Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

Not trying to predict the future or other moves, but a source told me about 15 minutes ago that FA will be fun- we aren't done... I think the $12M-$13M cap figure I have seen is inaccurate

Hey have not seen you post in awhile! Did they say anything re: Hughes by any chance?

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could be right about them worrying about Alonzo's health. I had thought he was given a clear bill of health, though. There are also rumors they will be taking a run at David Harris. Which leads me to one of my concerns about bringing in Ryan. While I trust he will build a fine defense, at what cost? Is he rebuilding what wasn't broken, to make it into "his defense"? If so, doesn't this take time, energy and cash away from fixing what really needed to be fixed? Adding McCoy certainly looks like a big positive move for the offense--but at a position that really wasn't broken and usually isn't that hard to fix/build.

Anyway, those were my knee-jerk reactions (that I'm not entirely past, it seems). But as I try to be a reasoned fan, I will let this thing play out and try not overreact to any one move. Let's see what the end product looks like.

Come to think of it, that's why the font was big. I cut/pasted from a message I sent in from my business email. Since I have many REALLY old clients, I bumped my font in that account.

Add that to the cost of Marrone opting out. Unfortunately, anyone who the Bills were forced to bring in would have to re-make the team to fit their vision. Maybe the only exception was to have moved Schwartz to Head Coach. Hopefully, the tweaking on defense is minimal and not too costly.

My question is: Would Jake Locker, (or Matt Moore, Or Hoyer, or any of the other crappy guys going into FA), be less inclined to accept an offer from the Bills, knowing that Cassel has been added to the competition?

said it before, say it again...do you really want a QB who was afraid of EJ and now Cassel?

said it before, say it again...do you really want a QB who was afraid of EJ and now Cassel?

That's an irrelevant question, semantics notwithstanding. If there is a QB in FA who is better than Cassel, would they be less likely to sign with the Bills now that we have acquired Cassel, feeling that Cassel would decrease their chances of becoming the starter? If that makes them "afraid of EJ and now Cassel," (it doesn't) then so what? If they are a better option than Cassel, then yes, I want them.

Also- the same source told me that Hughes situation isn't good... That info was from Whaley

I had a sneaking suspicion of that when a deal wasn't announced as soon as other folks "in the know" said it might. Knowing how the Bills will need to pay Dareus and Gilmore soon, I'm not surprised they wouldn't be willing to absolutely break the bank for Hughes -- who no doubt benefits from the players he is playing beside.

Good to hear we're in for a fun ride during FA though...

That's an irrelevant question, semantics notwithstanding. If there is a QB in FA who is better than Cassel, would they be less likely to sign with the Bills now that we have acquired Cassel, feeling that Cassel would decrease their chances of becoming the starter? If that makes them "afraid of EJ and now Cassel," (it doesn't) then so what? If they are a better option than Cassel, then yes, I want them.

QBs typically don't want for having confidence in their abilities. If the Bills do in fact want to bring in another QB during FA I would expect them to be open with candidates. The slate is clean, we need a starting QB and we want to give you the chance to be that guy...

If someone says no to that, money aside, then he's not worth being here in the first place IMO.

I had a sneaking suspicion of that when a deal wasn't announced as soon as other folks "in the know" said it might. Knowing how the Bills will need to pay Dareus and Gilmore soon, I'm not surprised they wouldn't be willing to absolutely break the bank for Hughes -- who no doubt benefits from the players he is playing beside.

Good to hear we're in for a fun ride during FA though...

I'm still running through scenarios.... I also hear Peyton took like a $4M pay cut... Makes me wonder if that is to keep Julius.... I can see them making a run at Iupati and giving him something like the Levitre contract.... Think Revis would be too pricey.... Not sure you can get Iupati and a better TE.... Lots of options.... I can't wait!

Not trying to predict the future or other moves, but a source told me about 15 minutes ago that FA will be fun- we aren't done... I think the $12M-$13M cap figure I have seen is inaccurate

do you think there will be a FA QB?

I don't.... I can see drafting a developmental prospect, but this is just my speculation.... I can see our FA focus at OL (guard), TE, LB, or maybe a bigger WR....

I could see someone like Locker being so cheap that it wouldn't make sense not to. But fair enough.

QBs typically don't want for having confidence in their abilities. If the Bills do in fact want to bring in another QB during FA I would expect them to be open with candidates. The slate is clean, we need a starting QB and we want to give you the chance to be that guy...

If someone says no to that, money aside, then he's not worth being here in the first place IMO.

I disagree.

If I were Matt Moore, for example, and I was given the choice between the Bills, with Cassel, and the Jets, with Geno (assuming Vick goes elsewhere), I might be more inclined to go with the Jets, because Geno is a train wreck.

Also, who is to say that Cassel isn't that very same guy you describe?

If there is a better FAQB than Cassel, I want them. So, my original question remains: does the signing of Cassel make it less likely we will get them?

I don't.... I can see drafting a developmental prospect, but this is just my speculation.... I can see our FA focus at OL (guard), TE, LB, or maybe a bigger WR....

If true, then it would appear the plan is EJ with Cassel as a mentor/backup, and draft one of the projects in the 3rd round or later. I can live with that if FA provides legitimate upgrades at OG and TE.

Probably. But I would doubt that they make the trade unless they thought Cassell was a safe, decent option. He's better than these other guys. Roman has won with guys like him. I seriously doubt they bring in Hoyer after Cassell but Locker would not surprise me. He has the potential and upside.

You really think he's better than Moore? I thought that's who you wanted. Personally, I think Cassel sucks (not that those other guys are prizes).