Salary Cap Thread

eball

you are really all about this rolling money over idea. i bet your retirement savings is superb.

Haha. I wish my retirement was in good shape. I was just thinking I've been super gung-ho on the issue. I think I've just been tainted by letting players walk for years that, now that we have talent and some cash, I'd hate for us to drop the ball.

I know we should have around 50 mil next year, but that only clears because of player contract expirations. I think our top FA will cost us just about that.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool)

$12,764,067

time to lock up Dareus and Glenn before having to do something crazy like trading away Jimmy Graham

Bills are nowhere near that type of situation. Plus who are our superstars with big cap numbers?

will be Dareus and Glenn

Eventually but most likely Kyle Williams has 1-2 years left and Mario 2-3 so those contracts will be gone...plus I would hold off on Glenn to make sure last year was a fluke and his drop off was because of bad coaching and terrible guard play.

Not really sure where else to post this... but I'm wondering if we should have a "Roster Change" thread... where the OP would be who we've lost, and added throughout the offseason, pinned to the top. It's hard to keep up with the myriad of rumor threads. It'd be nice to have one place where things go when confirmed.

Edit: Or if anyone has a site that keeps track of that stuff, that'd be awesome too hah

Edited by Dorkington

Not really sure where else to post this... but I'm wondering if we should have a "Roster Change" thread... where the OP would be who we've lost, and added throughout the offseason, pinned to the top. It's hard to keep up with the myriad of rumor threads. It'd be nice to have one place where things go when confirmed.

Edit: Or if anyone has a site that keeps track of that stuff, that'd be awesome too hah

upvote

is that after the kyle williams deal? what do we need to hold back for draft pick signings? being lazy and not looking through the rest of the thread

$12,764,067

time to lock up Dareus and Glenn before having to do something crazy like trading away Jimmy Graham

is that after the kyle williams deal? what do we need to hold back for draft pick signings? being lazy and not looking through the rest of the thread

before Kyle $12.7 includes 2015 draft picks .

is there a way to just pin this site?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I'll assume it's in since it indicated that Kyle Williams contract through 2017

his extension locks him up in Buffalo through the 2017 season

Kyle Williams DT contract terms 4 yr $29,150,000 AVG salary $7,287,500 guarantee $8,750,000 expires 2017

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $12,764,067

Cap Space (w/Top 51) $16,007,282

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

$12,764,067

You're overlooking the fact the Bills have in the neighborhood of $50 million in cap space next year even with these deals, and even more in 2017. There's PLENTY of room to get Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore all locked up without breaking a sweat.

You're overlooking the fact the Bills have in the neighborhood of $50 million in cap space next year even with these deals, and even more in 2017. There's PLENTY of room to get Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore all locked up without breaking a sweat.

Next year we would have to release many FA's to have $50m in cap space ?

not counting the new cap limit next year , which is not yet known ?

Edited by ALF

Because Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore come off the books, that helps create that $50 million in space -- but the cap will also go up again, meaning we'll have 50 or more. For those three deals, even if Pegula gives them each HUGE money (and they all should get big deals, Glenn has to do more this year), creative structures can keep those cap numbers at 6 or 7 pretty easily, meaning we'd still have $30+ million to sign more people if needed next off season.

Then, the Bills cap space goes way up again in 2017 (partially because those three deals are still not accounted for, but even so the number is over 50). The Bills are in excellent cap shape in terms of flexibility, and this doesn't even factor in restructuring Mario's deal, which will happen next off season if not before.

Of course, I'm not saying they should spend to the limit every year, just that they have incredible flexibility right now, so much so there's no real risk of being in cap hell even with the big deals coming up.

not counting the new cap limit next year , which is not yet known ?

Go to this site and you won't need to keep asking these questions

http://www.spotrac.c...falo-bills/cap/

then you can select YEAR and look at the cap #'s year to year. ASSUME the Cap increases by $10Mil a year.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Eventually but most likely Kyle Williams has 1-2 years left and Mario 2-3 so those contracts will be gone...plus I would hold off on Glenn to make sure last year was a fluke and his drop off was because of bad coaching and terrible guard play.

I sort of agree with waiting on Glenn UNLESS we can steal him for a great value contract. With that steal IF it were to happen we can have a great value for a strong LT OR a market value G. Maybe we could sign him for $6-8 million. IF we could do $7 million I would do it now.

Edited by Manther

Because Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore come off the books, that helps create that $50 million in space -- but the cap will also go up again, meaning we'll have 50 or more. For those three deals, even if Pegula gives them each HUGE money (and they all should get big deals, Glenn has to do more this year), creative structures can keep those cap numbers at 6 or 7 pretty easily, meaning we'd still have $30+ million to sign more people if needed next off season.

Then, the Bills cap space goes way up again in 2017 (partially because those three deals are still not accounted for, but even so the number is over 50). The Bills are in excellent cap shape in terms of flexibility, and this doesn't even factor in restructuring Mario's deal, which will happen next off season if not before.

Of course, I'm not saying they should spend to the limit every year, just that they have incredible flexibility right now, so much so there's no real risk of being in cap hell even with the big deals coming up.

I really hope they lock Bradham in to an extension before the season. If they wait, his number could (IMO will) rise significantly. I think the guys you mentioned are almost past the point of hoping for any early bird savings.

ill post this point again for the draft picks:

in the top 51 calculation, guys 46 - 51 are all 5-600k pay checks. Our #50 pick is the only guy i would anticipate counting anything noticeably above that and that would still be with a "k" at the end, not "m"

the change, if any, should be minimal - if not creating space by replacing higher paid guys on the roster. the idea that we need to keep 3-4m free to sign them is completely not true at this point.

ASSUME the Cap increases by $10Mil a year.

i would not, generally, assume that. i think we see a big bump next year for the TV contracts getting into the equation (10-15m) and then things start to flatten out a little bit. Edited by NoSaint