Pennington's comments at the NFL combine....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was EJ really benched after week 4? Performance or in deference to a seasoned 50% QB named Orton???

A big reason EJ was benched was his passes were so badly placed he was getting Woods and Watkins killed as they contorted themselves make circus catches. Do you not recall the vicious hits they took trying to catch those wobbly ducks that were behind them?

Then there was Marrone seeing the season slip away.

please read every other EJ threads. EJ was a rookie thrown in to a fast paced professional O even a seasoned QB has struggles with. SEE the Eagles!!! 2nd year 3rd QB?

Why was EJ really benched after week 4? Performance or in deference to a seasoned 50% QB named Orton???

WRT to Chad Pennington

Those than can do, those that can't teach or analyze

This is a classic example of your posts not even making any sense. What exactly are you trying to say about the eagles? And yes performance is the reason that EJ was benched last year, exactly. In his last game as the bills starter Robert woods was targeted 12 times and had 3 catches for 17 yards. That pretty much says it all. And lots of great qbs have gone on to become good analysts- Bradshaw, fouts, aikman just to name a few- what are you talking about? 0 for 3 on that one pal. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Exactly how I feel, especially the last part.

EJ has always impressed me more when he's playing "fast", 2 minute drills, 4th quarter/OT, etc... he seems to play more aggressive, moves around a bit, and is more natural. I'm not an expert, but I always got the impression for a good part of the game he was overthinking what his coaches were drilling in to him, but when forced to "just play" he did well.

this

Exactly how I feel, especially the last part.

EJ has always impressed me more when he's playing "fast", 2 minute drills, 4th quarter/OT, etc... he seems to play more aggressive, moves around a bit, and is more natural. I'm not an expert, but I always got the impression for a good part of the game he was overthinking what his coaches were drilling in to him, but when forced to "just play" he did well.

And ive said it a few times, but how often in preseason or even the regular season did we hear "EJ seemed to really have a strong drive randomly in the second quarter - what was going on there??" "oh ejs radio went out so he was freelancing a bit more"

i recall atleast 2-3 instances off hand, in a rather short sampling of playing time.

Edited by NoSaint

And Orton didn't?? I can recall 4 poor passes that if not for Sammy contorted themselves make circus catch attempts would have gone for pick 6's against Kyle.

A big reason EJ was benched was his passes were so badly placed he was getting Woods and Watkins killed as they contorted themselves make circus catches. Do you not recall the vicious hits they took trying to catch those wobbly ducks that were behind them?

Then there was Marrone seeing the season slip away.

I have provided the reason why EJ was "benched". You can choose to ignore that bit of the truth all you want. There is no way for a QB to truly develop unless he's on the field, with smart coached behind him and not holding a grudge against the GM.

And Orton didn't?? I can recall 4 poor passes that if not for Sammy contorted themselves make circus catch attempts would have gone for pick 6's against Kyle.

I have provided the reason why EJ was "benched". You can choose to ignore that bit of the truth all you want. There is no way for a QB to truly develop unless he's on the field, with smart coached behind him and not holding a grudge against the GM.

You're just a marrone hater. He only had two years to prove himself- it's still way too early to tell if he's a good coach or not.

Well, he didn't get hurt. :lol:

My real point, though, is that EJ didn't really have a full "year 1" -- he missed a lot of preseason and only played in 10 games. He has still played in fewer than an entire season's worth. And the coaching stunk.

If he doesn't show improvement in training camp and preseason with a new staff and almost an entire season of watching from the sidelines, then I begin to agree that it's time to move on.

That's fair. You don't always get as much time as you'd like, but you get the time you need.

The game is changing and the urgency to win is greater which means the patience for young players, even QB's, to develop is declining. Fair or not it's up or out nowadays.

This is a classic example of your posts not even making any sense. What exactly are you trying to say about the eagles? And yes performance is the reason that EJ was benched last year, exactly. In his last game as the bills starter Robert woods was targeted 12 times and had 3 catches for 17 yards. That pretty much says it all.

as I mentioned, think about it instead of reacting.

Since the fast paced O was put in place by Chip Kelly, how many QB's has he had as the #1 in the last 2 years?

Nick Foles http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

Mike Vick http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

Mark Sanchez http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SancMa00.htm

Failed, failed, and failed

Saint Doug tried that same approach with a wet behind the ears ROOKIE. buh bye please stop trolling

You're just a marrone hater. He only had two years to prove himself- it's still way too early to tell if he's a good coach or not.

classy twist and turn to misconstrue everything I say. Bravo... keep up the good work!!!

