HS team forfeits tournament victory - wore wrong uniforms

Yeah! Let's punish high school athletes for this atrocity. :doh:

I'd think if this was such a major offense, the referees (or AD, or some adult) would have warned the coach before the tip off. The only losers here are the kids who can never get another season of HS hoops back.

In 1988, my High School (Webster, NY) B-Ball team lost in the section 5 finals in a very good close game to Bishop Kearney.

It came out later that Bishop Kearney showed up in the wrong color uniforms. Webster had an alternate uniform available so the game went on as scheduled. The way I heard it, the Webster coach could have protested and asked for a forfeit, but he declined in the interest of sportsmanship. That’s obviously the classy decision.

next time maybe some team will wear rainbow colors on their uniforms to support LGBT, then some teams can wear sky blue to support Darfur, then maybe some team can wear fur collars on their jerseys to support peoples rights to wear fur. Rules apparently state uniform changes must be pre-approved, or at least notified.

But...but...it's for the children, think of the children, they meant well...

don't want to get disqualified, don't go against the rules, no matter how trivial or stupid they may be.

next time maybe some team will wear rainbow colors on their uniforms to support LGBT, then some teams can wear sky blue to support Darfur, then maybe some team can wear fur collars on their jerseys to support peoples rights to wear fur. Rules apparently state uniform changes must be pre-approved, or at least notified.

But...but...it's for the children, think of the children, they meant well...

don't want to get disqualified, don't go against the rules, no matter how trivial or stupid they may be.

The (presumed on my part) point is that some 'adult' had to sign off on these uniforms. The adult coach and the adult AD come back for 'next season.' the seniors on that team don't. It is about the kids....and the fact that they are the only ones who are punished. Wearing 'pink' accents has become more than commonplace in every sport...on every level. This is not an outlier in any sense.

Personally, I don't think it's incumbent on HS teenagers to know the nuances of District/state/city playoff rules. As the article alludes, they had already worn them for one playoff game with no mention of it. Both the coach and the Principal claim to not realize this was a violation. The negligence (if any) lies with them. Suspend the AD and the coach. Let the kids play.

agreed, but again, i bet the rule doesn't allow for allowing some sort of leeway in assigning blame, change the rules

The (presumed on my part) point is that some 'adult' had to sign off on these uniforms. The adult coach and the adult AD come back for 'next season.' the seniors on that team don't. It is about the kids....and the fact that they are the only ones who are punished. Wearing 'pink' accents has become more than commonplace in every sport...on every level. This is not an outlier in any sense.

Personally, I don't think it's incumbent on HS teenagers to know the nuances of District/state/city playoff rules. As the article alludes, they had already worn them for one playoff game with no mention of it. Both the coach and the Principal claim to not realize this was a violation. The negligence (if any) lies with them. Suspend the AD and the coach. Let the kids play.

In 1988, my High School (Webster, NY) B-Ball team lost in the section 5 finals in a very good close game to Bishop Kearney.

It came out later that Bishop Kearney showed up in the wrong color uniforms. Webster had an alternate uniform available so the game went on as scheduled. The way I heard it, the Webster coach could have protested and asked for a forfeit, but he declined in the interest of sportsmanship. That’s obviously the classy decision.

Edison was Maroon and Gold. I don't ever recall the opportunity to wear the wrong colors as I don't recall a variety of uni's

The Varsity sweaters were all white trimmed in Maroon the Varsity letter a maroon E, with gold edging.

But they can, if they follow the rules and seek permission from the league beforehand. Just like the boys team does in advance of October

Seems a little nuts that the boys football team can wear pink unis in October for Breast Cancer Awareness, but the girls, who actually have breasts and one day may develop cancer, cannot because their season doesn't start until December.

But they can, if they follow the rules and seek permission from the league beforehand. Just like the boys team does in advance of October

The impression I got from reading the story is that this coach has a history of not knowing the rules (or not caring). Sow now that she's out but the team is still allowed to play, it seems like the appropriate response.