Neighbor is a dick and/or owner should have known better?

Beerball

Wow. The neighbor is the issue. Why wouldnt the neighbor just give it back now that she knows what happened?

That 'neighbor' is an azz. These aren't large realty companies vying for prime real estate. There, it'd be blood in the water and winner take all. Here, It's a 'neighbor' being an azz over .2 acres and 'half' her neighbors house. She could have done the right thing and told the owner about it when it went up for auction. Clearly, the owner was unaware and felt she was doing the right things for her property. I'm not interested in the arguments for the 'neighbor.' There's legal....and then there's 'right.'

What comes around goes around...

The owner should have made sure the taxes were being paid, and it never would have gone to auction. I know here I can check online to see if they are up to date.

The owner should have gotten a receipt for taxes but shouldn't the bank with the escrow be held liable and why didn't the municipality send a delinquency letter? Something is missing.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I got real good piece of advice when I bought my first house. I have the taxes escrowed, but I have the bank send me the check at the end of the year, then I pay the town. Don't think this is possible everywhere, but glad it is here.

Owner is an idiot, too lazy to cut a 200$ check once a year, and the neighbor is a huge !@#$. Pretty cut and dry.

Try reading the article a little closer:

Prior to 2004, the owner was paying the taxes, but ...

"In 2004, JP Morgan Chase (NYSE: JPM) officials told her they also needed to put money for the New York taxes into the escrow account. But the bank never paid the bill; it sold the loan in 2010 to Seterus Inc."

It is cut & dry. The bank royally !@#$ed up.

If the bank required her to have an escrow account for those taxes, but then failed to pay the taxes, then the bank can be held liable.

She may/may not get the property back (as she would be ultimately responsible for making sure the taxes were paid), but she could go after the bank(s) for damages.

The parenthesis often hide the most important information.

Which does nothing to prove your point of the owner being "too lazy to cut a 200$ check once a year".

The only cut and dry part (and yet another important piece of the puzzle) is the screw up by the bank. In the end, the lender is the one that is going to pay.