Songs You Heard But Realized Decades Later That You Love

I won't name any obscure song titles from bands. Since I grew up in the 90's I'll start with those and most will be familiar with. I didn't realize until decades later Third Eye Blinds - Self Titled and Counting Crows - August and Everything After are just INCREDIBLE start to finish. The kicker is if you have a good sound system they are excellent sounding albums as well.

• The Background (Third Eye Blind)
  • Round Here (Counting Crows)

What are some of yours?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I won't name any obscure song titles from bands. Since I grew up in the 90's I'll start with those and most will be familiar with. I didn't realize until decades later Third Eye Blinds - Self Titled and Counting Crows - August and Everything After are just INCREDIBLE start to finish. The kicker is if you have a good sound system they are excellent sounding albums as well.

• The Background (Third Eye Blind)
  • Round Here (Counting Crows)
What are some of yours?
Everything Adam Duritz has touched is brilliant IMO. One of the most underrated song writers in the biz. Fantastically talented band too and an unbelievable amount of awesome live covers over the years. From Rod Stewart to Elvis Costello, Oasis etc... Stuff you wouldn't see coming. Have you ever heard the original demo of 'Round Here? Wow. So much fantastic unreleased material as well. Edited by SmokinES3

Everything Adam Duritz has touched is brilliant IMO. One of the most underrated song writers in the biz. Fantastically talented band too and an unbelievable amount of awesome live covers over the years. From Rod Stewart to Elvis Costello, Oasis etc... Stuff you wouldn't see coming.

I didn't give Counting Crows the time of day back in the 90's. I was blown away by the song writing on August and Everything After when I first listened to it. Tight musicianship as well (love the drums). I also love T-Bone Burnetts work in the production of that album. The sound quality is top notch! I think that is some of his greatest work in the studio as well.

I didn't give Counting Crows the time of day back in the 90's. I was blown away by the song writing on August and Everything After when I first listened to it. Tight musicianship as well (love the drums). I also love T-Bone Burnetts work in the production of that album. The sound quality is top notch! I think that is some of his greatest work in the studio as well.

I know they credit a lot to Burnett. It was spectacular production work.

Funny, I was in the same boat until about 15 years ago when I discovered they had an incredible catalog after being forced to hear Mr. Jones 3 times a day for 2 years and figuring them to be pop nonsense. (To be fair it is a great song and never intended to be a hit, some killer live versions that sound totally different.)

Edited by SmokinES3

I know they credit a lot to Burnett. It was spectacular production work.

Funny, I was in the same boat until about 15 years ago when I discovered they had an incredible catalog after being forced to hear Mr. Jones 3 times a day for 2 years and figuring them to be pop nonsense. (To be fair it is a great song and never intended to be a hit, some killer live versions that sound totally different.)

What I have found even is that songs like Mr. Jones sound a lot different on the actual CD or vinyl than what you hear on the compressed radio version we grew up with. I totally "get it" now.

What I have found even is that songs like Mr. Jones sound a lot different on the actual CD or vinyl than what you hear on the compressed radio version we grew up with. I totally "get it" now.

Exactly. It took me some time. They're rare and unreleased stuff isn't much for sound quality, but the raw emotional genius of Duritz is worth it. I try not to get hung up on quality but it's getting to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest some real money in home audio.

Exactly. It took me some time. They're rare and unreleased stuff isn't much for sound quality, but the raw emotional genius of Duritz is worth it. I try not to get hung up on quality but it's getting to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest some real money in home audio.

There are tons of great performing value products these days in home audio.

I was reminded how good "Fooled around and fell in love" by Elvin Bishop is when it was used in Guardians of the Galaxy.

I never appreciated The Allman Brothers until the past two years, now they're one of my favorite collections of songs. Saw Dicky Betts at the state fair a couple years ago, and he still played great.

As far as Willie Nelson, I think I have heard all of this actual songs, but some of the very short songs and bits that are less popular; think Red Headed Stranger minus the popularity... those are fun. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground is still one of my favorite songs of all times.

I know all of Hank, even if I can't remember it. I'll just put it on some days while cleaning the house.

Very good choice for just starting to get into them. If you can, pick up their live album "Show". After that, "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me" is a good one to get also.

I know a lot of music and I know a lot of their music but hearing it in the compilation that is assembled on this album is amazing. Angels and Airwaves had an album that gave me the same feel. The lead singer of Blink182, and guys from 30STM, NIN/Lost Prophets, and such came togehter to form this group. They had a song on some MTV show, the one about the football team in Texas, that helped skyrocket them.

The album I am thinking of is We Don't Need To Whisper. Their music is similar to The Cures, musically rich, a unique lead voice in the lead singer, and flowing emotions in to the composition that creates a vacuum to engage conscious mind to follow the music.

You can sort of hear the same thing the Cure does with the music here. A&A is more industrial at times, though.

Edited by jboyst62

i have to go with tool. i have always liked them but there was a point where i threw on some headphones and started a sculpting project in school(about 7-8 years after the album's release). the album was aenima, and listening to everything without any outside interference was absolutely incredible. from that day forward they were much more than just a band to me.

I second this completely!!!! :thumbsup:

Everything Adam Duritz has touched is brilliant IMO. One of the most underrated song writers in the biz. Fantastically talented band too and an unbelievable amount of awesome live covers over the years. From Rod Stewart to Elvis Costello, Oasis etc... Stuff you wouldn't see coming. Have you ever heard the original demo of 'Round Here? Wow. So much fantastic unreleased material as well.

This is an album that will be 20 years old in October. "Subliminal Plastic Motives" by sElf.

http://youtu.be/m_CKpeLUQBU?list=PLAA209C388DDA9901

90% of this album is Nashvillian Matt Mahaffey. This was his first album and I've come to really appreciate it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know that I think It's great, but I stumbled upon an old copy of Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger a few months ago and after a few times playing it back I realized I liked it a lot more than I thought.

As an aside, I always liked Counting Crows until I saw them live. The band was good but the singer was awful. I understand singing it differently for the show, but I wouldn't even call what he was doing singing. It was more like speaking over the music without any rhythm, not to any beat, and without any qualities that resembled anything vaguely musical. Pretentious hippy !@#$.

Speaking of Counting Crows, it didn't take me decades, I have always loved "The Rain King"... One of my all-time favorites. I think it is lost on the younger generation though... They have to read the book first. A few months ago, I noticed my son was reading Saul Bellow's "Henderson the Rain King" so I busted into a chorus of:

"And I belong in the service of the queen

And I belong anywhere but in between

She's been lying and I've been sinking

And I am the rain king

Hey I only want the same as anyone

Henderson is waiting for the sun

Oh, it seems night endlessly begins and ends

After all the dreaming I come home again

When I think of Heaven, deliver me in a black-winged bird

I think of dying, lay me down in a field of flame and heather

Render up my body into the burning heart of God

In the belly of a black-winged bird