Draft Picks for Salary Cap Cash

Virgil

In baseball, you can trade players for cash. Why not be able to do that in the NFL? Let's say the cowboys like their team, but are 10 million over the cap. There would be a set value of each pick and they could trade it for cap relief. The team trading the cap cash loses that money from their cap.

I feel like this would actually help some teams and allow other teams ways to make some trades.

For example, the Eagles are now 31 million under the cap, they could use that money to give someone in the top 10 cap relief to move up.

I'm sure there is a logical reason as to why this can't happen, but I'm curious.

i dont think you could do salary cap directly, but the eagles could sign a guy with a high signing bonus then trade him. they take the cap hit for the bonus and new team gets the player at a reduced hit

that costs both cap and cash though.

Edited by NoSaint

The reason is because they already see cap relief by not having to pay for the draft pick when they sign him. If you trade the #1 overall pick, you are saving $4 or $5M of cap space year one and an extra $1M per year on top of the previous season the next 3 years by not having that player on your team...your cap relief.

Also, the NFLPA would never allow money to be traded and taken out of the salary cap (as what would be happening in your example as whatever the cap cash traded would basically just disappear from the pie).

The reason is because they already see cap relief by not having to pay for the draft pick when they sign him. If you trade the #1 overall pick, you are saving $4 or $5M of cap space year one and an extra $1M per year on top of the previous season the next 3 years by not having that player on your team...your cap relief.

Also, the NFLPA would never allow money to be traded and taken out of the salary cap (as what would be happening in your example as whatever the cap cash traded would basically just disappear from the pie).

That wouldn't be any different than dead money.

The money goes to debt created by player contracts. I don't see where the issue would be

i dont think you could do salary cap directly, but the eagles could sign a guy with a high signing bonus then trade him. they take the cap hit for the bonus and new team gets the player at a reduced hit

that costs both cap and cash though.

That's what I'm asking. Why not do a direct money transfer and then you have it for your cap space.

I think there would be a provision that they money has to be spent. You can't just pocket the money as an owner

I like your idea of teams renting cap space. But I think that it would only lead to cheap owners selling off massive amounts of their cap space for mid to late round picks simply as a way to reach the floor and avoid having to spend while at the same time getting cheap young players. It would really throw off the competitive balance of the league. I could imagine the Bengals selling off 30 million in cap space every year.