Buffalo: America's Best Designed City

Rubes

Cool video I somehow came across on YouTube, can't really remember how I got to it. Looks like it was from a couple of years ago, but paints a really nice portrait of the city and discusses the history and evolution from a planning perspective.

Linky

Sorry if this was posted and discussed previously.

I am sorry to be a naysayer, I love my home just as much as the next... I was born in the city of BFLO. BUT how can they say "best designed." Maybe BEFORE the interstates were built. BFLO almost has aboslutely no access to the water. Okay, that's changing a little bit... But is there a beach in Buffalo? They need to move the abomination that is called the Niagara section (190) further east.

One comment nailed it:

"Buffalo's design may be stupendous, but it's use was horrendous!
Buffalo's waterfront was poorly planned, and there are not many places to enjoy it. Probably the most prime lakefront property is located just south of Buffalo in Lackawanna. The whole area along the lake is the site of the now defunct Bethlehem Steel Corporation Plant. The entire area will never be able to be developed, the land is polluted and is considered "Brownfields" A brownfield site is any real property, the redevelopment or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a contaminant. A contaminant may be hazardous waste and/or petroleum. Much of the waterfront in Western New York including Buffalo is considered "Brownfields" It is just too costly to clean up the land for public use.
Much of the rest of the waterfront was lost through the building of roads, highways and factories right along it's banks. This poorly designed roadway and infrastructure extends from Buffalo, all the way up the Niagara River to Niagara Falls. This valuable waterfront property will forever to inaccessible for development. It provides a beautiful view for motorists but nothing more!
In conclusion. Buffalo design is stupendous, but it's used, horrendous!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

the skyway? tear it down. the niagara thruway? what a stupid idea. yeah the design was great a hundred years ago, then idiots took over and butchered it. its great asset is the shore and they either poisoned it or butchered access to it. lots more to do, but it will get down when the new peace bridge is done, which is like a hundred years from now. have a soft spot for the place and grew up there, but never going back. no political will. bunch of provincial losers running the place. sad.

if it wasn't for irrationally generous business guys like Pegs , the place would be in even worse shape