Racism and Police Brutality at its Finest

In a 911 call to police that day, the caller identifies Patel as "a skinny black guy" he had never seen before walking around the neighborhood. The caller also said that he was following Patel from a distance, and that he was afraid to leave for work and leave his wife alone at home.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/alabama-cop-arrested-takedown-left-indian-man-partially-paralyzed-n305471

http://youtu.be/jdIVsdxUtl8

Edited by JTSP

Where was the racism??

white guy calls cop because he sees a "skinny black guy" in his neighborhood. "skinny black guy" isn't black, turns out he's Indian ... but hey what the heck, he's not white, call cops on him. white cops show up and begin to arrest him no reason other than white guy called him an unknown "skinny black guy". cops cuff him, hands behind back, completely defenseless, body slam to ground

you really think if he were a "skinny white guy" any of this would have happened?

I don't think I'd go so far as calling it brutality. More like poor judgement coupled with an excessive use of force, which led to a very unfortunate outcome.

could serve as a definition of "police brutality"

white guy calls cop because he sees a "skinny black guy" in his neighborhood. "skinny black guy" isn't black, turns out he's Indian ... but hey what the heck, he's not white, call cops on him. white cops show up and begin to arrest him no reason other than white guy called him an unknown "skinny black guy". cops cuff him, hands behind back, completely defenseless, body slam to ground

you really think if he were a "skinny white guy" any of this would have happened?

Do you know it would not?

I suspect that if that man had been a skinny 57 year old from somewhere like the Ukraine or Bosnia who didn't speak any english, he likely would have suffered the same as Patel, under the same circumstances. There's as much in the cops' actions to accuse them of simply being heavy-handed jerks as there is to accuse them of racism.

The guy who called 911 about 'a skinny black guy' wandering around the neighborhood sounds pretty racist though.

I suspect that if that man had been a skinny 57 year old from somewhere like the Ukraine or Bosnia who didn't speak any english, he likely would have suffered the same as Patel, under the same circumstances. There's as much in the cops' actions to accuse them of simply being heavy-handed jerks as there is to accuse them of racism.

The guy who called 911 about 'a skinny black guy' wandering around the neighborhood sounds pretty racist though.

And how would you describe a skinny black guy?

A very poor one.

Excessive force entails a type of force normal and proper to the job, however used under circumstances not dictating it's use.

Police brutality entails a type of force, usually ongoing, which is not normal and proper to the job, regardless of the circumstances dictating it's use.

And how would you describe a skinny black guy?

If he was skinny and black, I'd call him a skinny black guy. This is of course, is presuming the meaning of 'black' to be 'African American'. This guy wasn't African American, he was Indian. Therefore, not black.

If he were white he wouldnt be described at all because there'd have been no call to police

and there you have it.............the OP's own bias projected on to the situation.

From his own link in the opening post, the first line states how the police officer has been arrested and is being fired, but he doesn't seem to want to include that in his little diatribe.

An all too typical PPP visit by him.

If he was skinny and black, I'd call him a skinny black guy. This is of course, is presuming the meaning of 'black' to be 'African American'. This guy wasn't African American, he was Indian. Therefore, not black.

What if the caller called him a skinny brown guy? Is that OK? Or do we need to have exact racial makeup to call 911?

What if the caller called him a skinny brown guy? Is that OK? Or do we need to have exact racial makeup to call 911?

I think most people call and report suspicious activity, and probably don't even mention race until they're asked for a description. You can describe people however you want, but emphasizing race from the outset strikes me as unnecessary. Do you think police will respond more quickly if you identify someone's skin color immediately upon calling them?

Edited by Azalin