No.12 UB vs. No.5 WVU Fri 3/20 2pm NCAA Rd.2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Ohio, fell apart down the stretch...

Blew a 19 point 2nd half lead. Still makes me nauseous thinking about that game.

Yes, the big game tonight will be sold out. Wish I could be there. If you get ESPN3/WatchESPN, the game is on at 7pm, or on-demand later.

Blew a 19 point 2nd half lead. Still makes me nauseous thinking about that game.

Yes, the big game tonight will be sold out. Wish I could be there. If you get ESPN3/WatchESPN, the game is on at 7pm, or on-demand later.

Sweet. DirecTV subscribers finally have access to these so I'll be watching!

Yeah I know UB never made the tournament & I also know it was St Bonaventure. I just forgot to put Bona before that sentence. I remember that game like it was yesterday. I was just out of college & had my first real job. Me & my friends all blew off work that afternoon & watched the game up at Coulter bay. Man did we get loaded that day. I ended staying there to about midnight. My then girlfriend(now my wife of 14 years) had to come pick me up that night. I could barely walk out of the bar. She should of known that was signs to come. haha That was a good time that day.

The Barrel House was owned by a Bona grad and filled with all us Bona people that day. We should have fouled Tayshawn Prince instead of letting him shoot that three!.............Tim Winn should have made the layup to win it.........Caswell Cyrus was called for hanging on the rim because he didn't want to hurt the UK player underneath him.

The good memory is David Messiah Capers making all three shots at the line, even with Tubby icing him before at least two of the shots, and despite the fact that he was a terrible foul shooter!

What has got into the student body that they are finally into it?

The athletic department has been heavily promoting the games to students. T-shirt giveaways, free food, even a chance to win tuition money if you make a half court shot. Then having a truly exciting team that has players showing up on Sport Center's Top 10 helps. There may well be a #1 play by Lamonte Bearden from yesterday.

On to Cleveland!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Highlights of last night's game. Check out the steal and layup by Lamonte Bearden at the :36 sec mark. It's sick. (The dude is a freshman!) Don't buy the hype that Syracuse is the only big time ball in NY State.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The athletic department has been heavily promoting the games to students. T-shirt giveaways, free food, even a chance to win tuition money if you make a half court shot. Then having a truly exciting team that has players showing up on Sport Center's Top 10 helps. There may well be a #1 play by Lamonte Bearden from yesterday.

On to Cleveland!

Thanks for the info!

not a UB fan, but hopefully Shaka Smart started a trend of building and sticking with a program for a while. Coaches like that become almost royalty...Shaka Smart can do no wrong in Richmond. The college basketball landscape has changed and 'lesser' schools are becoming more and more viable every season.

I hope I'm wrong but Hurley seems like a guy who would jump at a job offer.

I didn't tealzie how pathetic UB basketball has been. But the whole program is on a raise. Syracuse better watch their back. There might be a new power in NYS.

I hope I'm wrong but Hurley seems like a guy who would jump at a job offer.

I didn't tealzie how pathetic UB basketball has been. But the whole program is on a raise. Syracuse better watch their back. There might be a new power in NYS.

I wouldn't say the basketball team was pathetic. (Football? Absolutely.) Reggie Witherspoon averaged 17-18 wins a season. The problem was they never won the MAC and never got to dance.

Hurley has put his mark on this team, brought in some sick talent like Bearden, and is fired up to win every game. Sometimes too fired up as evidenced by all the T's he earns. But UB basketball is playing at a level it never has before.

On to Cleveland!

Alumni Arena is a perfect on campus basketball facility for UB. I was there years back when the Tar Heels came to town & that place was rocking. The problem is the place is usually only 40% filled up. Doing they get a double bye & go right to the semifinals in their tournament or is it just a single bye?

I wouldn't say the basketball team was pathetic. (Football? Absolutely.) Reggie Witherspoon averaged 17-18 wins a season. The problem was they never won the MAC and never got to dance.

Hurley has put his mark on this team, brought in some sick talent like Bearden, and is fired up to win every game. Sometimes too fired up as evidenced by all the T's he earns. But UB basketball is playing at a level it never has before.

Agreed, Niagara & to a lesser extent Canisius have been the pathetic programs in the area as of late. UB has had a decent run since Witherspoon took over. I do agree with biscuit on one thing though. I think Hurley is the type of guy who would jump at the chance to coach a bigger program. Hopefully that will be at least a few years away.

Edited by Gordio

Alumni Arena is a perfect on campus basketball facility for UB. I was there years back when the Tar Heels came to town & that place was rocking. The problem is the place is usually only 40% filled up. Doing they get a double bye & go right to the semifinals in their tournament or is it just a single bye?

Agreed, Niagara & to a lesser extent Canisius have been the pathetic programs in the area as of late. UB has had a decent run since Witherspoon took over. I do agree with biscuit on one thing though. I think Hurley is the type of guy who would jump at the chance to coach a bigger program. Hopefully that will be at least a few years away.

UB is #2 seed so they double-bye to the semis. Two wins and they dance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MAC_Men%27s_Basketball_Tournament

I spend time at UBfan.com and some folks within the athletic dept say Hurley is happy at UB and if he gets paid what he's worth he's inclined to stay. It's also said that Hurley is very loyal to his star recruits. He just landed another primo guard JUCO transfer in Maurice O'Field. He chose UB over schools like Maryland, Marquette and Arizona State! Hurley finds and signs talent.

I sure hope he stays at UB. Hurley can get big time players to Buffalo because he's Bob Hurley! If he bolts to a bigger program then he will compete against programs that can stand on their own to recruit. I'd like to see UB keep him happy financially and maybe Hurley can build a legacy here with multiple NCAA tourney bids..

I'd like to believe Hurley would stay, but does anyone really believe that? A couple of NCAA appearances for UB and he'll be gone to one of the big conferences.

And sure enough...

Mark Gaughan ‏@gggaughan 11m11 minutes ago

UB has begun negotiations to extend the contract of BKB coach Bobby Hurley, The News has learned. UB 21-9 & prospects very bright for nxt yr

And sure enough...

Mark Gaughan ‏@gggaughan 11m11 minutes ago

UB has begun negotiations to extend the contract of BKB coach Bobby Hurley, The News has learned. UB 21-9 & prospects very bright for nxt yr

The only thing more meaningless than contracts for college coaches was Tiger Woods' wedding ring.

Hurley wants to be big time. It's a shame because he could build something special here. Buffalo is in its best shape in like 50 years.