(OT) DTV signal strength

IndyMark

I have had the dish up for about 8 years and I sort of neglect the signal strength and noticed mine at 70. I vividly recall setting it higher than that during the original installation (self). I remember it to be 79.

My question, what is a typical signal strength?

Thanks in advance.

I have had the dish up for about 8 years and I sort of neglect the signal strength and noticed mine at 70.  I vividly recall setting it higher than that during the original installation (self).  I remember it to be 79. 

My question, what is a typical signal strength?

Thanks in advance.

230313[/snapback]

In good weather, you should get high 80s, low 90s (depending on transponder)

You usually get the same picture all the way down to 50-60. However, if a storm comes through you can easily lose 10-20 points of signal strength.

Call DirecTV, ask for a free TiVo and a dish realignment. They'll give it to you if you're not under a 1 year contract righ tnow.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...threadid=213826

CW

It's not that difficult to "peak" the dish on your own - provided you have reasonable access to the dish.

Peaking the dish is where you adjust it for maximum signal strenght. The dish can be adjusted by loosening the bolts on it's mount in two directions: azimuth (side to side) and elevation (up and down).

I've used a small portable TV outside as a monitor to peak it. By putting it to the menu screen where you see signal strength, simply adjust the dish in both directions until it reaches the highest signal strength, then tighten the nuts/bolts/screws. If you can't get a portable outside, you could also have someone inside monitoring the TV for you. A cellphone comes in handy for this.

Even with somewhat lower signal strength, your picture shouldn't be affected until severe weather becomes an issue. Mine is usually in the 80-85 range and I rarely have an trouble with reception.

I just went through the same thing. Fortunately my disk is easy to get to. Some of the anchor screws had loosed and the dish probably shifted like 1/16th of an inch. I tweaked it and my signal strength jumped to 90. Didnt have to adjust azimuth or anything else. Also the tech at Directv suggested staying with transponder 1 or 2.

I just went through the same thing.  Fortunately my disk is easy to get to.  Some of the anchor screws had loosed and the dish probably shifted like 1/16th of an inch.  I tweaked it and my signal strength jumped to 90. Didnt have to adjust azimuth or anything else.  Also the tech at Directv suggested staying with transponder 1 or 2.

231166[/snapback]

You don't "stay" with a transponder. Each transponder carries a different set of channels. Silly DTV "tech" :lol:

CW

The only task that is more fun that peaking a dish is peaking a terrestrial digital TV antenna.

231221[/snapback]

You're not suggesting that it's in some way difficult, are you?

If you have socket and wrench sets, easy access to the dish, and a way to monitor signal strength, the whole process is simple and shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

In good weather, you should get high 80s, low 90s (depending on transponder)

You usually get the same picture all the way down to 50-60.  However, if a storm comes through you can easily lose 10-20 points of signal strength.

Call DirecTV, ask for a free TiVo and a dish realignment.  They'll give it to you if you're not under a 1 year contract righ tnow.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showt...threadid=213826

CW

230314[/snapback]

Also ask for a new dish capable to receive HDTV. Sooner or later you will want HDTV, in the meantime this dish will provide 4 outputs & dolby digital audio. The round dish does not provide dolby digital audio.If you get TIVO it should have a dolby digital audio output.