Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

It's gonna be tough to beat out the Jaguars, IMO. They're likely to miss out on al of their prized targets. Cobb, Suh, Murray. That means they can blow other teams offers out of the water, and really just start overpaying guys. Throw in no state income tax in FL and I think Jacksonville will offer the best package to Hughes.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be tough to beat out the Jaguars, IMO. They're likely to miss out on al of their prized targets. Cobb, Suh, Murray. That means they can blow other teams offers out of the water, and really just start overpaying guys. Throw in no state income tax in FL and I think Jacksonville will offer the best package to Hughes.

except that there is a real possibility Marrone becomes the HC there.

@CharlesRobinson: #Bills #Bears. #Jets. #Giants. #Jaguars. RT @EaglesScoutBlog: What teams are you hearing are in on Hughes?

Hmmmm- interesting

@ProFootballWire: #NFL Unhappy with Chiefs, Houston hopes to attract an offer sheet http://t.co/p0ePBlFel2

Edited by YoloinOhio

I realize that the franchise tag for a DE was 14 million, but I wish the bills used it. It would have given them more time to work out a long term contract. I suppose Hughes could have simply played for the tag salary, but I'm guessing he would have wanted the extra guaranteed money a long-term contract would have given him.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

I realize that the franchise tag for a DE was 14 million, but I wish the bills used it. It would have given them more time to work out a long term contract. I suppose Hughes could have simply played for the tag salary, but I'm guessing he would have wanted the extra guaranteed money a long-term contract would have given him.

and if a long term deal could not be worked out $14M is huge cap hit for this year. That's why it wasn't used....

I'm just frustrated. I keep hearing how we're gonna build through the draft and re-sign our own, but that's rarely the case.

Thank God they have the sense to know not to treat a guiding principle like an absolute rule. Otherwise we'd have roughly $16 mil this year tied up in Byrd and Levitre.

I don't know about this, " the bills get last offer" thing.

Can't they put the offer out and say take it now or it's no good?

Why would teams be so willing to let the player go back to see if he can get a better deal with someone else?

I know I would want to know, so I can pursue other FAs, and not be stuck waiting.

Billeve me, I hope this is the case, but I think the pressure could get someone to just sign.

Very cool

@jchenelly: The 3 #Bills Pro Bowlers chipped in to bring Jerry Hughes with them to Phoenix for the all-star festivities. The Dline has lot of chemistry.

As the offers get higher and higher that's money out of Dareus' pockets basically and that's his best friend on the team. I understand getting the best offer but you can't expect the Bills to match the cheeseball offers from teams like Jacksonville who are desperate for someone and will pay anything. We have other guys we have to pay too and if they want to stick together then concessions will need to be made

Totally unrealistic.... BUT I wish the D-Line would come together and offer the Bills a full D-line deal that restructures Mario extends all of them for 4 years or so and provides all of them a rate that they themselves deem honest between themselves on the premises that all their contracts are vioded if one of them is cut or traded.

Totally unrealistic.... BUT I wish the D-Line would come together and offer the Bills a full D-line deal that restructures Mario extends all of them for 4 years or so and provides all of them a rate that they themselves deem honest between themselves on the premises that all their contracts are vioded if one of them is cut or traded.

You shouldn't drink this early. You want to extend Kyle Williams 4 more years?

As the offers get higher and higher that's money out of Dareus' pockets basically and that's his best friend on the team. I understand getting the best offer but you can't expect the Bills to match the cheeseball offers from teams like Jacksonville who are desperate for someone and will pay anything. We have other guys we have to pay too and if they want to stick together then concessions will need to be made

Dareus is unrelated. Now Kyle Williams yes. $7 million cap hit next year with no dead money if released. But I think Kyle would make that easily somewhere else.

Maybe only 1 year left with all 4 even if they sign Hughes. Gilmore will get atleast $10 million next year unless they extend him, hopefully.

But let's also remember the cap is jumping $10 million a year it seems. Plus still no big money QB.

I don't know about this, " the bills get last offer" thing.

Can't they put the offer out and say take it now or it's no good?

Why would teams be so willing to let the player go back to see if he can get a better deal with someone else?

I know I would want to know, so I can pursue other FAs, and not be stuck waiting.

Billeve me, I hope this is the case, but I think the pressure could get someone to just sign.

The whole "this is your offer sign it in 30 seconds or don't at all" isn't real. In the time they review it, it's easy to shoot all the other teams involved a text reading "5 years 55 - care to talk still?"