Beatles vs. Stones

Beatles Stones  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better band

How big of an influence do you think Martin had on it? Obviously huge, but do you think he could have taken, say Herman's Hermits, Gerry and the Pacemakers, or any of the other British Invasion bands and turned them into what the Beatles became?

Good question! Martin's influences were in producing big band/orchestrations prior to his Beatles gig. Its well documented that he added or suggested additional instruments, different tempo's, session musicians. His recording skills were essential as the 1st synthesizers, multi-tack recording and even stereo were being invented and introduced. The music world dropped dead in their tracks when Sgt. Pepper was released. Beach Boys followed suit quickly -along these lines- and it catapulted them to incredible heights as well.

To your question, yes, with the advent of fantastic new technology and bona fide success in musical production, I presume he could have done the same with the bands you mentioned. It was a moment in time and these 5 talented guys happened to be together messing with it. It was about to happen anyway. Somebody had to be first.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George Martin produced America, and they still sucked. He also produced Cheap Trick's All Shook Up, the album where IMO they jumped the shark. I think his contributions to the Beatles were over-rated myself.

George Martin produced Blow by Blow. jeff Becks first solo album and all instrumental. To this day it is still considered one of the best rock/blues/ jazz fusion albums of all time. of course Jeff Beck had a lot to do with that. he also produced Becks instrumental version of the Beatles A day in the life. Which may have won him a Grammy for. Too lazy to look.

Anybody that can produce The Beastie Boys, Johnny Cash, and ZZ Top's most recent album (which was awesome, BTW. Went back to their pre eliminator blues-rock roots.) is cool with me.

Chili Peppers - BSSM

Cult - Electric

The list goes on and on. The guy is a genius.

Chili Peppers - BSSM

Cult - Electric

The list goes on and on. The guy is a genius.

Wandering Spirit is a most excellent album. Compare that to the total crap produced for the Stones by the hack Don Was. :thumbdown:

George Martin produced Blow by Blow. jeff Becks first solo album and all instrumental. To this day it is still considered one of the best rock/blues/ jazz fusion albums of all time. of course Jeff Beck had a lot to do with that. he also produced Becks instrumental version of the Beatles A day in the life. Which may have won him a Grammy for. Too lazy to look.

Well you got me there. Blow By Blow is great, and I also like Wired.

Wandering Spirit is a most excellent album. Compare that to the total crap produced for the Stones by the hack Don Was. :thumbdown:

Well you got me there. Blow By Blow is great, and I also like Wired.

I was never much of a Jeff Beck enthusiast, but I had both of those albums and they are gold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...