93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better band

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if that's what we're basing this on the original members of the Allman Brothers is the best rock and roll band ever!

Yeah ... I'd like to see the Allman Brothers try to take on the Bay City Rollers.

DLR's solo debut was "Eat 'Em and Smile."

For what it's worth, Billy Sheehan played bass on that album. I got to see them tour that album when I lived in North Carolina, and watching Vai and Sheehan together was a thing of beauty. I don't know if people from WNY realize how world-renowned Sheehan is.

From what I've read, Ronnie Van Zandt was quite the fighter.

Saw them at the Aud. Someone up front tried to jump up and grab his hat. Bashed to dude in the face with the base of the mic stand. :worthy:

I'm not quite sure about the rest of the band. The ABB would brawl as a group. Well all except Jaimoe I think but I could be wrong about him. Always be weary of the silent ones. And Dickey Betts was nucking futz. And their tour manager Twiggs Lyndon stabbed a club owner in Buffalo to death for not paying them. Yup my money's on the Brothers.

So what Allman Bro is taking him on?

Dickey.

For what it's worth, Billy Sheehan played bass on that album. I got to see them tour that album when I lived in North Carolina, and watching Vai and Sheehan together was a thing of beauty. I don't know if people from WNY realize how world-renowned Sheehan is.

I was in high school during that tour. He came to Glens Falls and a friend of mine saw Gregg Bisonette (drummer) in the mall. She asked him for an autograph made out to me, which he did. It said, "To Gug - Eat 'em and Smile!" and he signed it. I still have it to this day inside the program that I bought.

DLR surrounded himself with all great musicians. I saw him on his next tour, as well, in Glens Falls. That was the last time. I'm glad I got to see him twice in the 80s. I just wish I'd seen the original VH.

Details, please. Because everything Richards played was played generations before him. And the Stones had very little musical talent; talent isn't what Rock and Roll is about, though, so it didn't matter. The Beatles created their own genre and did it with an incredible amount of talent - mostly from Paul McCartney.

Lennon > Macca

Lennon > Macca

I've always been a Paul guy. Since childhood. As I get older, I continue to appreciate Lennon more and more. But McCartney has, in my opinion, more overall talent. I think Lennon may be the better lyricist. But that's about it. Believe me, I'm not saying Lennon is untalented. That would be silly. I just think Macca has more. But I would never state that as fact.

I've always been a Paul guy. Since childhood. As I get older, I continue to appreciate Lennon more and more. But McCartney has, in my opinion, more overall talent. I think Lennon may be the better lyricist. But that's about it. Believe me, I'm not saying Lennon is untalented. That would be silly. I just think Macca has more. But I would never state that as fact.

When they were truly at their greatest, it was Lennon's band. Also, after the split, Lennon at least put out POB & Imagine. OTOH, Macca completely jumped the shark.... nothing but trash outside of a handful of songs, despite recent revisionist history. What a monumental waste of talent. Still, he did make a ton of money since then, and he'll always be a Beatle.

When they were truly at their greatest, it was Lennon's band. Also, after the split, Lennon at least put out POB & Imagine. OTOH, Macca completely jumped the shark.... nothing but trash outside of a handful of songs, despite recent revisionist history. What a monumental waste of talent. Still, he did make a ton of money since then, and he'll always be a Beatle.

We will have to agree to disagree. I am a big fan of McCartney's solo work; especially the Wings albums. He had a flair for the poppy stuff while he was a Beatle. That's what he went with as a solo artist and, as you said, it made him an obscene amount of money. I think calling him a monumental waste of talent is a tad much; but I totally see why one might think that. He did release a lot of pop trash. He has always been an entertainer at heart. But there was never an album that was without substance.

I was in high school during that tour. He came to Glens Falls and a friend of mine saw Gregg Bisonette (drummer) in the mall. She asked him for an autograph made out to me, which he did. It said, "To Gug - Eat 'em and Smile!" and he signed it. I still have it to this day inside the program that I bought.

DLR surrounded himself with all great musicians. I saw him on his next tour, as well, in Glens Falls. That was the last time. I'm glad I got to see him twice in the 80s. I just wish I'd seen the original VH.

Did he play Ladies Night in Buffalo?

We will have to agree to disagree. I am a big fan of McCartney's solo work; especially the Wings albums. He had a flair for the poppy stuff while he was a Beatle. That's what he went with as a solo artist and, as you said, it made him an obscene amount of money. I think calling him a monumental waste of talent is a tad much; but I totally see why one might think that. He did release a lot of pop trash. He has always been an entertainer at heart. But there was never an album that was without substance.

I think Macca peaked on the Wings over America tour. They were really great..............But, man has he put out some horrible clunkers - Say Say Say, Ebony and Ivory, and a whole bunch I'm not thinking of right now.

I think Macca peaked on the Wings over America tour. They were really great..............But, man has he put out some horrible clunkers - Say Say Say, Ebony and Ivory, and a whole bunch I'm not thinking of right now.

Here's a more recent McCartney song that feels like it could have come from the White Album era.

Lennon took himself very seriously. Almost too seriously. Not that his solo career didn't have a few fun songs here and there, but it was all some serious heavy stuff. Paul, not to say that he didn't take himself or his career seriously, but wrote songs that were much more lighthearted and fun, which also came out with some pretty cheesy ones.

Beatles are great and all but they can't touch Csnt You Hear Me Knocking or Gimme Shelter or Monkey Man etc.

Sympathy for the Devil. Greatest lyrics of the '60s. Way better than anything The Beatles, or even Dylan did. Not saying that overall they were necessarily better lyricists, but that one song defines the 60s.

Sympathy for the Devil. Greatest lyrics of the '60s. Way better than anything The Beatles, or even Dylan did. Not saying that overall they were necessarily better lyricists, but that one song defines the 60s.

Theriouthly?