Ameer Abdullah, RB

Uffalo Ills

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/514508/ameer-abdullah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81WM8AdWDUw

RB, Nebraska, 5'9, 195lbs

Has ball control issues, and lacks ideal size. Benefit for passing game: Hasnt dropped a pass in 2 years. Good with kick returns. Great vision, an aspect that other possible RB, Tevin Coleman, lacks. Has ability to lower shoulder and power through tackles.

Great Character according to some reports.

Edited by Uffalo Ills

One interesting thing I read, which I can't seem to track down now, was a scout's comments on him. The scout said he gave him the highest character score of any player he has ever evaluated. Said the kid is the ultimate hard worker, great locker room guy. You gotta like that personality.

One interesting thing I read, which I can't seem to track down now, was a scout's comments on him. The scout said he gave him the highest character score of any player he has ever evaluated. Said the kid is the ultimate hard worker, great locker room guy. You gotta like that personality.

CJ is a good guy too. But that doesn't help him run up the middle between the tackles

Wondering how many people who said "no thank you" in this thread have watched him consistently. He's a dominating physical runner. Look at what he did to MSU his Junior season, if you recall, that was the year MSU won the Rose Bowl and that defense was as good as any in the country. The guy has a 24/7 chip on his shoulder for people who have used his size to minimize him. No pun intended. Yes I would take him in two seconds.

I'm not a huge fan of him in this offense as the workhorse back, but he could replace CJ if they want to go with a small back in some formations and can't sign him.

I know that you and I like Tevin Coleman the most. Unfortunately, I read a report this morning comparing him to CJ Spiller. The difference here is that Abdullah lacks pure explosive speed, whereas Coleman lacks power despite his size. Maybe a possible train of thought might be to get Coleman to bulk up and become more of a hybrid power/outside the tackles back, making him cover more downs.

Wondering how many people who said "no thank you" in this thread have watched him consistently. He's a dominating physical runner. Look at what he did to MSU his Junior season, if you recall, that was the year MSU won the Rose Bowl and that defense was as good as any in the country. The guy has a 24/7 chip on his shoulder for people who have used his size to minimize him. No pun intended. Yes I would take him in two seconds.

he has fumbled 20 times. that's reason enough. he's playing against smaller college guys, what's he going to do vs NFL guys?

I know that you and I like Tevin Coleman the most. Unfortunately, I read a report this morning comparing him to CJ Spiller. The difference here is that Abdullah lacks pure explosive speed, whereas Coleman lacks power despite his size. Maybe a possible train of thought might be to get Coleman to bulk up and become more of a hybrid power/outside the tackles back, making him cover more downs.

im not too worried about the explosive speed, I like Abdullah, just not sure he's a workhorse back in the NFL. If they take him I know they have a plan for him. I actually like most of the RBs in this draft. Coleman is my top because of watching him play he hits the hole very fast.

Mayock agrees with you, OP

@pecrawleynfl: Mayock's breakdown of RBs in play for the Bills at pick No. 50: Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi.

Edited by YoloinOhio

he has fumbled 20 times. that's reason enough. he's playing against smaller college guys, what's he going to do vs NFL guys?

Divide his attempts by fumbles and I imagine that stat doesn't looks nearly as bad. You also have to factor in how many of those fumbles happened on option exchanges, did the correct credit go to the correct player? He fights for every inch on every run. If he is deemed to have a ball security issue I think he can be taught better ball protection if that's the main concern. As for his size. Somebody pushing 200 pounds and certain to go over that weight at the next level, while being 5 foot 9, is hardly small. He's short, but thick, a combination a lot of backs have done very well with over the years.

im not too worried about the explosive speed, I like Abdullah, just not sure he's a workhorse back in the NFL. If they take him I know they have a plan for him. I actually like most of the RBs in this draft. Coleman is my top because of watching him play he hits the hole very fast.

Mayock agrees with you, OP

@pecrawleynfl: Mayock's breakdown of RBs in play for the Bills at pick No. 50: Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi.

Of those players, Duke Johnson, hands down.

What about Melvin Gordon? Has a ton of burst.

He also played on a team that had about zero passing game. It was all on him. Defenses basically game planned to stop him as he was their entire offense.

Melvin Gordon is the first RB off the board, most likely in the first. He's fantastic now that he built up some bulk. I think it's just assumed by most here that we don't really have a shot at him. My draft board on RBs is Gordon, Gurley, The Duke. The rest I don't care about as I think they are all pretty similar run of the mill type guys.