Exciting high school basketball game....

Just Jack

I think the game could have gotten pretty entertaining at the end, if the referee had allowed each team to shoot at the wrong basket. The game would have switched from the team playing the worst getting the desired loss, to the team playing the best (but shooting at the wrong basket) getting the desired loss.

It essentially would have turned into a "winner's outs" situation, too - - if a team A shot at the wrong basket and scored 2 points for team B, team A would get to take the ball out and try to do it again. But they would have a 10 second "score" clock (not a shot clock), because if team A didn't score in the wrong basket quickly enough, the refs would call a 10 second back court violation - - like they actually did once in the real game.

But let's say team B starts playing defense to prevent team A from scoring points in the "wrong" basket for team B - - what does team B do when they get the ball? If they take the ball over half court in the wrong direction, it's an "over and back" violation. So team "B" either has to take shots at the "wrong" basket from beyond half court, or somehow be awarded the ball out of bounds. If I remember right, you can inbound the ball from the front court into the backcourt, so long as the player catching the ball is already in the backcourt when catching it. So if team B plays good defense and gets possession of the ball before team A can score in the "wrong" basket, does team B try to make the ball go out of bounds off a team A player - - so they can pass the ball into their own backcourt without being called for "over and back?"

But there's some other wrinkles. What if team B starts fouling team A before team A can shoot at the wrong basket? The refs will make team A take foul shots from the proper free throw line. Team A could intentionally miss the free throw, but would have to make sure they at least hit the rim with the shot - - otherwise team B gets to take the ball out directly underneath the "wrong" basket that team B will try to score at. And even if team A successfully rebounds the intentionally missed foul shot, team A would need to shoot at the wrong basket from beyond half court or figure out how to be awarded the ball out of bounds - - because team A now has possession in the front court and has the same potential "over and back" problem when heading to score in the wrong direction.

The possibilities are mind boggling. How about this scenario? What if team B fouls team A before team A can try a shot at the wrong basket, so the refs walk everybody to the other end for team A to take a foul shot. And then - - wait for it - - the team A player turns around and shoots a 3/4 court shot at the wrong basket? If the long wrong-way shot misses everything, then team B obviously gets the ball out of bounds at the end where the team A shooter was standing.

But what if the wrong way 3/4 court "foul" shot hits the "wrong" rim? Better yet, what if team A's wrong-way 3/4 court "foul" shot actually goes in? Does it count as 1 point for team B? And which team gets the ball out of bounds if the long wrong way "foul" shot goes in?

Wonder if there's a rule that requires a forfeit if you can't put at least say 3 eligible players on the court? At some point, would a team fearing that it might not be able to lose on the scoreboard, try to foul out enough of its own players to require it to forfeit the game? And even if there's no minimum number of players rule, what happens if a team fouls out every last one of its players, wouldn't THAT require a forfeit?

And what if the ref refused to call fouls to prevent such an intentional forfeit - - would players fake injuries to try to reduce the number of available players (to zero if necessary) to get the forfeit? I'm not sure a ref would risk requiring a player take the court if the player claimed to be injured. What's the ref gonna do, award a forfeit against the team trying to throw the game? That's exactly what they want.

I think it would have been fascinating watching how creative each team would get in trying to lose the game if the refs had simply let them play and just enforced the existing rules.

Sometimes I ain't right.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

As a fan of the Sixers who are currently trying this approach....allegedly...they are not intentionally losing games or playing half assed...the sixers simply have no upper tier(experienced) players and have assembled a team of role players, not stars. Sure they have Nerlens, but this is year one for him. MCW was just let go. What they are doing is stock piling draft picks in hopes of landing a big time FA, Durant, Westbrook are names that are being tossed about. The current team is playing good basketball, it is fun to watch, but we all know that this year isn't the focus, but they are not intentionally trying to lose games. I personally am happy about it because i can get tickets for under $10....once Imbid, Noel and the incoming FA's get here, I will not be able to touch tickets.

hey the NBA does it all the time for ping pong balls

I heard they didn't even try to hide the fact of tanking

As a fan of the Sixers who are currently trying this approach....allegedly...they are not intentionally losing games or playing half assed...the sixers simply have no upper tier(experienced) players and have assembled a team of role players, not stars. Sure they have Nerlens, but this is year one for him. MCW was just let go. What they are doing is stock piling draft picks in hopes of landing a big time FA, Durant, Westbrook are names that are being tossed about. The current team is playing good basketball, it is fun to watch, but we all know that this year isn't the focus, but they are not intentionally trying to lose games. I personally am happy about it because i can get tickets for under $10....once Imbid, Noel and the incoming FA's get here, I will not be able to touch tickets.

I heard they took their best player off the court for the 4th period. Ergo not trying to lose persay but .......

If you believe (who was it) Andy Pollin or Mike and Mike?

one might even relate to Suck For Luck in the NFL

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I am not familiar with that scenario. But like I said, they are a young team right now trying to build for the future and are playing decent basketball

I heard they took their best player off the court for the 4th period. Ergo not trying to lose persay but .......

If you believe (who was it) Andy Pollin or Mike and Mike?

one might even relate to Suck For Luck in the NFL