QB Sean Mannion, Oregon State

YoloinOhio

EJ can't read a defense to save his life, has horrible pocket presence & his accuracy is even worse but hey he could get a date on a Saturday night so he must be good!

That's simply not true. Reading defenses hasn't been his problem at all. Going through his progressions too quickly and loose lower body mechanics have been his issues.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy if they drafted Mannion. He absolutely lit it up in his junior year at OSU, throwing to Brandin Cooks. I think he'd be a great addition throwing to Watkins and Woods.

He really didn't have anyone to throw to this past year, and his numbers dropped significantly.

Edited by cantankerous

Listening to the John Murphy Show last night, he indicated Mannion was the top QB on the Bills list (but noted they aren't really overly impressed with any of them at this point). I get the feeling if he drops to where he's the BPA on their board they would take him but aren't going to reach. He definitely thinks they will bring in 2 more QBs, at least 1 FA.

I watched a little of his game last year when I believe he was more highly touted. Dd anyone watch Mannion very closely this year and what is the assessment? I know he's a pro-style guy with good size. Good arm, not huge arm. Does he have any mobility or is he a statue in the pocket?

Never saw him but he knows how to read defense and has the size so a late pick can't hurt

"He hails from a pro-style offense under Mike Riley, one that asked him to handle a lot at the line of scrimmage. One-third of the way through his Masters program, he also handled the game at a high intellectual level.

A four-year starter at Oregon State — one who set 18 school records — Mannion completed 65.6% of his passes for 13,600 yards, 83 touchdowns and 54 interceptions.

His numbers dipped during a disappointing 5-7 senior season. But Mannion points to the Beavers’ 35-27 upset win over then-No. 6 ranked Arizona State as the game that best shows what he brings a team.

Against the attacking, Todd Graham-led defense, Mannion threw for 251 yards and two touchdowns. He made a blitzing team pay and got the ball out quickly — one criticism that’ll be thrown his way until May.

In college, Mannion was responsible for protections, diagnosing the “Mike” linebacker and said he had many pass/run alerts. Based on the defensive front, he could call a run or pass. And most of Oregon State’s called running plays included a check at the line, too"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292032021.html

He seems very slow and lumbering. I didn't see him a ton but those are some of the first impressions I got from him.

It's interesting that you use the words slow and lumbering. While Jim Kelly had the outstanding arm strength and good accuracy, he was considered slow and lumbering because he was such a big guy. Now I am not comparing him to Jimbo in any way, I have never seen the guy play, I'm just noting the similarities in how they have been described.

They find Peyton attractive because of the size of his wallet and the fact that he is a QB. If he was a dishwasher at the local Denny's, they would not find him "attractive".

I have never read anything more true than this!

Big Pappy

Edited by BigPappy

It's interesting that you use the words slow and lumbering. While Jim Kelly had the outstanding arm strength and good accuracy, he was considered slow and lumbering because he was such a big guy. Now I am not comparing him to Jimbo in any way, I have never seen the guy play, I'm just noting the similarities in how they have been described.

I have never read anything more true than this!

Big Pappy

Terry Bradshaw was also kind of slow and lumbering. What happened with his career?

• 1 month later...

Sean Mannion would be an absolute steal in the 5th round and a very smart decision for the Bills. I think he would be a better version of Glennon in the NFL. He would start immediately and beat out every QB on the Bills easily. He is very accurate and won an accuracy challenge which was impressive. The upside to Mannion is that the type of weakness he has -- can be coached out quite easily (tendency to carry the ball low in the pocket which can be swatted out by defenders). This guy is a leader and very mature. He is EASILY the best QB in this draft class with the ability to make every throw required in the NFL and be able to command the huddle. The best part of all is if you get him in the 5th, there isn't too much pressure and hype that comes with a 1st rounder, so if he does well everybody is going to be labeling the Bills front office geniuses. If not, there isn't too much criticism. Just watching videos on him play and talk with the media, he seems to be a great fit.

Edited by Vinaccia

I think Mannion = Mallet. If we wanted Mallet we probably could have had him for a lot cheaper than wasting a 3rd round pick on Mannion. I feel like Tyrod is the guy they wanted and they got him in lieu of drafting a guy. Let's pretend Tyrod was our 4th round pick

I would be happy if they drafted Mannion. He absolutely lit it up in his junior year at OSU, throwing to Brandin Cooks. I think he'd be a great addition throwing to Watkins and Woods.

He really didn't have anyone to throw to this past year, and his numbers dropped significantly.

You sir are dead on.

Mannion is old school QB. His upside is more like Bledsoe than anyone else. Cannon for an arm. Can make all the throws. He had nobody his senior year.

If they can get him in the fifth it would be a steal. Maybe trade up into the bottom of the fourth if he is still there.

Edited by Dragonborn10

"He hails from a pro-style offense under Mike Riley, one that asked him to handle a lot at the line of scrimmage. One-third of the way through his Masters program, he also handled the game at a high intellectual level.

A four-year starter at Oregon State — one who set 18 school records — Mannion completed 65.6% of his passes for 13,600 yards, 83 touchdowns and 54 interceptions.

His numbers dipped during a disappointing 5-7 senior season. But Mannion points to the Beavers’ 35-27 upset win over then-No. 6 ranked Arizona State as the game that best shows what he brings a team.

Against the attacking, Todd Graham-led defense, Mannion threw for 251 yards and two touchdowns. He made a blitzing team pay and got the ball out quickly — one criticism that’ll be thrown his way until May.

In college, Mannion was responsible for protections, diagnosing the “Mike” linebacker and said he had many pass/run alerts. Based on the defensive front, he could call a run or pass. And most of Oregon State’s called running plays included a check at the line, too"

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292032021.html

He played behind a HORRIBLE offensive line last year and lost his "ace" WR to the NFL. Not if, but when the Bills move back from 50 to acquire more picks I can see them taking Mannion.