Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has a lot less to do with players restructuring/taking pay cuts and more to do with Marcel Darius

Marcel must be kept at all costs.....and he is going to get a VERY big contract.

I agree. Marcel is who they absolutely have to retain and that is going to cost big bucks. The Bills have all ready paid big on the DL. They cannot do those big contracts for 3 guys. Still, I think with Mario getting a monster 50mil guaranteed, he may be open to the idea of a minor pay cut. The Bills may be at 8mill/yr now. Maybe another 2mil will be enough to persuade him to stay.

F5 F5 F5 F5

still not link on the supposed report?

I see an title update though that indicates even the OP is doubting the initial report

(update -not so fast my friends)

i don't really "doubt" the report as much as I added another tweet that the Bills are optimistic they can sign him before 3/10.

He would still be testing FA... He can talk to other teams starting today and find out what his market value is.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't really "doubt" the report as much as I added another tweet that the Bills are optimistic they can sign him before 3/10.

He would still be testing FA... He can talk to other teams starting today and find out what his market value is.

I saw the tweet(s) posted on the prior page. (after I posted)

I'd rather the Bills get er done before a bidding war can get started.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

He can earn all of it back through incentives (2M for reaching AFC Championship, 2M for reaching Super Bowl).

I believe those all go towards the cap. Could be wrong.

This was my point about bounty gate. More than the pay for play and dirty hits. Illegally spending money and having it not go to the cap was a red flag for me.

Since the Bills players are pleading both sides to make a deal I think that there is a number that is so high that the Bills players will think was a generous number and if Hughes decides to go for the extra 2 million then they would not be upset with the organization "low balling" him. I think that number is around 10 million a year. So it will come down to whether Hughes wants the extra 2 million a year (yes, I think a team will offer him 12 million a year) or if he can live with 2 million less and enjoy the fun ride with his buddies on a monster defense guided by Rex.

If I were Hughes I think that my name recognition would shoot so far up the next 5 years that the money he's losing out on will eventually be recouped in endorsements and post football job opportunities.

I definitely think he'd earn his 10 million a year contract but I'm fine if the Bills stop at that number.

Edited by 1billsfan

Sorry, but I believe Hughes is a goner. The Bills should've at least put a tag on him if they were serious about keeping him. I'm concerned about our defense. We're losing 27% of last year's starting line-up and if you include Kiko that rises to 36%.

The Bills' front office has a tendency to rely on coaching far too much. With Gailey they never addressed the receiver position, with Marrone they didn't bother to fix the o-line and now with Rex they're letting go of valuable pieces to the strength of this team-the defense. Big mistake IMO.

Also, blowing our load before free agency even begins is a little troublesome to me. I'm not on board with the McCoy trade. He's an overused running back. He's an old 26, the draft is deep with RBs and he's far too expensive.

I'm not liking this offseason too much. How can we re-sign guys like Kyle, Marcell and Stephon when you're paying a RB that much money?

The fact they are still talking means the Bills haven't given their best offer yet.

My guess is this. The Bills are waiting to make their best offer to Hughes because they also want to see what's out there in free agency. Maybe someone else is looking at Rex Ryan and 3 pro bowl players and saying I want to play with them.

So today the Bills get to find out who wants to play in Buffalo, maybe McPhee, Derrick Morgan, Orakpo, Worlids want to play here and will ask for less than Hughes?

Also get to see the price of other free agent targets, then we can see how much cap we can use on Hughes or his replacement.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Sorry, but I believe Hughes is a goner. The Bills should've at least put a tag on him if they were serious about keeping him. I'm concerned about our defense. We're losing 27% of last year's starting line-up and if you include Kiko that rises to 36%.

The Bills' front office has a tendency to rely on coaching far too much. With Gailey they never addressed the receiver position, with Marrone they didn't bother to fix the o-line and now with Rex they're letting go of valuable pieces to the strength of this team-the defense. Big mistake IMO.

Also, blowing our load before free agency even begins is a little troublesome to me. I'm not on board with the McCoy trade. He's an overused running back. He's an old 26, the draft is deep with RBs and he's far too expensive.

I'm not liking this offseason too much. How can we re-sign guys like Kyle, Marcell and Stephon when you're paying a RB that much money?

The Bills are picking #50 and Gordon and Gurley will be long gone by then. The other RBs may be good, but just try picking the guy who's going to be a top 3 workhorse RB from the RBs left over.

The Bills getting McCoy just settled more than half of their offense next season and beyond. For a team with the NFL's top defense, that is huge and definitely worth the cap hit. It just is. As for him being too old, that's not true unless you are looking at him beyond three years from now. McCoy is in the second half of the prime of his career.

I don't want Hughes to leave, but the Bills will offer him a fair contract and that's all you can ask of them.

It will be depressing if Hughes leaves the Bills. The team has lost a lot of talent over recent years (Byrd, Levitre, Spiller and Hughes (likely)). With the trade of Kiko, that is a bunch of first and second round talent out the door with only McCoy in return. I get that Levitre and Byrd have been busts with their new teams, but that is due to injury, which no one can predict. Plus, the Bills have not found an adequate replacement for Levitre at guard, which has really hurt the offense.

If Hughes leaves, I hope the Bills have a plan to replace him with a quality player.

It will be depressing if Hughes leaves the Bills. The team has lost a lot of talent over recent years (Byrd, Levitre, Spiller and Hughes (likely)). With the trade of Kiko, that is a bunch of first and second round talent out the door with only McCoy in return. I get that Levitre and Byrd have been busts with their new teams, but that is due to injury, which no one can predict. Plus, the Bills have not found an adequate replacement for Levitre at guard, which has really hurt the offense.

If Hughes leaves, I hope the Bills have a plan to replace him with a quality player.

Every big name free agent they have let walk since Whaley has been the right move.

The Bills are picking #50 and Gordon and Gurley will be long gone by then. The other RBs may be good, but just try picking the guy who's going to be a top 3 workhorse RB from the RBs left over.

The Bills getting McCoy just settled more than half of their offense next season and beyond. For a team with the NFL's top defense, that is huge and definitely worth the cap hit. It just is. As for him being too old, that's not true unless you are looking at him beyond three years from now. McCoy is in the second half of the prime of his career.

I don't want Hughes to leave, but the Bills will offer him a fair contract and that's all you can ask of them.

agree with all of this

Byrd, didn't skip a beat. Levitre hurt us. Spiller, we upgraded. Hughes. He isn't gone yet

Edited by fansince88

Better yet, the Bills should just Opt Out.

:w00t:

Byrd, didn't skip a beat. Levitre hurt us. Spiller, we upgraded. Hughes. He isn't gone yet

Yes to all of the above. That said, Levitre hasn't exactly earned the preposterous money that lured him away from OBD.

Yes to all of the above. That said, Levitre hasn't exactly earned the preposterous money that lured him away from OBD.

True. Levitre's departure hurt us, but it didn't exactly do wonders for TEN.