Marrone QUIT on the team did he not? Ergo I can say he did not prove himself!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

as I mentioned, think about it instead of reacting.

Since the fast paced O was put in place by Chip Kelly, how many QB's has he had as the #1 in the last 2 years?

Nick Foles http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00.htm

Mike Vick http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

Mark Sanchez http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SancMa00.htm

Failed, failed, and failed

Saint Doug tried that same approach with a wet behind the ears ROOKIE. buh bye please stop trolling

classy twist and turn to misconstrue everything I say. Bravo... keep up the good work!!!

Marrone QUIT on the team did he not? Ergo I can say he did not prove himself!

I don't like Marrone either, I was giving you a hard time on that one. And what is with the vitriol? You are not a good enough, persuasive enough or articulate enough of a poster to make these points and then cap them off with a "buh bye." Bear in mind you just dropped a "buh bye" on me after telling me that quarterbacks are unable to succeed in Chip Kelly's fast paced offense! In his second year as a pro (you know, the same year EJ was in last year), Nick Foles threw for 27 TD's and 2 INT's. Then this year, Mark Sanchez, a QB who had been pissed on by everyone in America and left for dead, who no I don't want on the Bills, started magically throwing for big numbers- numbers no one thought it physically possible for him to put up- and was actually winning games for a stretch in Chip Kelly's offense. In fact, people on this very website continually tell me that Nick Floes isn't that good, he only put up those numbers because he had the benefit of playing in Chip Kelly's offense. And also Sanchez only played because Foles got hurt. Foles was 7-2 this year (remember- winning games is the only thing that matters, that's what you always say??) So again, what in the world are you talking about?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Inaccuracy can be caused by many things.

Maybe the kid just has poor hand-eye coordination (inferior genetics). That kind of inaccuracy cannot be cured.

But other causes can potentially be fixed:

* poor timing

* poor mechanics

* poor poise in the pocket (which leads to poor mechanics)

* bad route running by the WRs

* unfamiliarity with the speed & route tendencies of the WRs

* poor progressions (you're more likely to complete the pass if you're throwing to the open guy)

* and so on.

The QB coach last year said EJ's biggest accuracy problem was in fact poor timing. Too often EJ was accurately throwing to where the guy was, instead of where he would be.

Then again, I've seen EJ cleanly launch some long balls that were off target which makes me worry about his natural accuracy.

That's fair. You don't always get as much time as you'd like, but you get the time you need.

The game is changing and the urgency to win is greater which means the patience for young players, even QB's, to develop is declining. Fair or not it's up or out nowadays.

By all accounts Kyle Orton was an intense practice player who taught EJ that the QB can't be "buddy buddy" with everyone...hopefully that part of growing up will also play a role in EJ's development.

By all accounts Kyle Orton was an intense practice player who taught EJ that the QB can't be "buddy buddy" with everyone...hopefully that part of growing up will also play a role in EJ's development.

I also think EJ saw how the WR's responded with their quotes in regards to Orton knowing and communicating exactly where he wanted them to be

Nick Foles failed in the Kelly offense? In 2013? What

Foles was put in place because Michael Vick got benched. For theatseason, Vick has thrown for 2,165 yards, 11 total touchdowns and nine interceptions with a 58.5 completion percentage.

Then the following season Foles got benched and then Shankchez, back and forth it went.

3 QB's all benched because they had issues!!!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I was actually impressed with Tebow's commentary, though it was out of turn, during the college bowl games. He saw plays developing that the cameramen couldn't even follow.

From a mile up, in the booth.

Trump card played.

. . . mate in 3.

. Too often EJ was accurately throwing to where the guy was, instead of where he would be.

Honestly Hondo, i am not bagging on you, but this sentence made me laugh. If a coach actually said this, and I believe you that someone did, this would be like saying the that the balls were thrown accurately to where they landed. I mean, a guy running a route was a lot of places before he got to where he should be.

Foles was put in place because Michael Vick got benched. For theatseason, Vick has thrown for 2,165 yards, 11 total touchdowns and nine interceptions with a 58.5 completion percentage.

Then the following season Foles got benched and then Shankchez, back and forth it went.

3 QB's all benched because they had issues!!!

Wrong. Foles was injured.