Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

Realist? Is that what they call trolls that don't know anything?

Name calling? Nice. Stick around the boards for a little while rookie and you will see that I've forgotten more football than you will ever know

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name calling? Nice. Stick around the boards for a little while rookie and you will see that I've forgotten more football than you will ever know

I'll grant that you do appear to have forgotten a lot about football.

Look I want Hughes to stay...mostly because I know what we have in him

BUT

Not at 10-11 fricken million dollars........no way no way there ALL KINDS of good pass rushers available this offseason

Losing Hughes, lost out on Harris at MLB plus of course no Kiko, god forbid we lose Dareus next yr. Our defense isn't set, we are going to have to make some moves there too. The focus has been offense, and rightfully so, but now we have some glaring holes on defense as well

We are not losing Marcel....that will NOT happen

Losing Hughes, lost out on Harris at MLB plus of course no Kiko, god forbid we lose Dareus next yr. Our defense isn't set, we are going to have to make some moves there too. The focus has been offense, and rightfully so, but now we have some glaring holes on defense as well

I don't know that we have many significant holes.

The LB crew is still in good shape with Brown, Bradham and Lawson (those 3 could easily be starters in a 43 set).

The safety position has talent and depth with (presumably) Aaron and Duke starting, with Rambo and Meeks backing them up.

I do agree, however, that the D could use 2 pass rushers to replace Hughes. Odds are fair that the team can spend the same money that Hughes will get to obtain those two guys.

You are making more generalizations and assumptions in the bold than you warned me about making.

Of course the offers werent as high as they are now. No one could predict that he would be the TOP pass rusher in this year's FA class. Maybe one of the best, but certainly not the top of the list. Unfortunately, JPP and Justin Houston got tagged and just like that, Hughes' numbers went way up.

And you say it yourself, the only chance "hometown discount" comes into play is if they start talks early. Like they tried to.

The thing is, with the option of FA always looming in the background, it puts the team in the precarious position of negotiating against themselves. You can only make so many offers, and raise your numbers up so high, before you start really shooting yourself in the foot.

I get it, we all want(ed) to keep Hughes. But there is way more to it than the FO just "getting it done".

Who wouldnt hit FA if you were Hughes?

My assumptions here are that both sides wanted to get this done, and that now it's not going to get done. I also assumed that Hughes would be pissed if the hard offers were not matching management's optimism about getting a deal done, management under-appreciating his drive/work ethic and I assume management could have done more to make this happen. The rest of my statements you have bolded are simply conjecture.

We do not know how much they really tried to get a contract done in the spring. Whaley's quote from the following article didn't inspire confidence in me:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/74872/jerry-hughes-has-proven-worth-but-bills-must-be-cautious-with-their-coin

"I know J.O. has been in contact with his representatives and started the process," general manager Doug Whaley told WGR 550 on Thursday. "We're excited and we want him back. He's a great addition to our defense and hopefully we can get this thing done sooner than later."

"Thursday" refers to January 15th, 2015. This quote makes me wonder if management really did all they could to sign him in the spring or at any time during the season? Hughes is 26, also sacked Tom Brady 1.5 times last season. He's still got upside, but I do respect the view that he may not be as effective on another D-line. All I know is he's a talented, driven guy who was very effective for us. In the future we need to keep guys like him, IMO

Every team has depth. I wouldn't call Rambo and Meeks good or even solid depth.

So the guy who stepped in and picked off Aaron Rodgers twice last December isn't good or solid depth?

Every team has depth. I wouldn't call Rambo and Meeks good or even solid depth.

No, not every team has depth. This team has a guy on the roster (Duke) with 2 years NFL experience, who's play started to really come on late in the season, that is (presumably) ready to step into the starting role...that's hardly the case for many teams when a FA leaves.

As far as Rambo and Meeks go, at least Rambo showed flashes of being able to play in this league. Meeks, as I understand it, was also looking better in off-season work prior to getting hurt again.

I'm hardly polishing the apple here...this team can withstand the loss of certain guys (like Searcy). Losing a guy like Hughes requires that other talent be brought in at that spot.

As much as I'd like to re-sign Hughes, someone like a Hardy or Orakpo is gonna be salivating over coming here on a 1 year 'prove-it'-type deal where they can rack up sack numbers and cash in next year.

I like that idea. I wonder if players/agents would feel the same way. Makes sense though. Come here, get a dozen sacks, end up with a big long term contract with another team after that

It's a business and having such a short shelf life, players feel compelled to maximize the contracts. Also the vermin who call themselves agents are also into maximizing their take even more than their clients are. What is lost here how good a fit a player is within the defensive scheme utilized. Others mentioned this as well but maybe the Bills change back to a base 3-4 isn't Hughes strong suit (Colts used the 3-4 and he did zip there). I see Hughes getting a big contract but only collecting a couple years of it. I too do not see Hughes as "the man" but only a complimentary piece.....

Edited by Spiderweb

I want Brooks Reed to replace him. I wanted us to draft him in the worst way.

You know.....as interesting as the situation is...your right...there are actually a few guys that I envision shining next to our group of pro bowlers

Meanwhile.....I see Hughes having a tough go of it if he goes to another team....I am not wishing it on him at all just the reality of it

It's a business and having such a short shelf life, players feel compelled to maximize the contracts. Also the vermin who call themselves agents are also into maximizing their take even more than their clients are. What is lost here how good a fit a player is within the defensive scheme utilized. Others mentioned this as well but maybe the Bills change back to a base 3-4 isn't Hughes strong suit (Colts used the 3-4 and he did zip there). I see Hughes getting a big contract but only collecting a couple years of it. I too do not see Hughes as "the man" but only a complimentary piece.....

Doesn't matter...it's the guaranteed money that's important and he'll probably get a lot.

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

If 31 yr old limited LB David Harris got 15 mil gtd how much is Hughes going to get? At least twice that if not more.

Btw not sure about anyone else but I still haven't seen this reported anywhere else but that one tweet. Not that I doubt it is what he will do.

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

everything reports to them not waiting. But I think they view Dareus as pretty much irreplaceable. They will give him what he wants. I don't think they view Hughes that way. Jmo.

Oh?

@SalSports: A source has informed me the Bills are still working hard towards retaining Jerry Hughes & "still optimistic" they can before FA opens 3/10.

Edited by YoloinOhio