RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ stinks. He's not even as good as Jeff Tuel. I can't imagine why they wouldn't cut him.

I wanted us to draft EJ. It was in my TBD sig for over a year after the draft. Even when I made posts in the "EJ hater" category. I wanted it to be clear that I loved him once, but changed my mind.

I love Tuel. I love his moxie. I love that he truly understands his job: To deliver the ball to playmakers. Deliver it.

If they cut EJ, it would be odd considering they arent paying him much. But (part of the reason i'm labeled an EJ hater) i firmly firmly believe that a QB either has "it" or doesnt. If you have "it" we can develop it. If you dont, you never will.

I dont think EJ has "it"

EJ has no trade value at all. Anyone thinking otherwise is a supporter of EJ's or an optimist that we have the answer to the QB position on the team.

I am by no means stating EJ can't become a starting caliber QB, but right now he has no history to warrant trading anything for.

The only GM that might do it already has a QB in Indy! Ha

The waiting till after FA may suggest another move is in place.

Rex does not know much about how to develop a QB but Roman does. If Roman isn't interested in trying, that is good enough for me.

How wrong can a GM be, drafting EJ so high, him showing no progress and then not even being a capable backup QB? On a team that doesn't

even have a QB or backup QB?

How seriously bad of a 1st round pick might this turn out to be?

How wrong can a GM be, drafting EJ so high, him showing no progress and then not even being a capable backup QB? On a team that doesn't

If this goes down, the only thing that buffers it a LITTLE is the trade down/Kiko pick. But yeah, it would still be pretty horrible.

I'll state again that this makes no sense to me.

It'd cost us money to cut him, vs keep him on the roster as our 2nd or 3rd string QB. The talent pool available to us at QB is not much better than EJ, so why would we spend money to get rid of him and replace him with the same talent level? If he gets cut, there's something else at play behind the scenes, imo.

I can see us grabbing a couple of the mid level guys and having them all battle it out in training camp, and maybe EJ loses, and then gets cut... but right at the beginning of free agency? Nope. Don't buy it.

And this is all assuming that EJ is terrible, when in fact, he's pretty average when it comes to starting NFL rookie QBs, I still think he's played well enough in his young career, to deserve a chance at development.

Edited by Dorkington

Honestly, who cares?

Fish or cut bait. The best teams in the league are aggressive about cutting dead weight. They trust their evaluators.

Not only that, but a team w/out a QB can be forgiven for taking a shot. You have to take shots until you get one.

---------

(And I wanted us to draft EJ. When Goodell said "with the 16th pick, the Buffalo Bills select E" that was all I needed. I jumped up off the couch, fist-pumped the air, and for some reason there was excess water in my eyes. I was so happy. But . . . )

Edited by maddenboy

If this goes down, the only thing that buffers it a LITTLE is the trade down/Kiko pick. But yeah, it would still be pretty horrible.

Can't imagine Whaley wouldn't want to recover some dignity on the EJ pick by seeing what he can do in the new system. Rex won 8 games with Geno effing Smiff for chrissakes.

It certainly would be a head scratcher. My first impulse when I saw this thread was to say, "Ridiculous, never happen," until I realized I said the same thing when I heard about Marrone possibly walking away.

I'll state again that this makes no sense to me.

It'd cost us money to cut him, vs keep him on the roster as our 2nd or 3rd string QB. The talent pool available to us at QB is not much better than EJ, so why would we spend money to get rid of him and replace him with the same talent level? If he gets cut, there's something else at play behind the scenes, imo.

I can see us grabbing a couple of the mid level guys and having them all battle it out in training camp, and maybe EJ loses, and then gets cut... but right at the beginning of free agency? Nope. Don't buy it.

And this is all assuming that EJ is terrible, when in fact, he's pretty average when it comes to starting NFL rookie QBs, I still think he's played well enough in his young career, to deserve a chance at development.

The only way this makes sense is if we trade for a true starter. But then the whole McCown thing makes no sense, why would he want to be here if he cannot compete for the starter role. So I agree this does not make much sense.

Honestly, who cares?

Fish or cut bait. The best teams in the league are aggressive about cutting dead weight. They trust their evaluators.

Not only that, but a team w/out a QB can be forgiven for taking a shot. You have to take shots until you get one.

Rex is in charge of the roster, correct?

EJ is on the roster, correct?

Rex has not coached EJ one minute, correct?

How has RexRoman evaluated EJ?

Film? Gimme a break, you don't know until you see how he responds to YOUR coaching YOURSELF.

The former regime's beliefs? If you took over a company would you fire a once, very recently, highly regarded employee based on his evals or would you want to see for yourself?

The only way this makes sense is if we trade for a true starter. But then the whole McCown thing makes no sense, why would he want to be here if he cannot compete for the starter role. So I agree this does not make much sense.

Yeah, if the Bills had something lined up to get a top 10 QB, I could see it... MAYBE... but again, why wouldn't we keep him as backup? Why spend money on McCown AND dead money cutting EJ?

It's really not that complicated. If he's going to be cut it's because they've evaluated 2 FA options to be better than him (McCown & Locker) and they like a couple of guys in the draft.

Some people want anyone but him as QB but then turn around and act like he's Andrew Luck 2.0 when there's a rumor he'll be released.

Rex is in charge of the roster, correct?

EJ is on the roster, correct?

Rex has not coached EJ one minute, correct?

How has RexRoman evaluated EJ?

Film? Gimme a break, you don't know until you see how he responds to YOUR coaching YOURSELF.

The former regime's beliefs? If you took over a company would you fire a once, very recently, highly regarded employee based on his evals or would you want to see for yourself?

I thought Whaley was in charge of the Roster, Rex is in charge of active roster for gameday

Honestly, who cares?

---------

(And I wanted us to draft EJ. When Goodell said "with the 16th pick, the Buffalo Bills select E" that was all I needed. I jumped up off the couch, fist-pumped the air, and for some reason there was excess water in my eyes. I was so happy. But . . . )

I do agree with that. Problem is and has been, Buffalo simply wouldn't take a shot with Buddy here. Bills had not drafted a QB prior to EJ for six (6) years

I think, and now are almost certainly going another two years into the hole with drafting another. This of course remains to be seen re: this years apparently

depleted QB prospects.

Someone please refute the following statements, and then explain how anyone would advocate cutting him:

1. At his worst, EJ performed at a level equal to or better than most 2nd-string QBs in the NFL.

2. EJ is extraordinarily professional, smart, a hard worker, and universally liked by his teammates.

3. Cutting EJ is a bad move financially for the dead money cap hit.

Yeah, if the Bills had something lined up to get a top 10 QB, I could see it... MAYBE... but again, why wouldn't we keep him as backup? Why spend money on McCown AND dead money cutting EJ?

Because there's another FA or trade option they believe will be better competition with McCown. The dead money is soo overblown. We can easily have $35-40 mil in cap space and unless Revis shakes free or a miracle trade for a guy like Rivers happens we likely won't use all of it. Why keep a guy on the roster when you've evaluated players to be better than him to save $2.5 mil of cap space?