QB Sean Mannion, Oregon State

YoloinOhio

Sean Mannion would be an absolute steal in the 5th round and a very smart decision for the Bills. I think he would be a better version of Glennon in the NFL. He would start immediately and beat out every QB on the Bills easily. He is very accurate and won an accuracy challenge which was impressive. The upside to Mannion is that the type of weakness he has -- can be coached out quite easily (tendency to carry the ball low in the pocket which can be swatted out by defenders). This guy is a leader and very mature. He is EASILY the best QB in this draft class with the ability to make every throw required in the NFL and be able to command the huddle. The best part of all is if you get him in the 5th, there isn't too much pressure and hype that comes with a 1st rounder, so if he does well everybody is going to be labeling the Bills front office geniuses. If not, there isn't too much criticism. Just watching videos on him play and talk with the media, he seems to be a great fit.

Agree with all this except I don't think he is the best QB in this class, but hope he turns into our Brady 0:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 5th round is right for Mannion, although I'll stick with my assessment that he's more Derek Anderson than Tom Brady.

Just doesn't seem to have the velocity on his throws or the timing to hit the inside stuff in the absence of velocity. Also, the next time I see him drive the ball on an inside-breaking route will be the first.

I think he's got a legitimate shot to be a long-term backup; a guy that can come off the bench and win a few games to keep the season alive.

Just my one cent...

I just watched every throw from Mannion's Utah and Hawaii games from 2013...

I came away more impressed than I expected to be with his touch passing and toughness.

One thing that bothers me that I hadn't noticed before: he constantly throws from an unstable platform. Seems to never set his feet. In the NFL, that's going to result in a lot of interceptions and tipped balls by defenders.

I think 5th round is right for Mannion, although I'll stick with my assessment that he's more Derek Anderson than Tom Brady.

Just doesn't seem to have the velocity on his throws or the timing to hit the inside stuff in the absence of velocity. Also, the next time I see him drive the ball on an inside-breaking route will be the first.

I think he's got a legitimate shot to be a long-term backup; a guy that can come off the bench and win a few games to keep the season alive.

Just my one cent...

Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady either :D

Aaron Rodgers had an average arm and made it stronger, so there is hope for that.

Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady either :D

Aaron Rodgers had an average arm and made it stronger, so there is hope for that.

Both good points, but wasn't Tom Brady actually a bigger player on a bigger stage? Caveat: I don't follow college football. But I had the impression that the Big 10 was a bigger pond with more competition than the Pac 12, and that part of Brady's "beef" which motivated him was feeling he got no respect from the NFL as a record-setter and bowl-winner for a strong conference.

I am fine with drafting a later-round QB if there's one we find promising.

Both good points, but wasn't Tom Brady actually a bigger player on a bigger stage? Caveat: I don't follow college football. But I had the impression that the Big 10 was a bigger pond with more competition than the Pac 12, and that part of Brady's "beef" which motivated him was feeling he got no respect from the NFL as a record-setter and bowl-winner for a strong conference.

I am fine with drafting a later-round QB if there's one we find promising.

These days, the Pac 12 is on par with the Big 10. Oregon, USC, UCLA, Stanford...those are pretty good football schools.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865615523/College-football-Which-conference-produces-the-most-NFL-talent.html?pg=all

Edited by HoF Watkins

I hope not this kid has a worse 3rd down completion then EJ did coming out of college. Garrett Grayson is the best choice if you are going to draft a QB.

If third down completions in college meant all that much then Manuel would be Russell Wilson. Wilson and Manuel were almost identical over their last two years at the two distances ESPN gives, 7-9 yard passes and 10+ yard passes on third downs.

This is our guy hopefully.

Not if he's the third rated QB on some boards. I wouldn't be thrilled with a QB before round 5 in this draft, and if he's rated No. 3 by some teams, he's long gone before Rd 5.

@mortreport: Oregon St.'s Sean Mannion 3rd-rated QB on few boards. Big (6-5.5, 230). Improved footwork, Productive. Gym rat. Coach's son. Highest FB IQ

Saw quite a few people making fun of the generic draft-speak in that tweet. Just needed to say "high motor"

Edited by NoSaint

To me, if the guy isn't worthy of a 3rd round pick, I wouldn't bother. How can someone say "yeah, I like this guy, he could be the one...but only in the 5th." If you are a team that is set at QB, I can understand that approach, but if your team is adrift at QB you are probably going to have to reach. I don't think a 3rd is a huge risk.

But again, if the guy isn't at all worthy of a 3rd round selection, don't bother.