Cover Songs

I used to practice guitar to Made in Japan, and Blackmore is still my musical deity, although I'm not a huge fan of his new stuff. It's good to know that there's someone out there that shares an appreciation of Purple. :beer:

Space Truckin' at 20 minutes was my introduction to long jams. The band I played in in the mid 70's played a lot of long jams (ie Whipping Post). Not because we were great at long jams (we were good but not great) but because we had no idea how to end the song. :lol:

I did my externship from the CIA in Hilton Head Island the spring of 1981. My roommate had a Camaro he'd let me borrow. I'd cruise along the beach and crank up Hush. Perfect cruising song.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Space Truckin' at 20 minutes was my introduction to long jams. The band I played in in the mid 70's played a lot of long jams (ie Whipping Post). Not because we were great at long jams (we were good but not great) but because we had no idea how to end the song. :lol:

I did my externship from the CIA in Hilton Head Island the spring of 1981. My roommate had a Camaro he'd let me borrow. I'd cruise along the beach and crank up Hush. Perfect cruising song.

Our histories, as well as our tastes, appear to be similar. We used to make long jams out of short songs all the time. Ever hear a 40 minute version of ZZ Top's Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers? :D

ok, i guess i have to go with the hard rock/metal covers here...

mushroomhead-crazy (seal)

machine head-hallowed be thy name (iron maiden)

volbeat-angelf@ck (misfits)

disturbed-land of confusion (phil collins)

devil driver-sail (awolnation)

and it's not metal, but i absolutely love the dave matthews band version on "all along the watchtower" and stevie ray vaughan doing "little wing".

Our histories, as well as our tastes, appear to be similar. We used to make long jams out of short songs all the time. Ever hear a 40 minute version of ZZ Top's Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers? :D

Isn't that song like less than three minutes? I don't even know how you'd do that, but that'd be awesome.

ok, i guess i have to go with the hard rock/metal covers here...

disturbed-land of confusion (phil collins)

I was going to list this one in my list as well, really like that version.

Simple Man - Shinedown is a great cover as well.

And if you really like some heavy current covers, search "metal cover by Leo Moracchioli" (https://www.youtube.com/user/leolego). Very entertaining, but definitely not for everyone, although he does do some acoustic covers as well.

Edited by ricojes

Isn't that song like less than three minutes? I don't even know how you'd do that, but that'd be awesome.

Two guitarists trading solos until they've played everything in G pentatonic that they know, with bass & drums improvising the accompaniment.

And lots of beer. :beer:

I used to practice guitar to Made in Japan, and Blackmore is still my musical deity, although I'm not a huge fan of his new stuff. It's good to know that there's someone out there that shares an appreciation of Purple. :beer:

I saw the Rev. Billy G playing at a small county fair once down here in Texas. It wasn't even like on a main stage. It was just with some other guys, not ZZ Top, just some other dudes. Just in a small organizations party tent. I just shook my head and figured it wasn't him. Then I saw in one of the small town newspapers that he was there.

No but we were known to do a 40 minute version of La Grange. :lol:

When Creedence was first starting out, in high school, they played long jams simply because they had so much time to fill, and only knew a few songs.

For us it was a combination of that and not knowing how to end seeing on the albums they faded out. What the hell we were only 14/15.

If you want a rock inspired ripoff of Beethoven 9, forget Deep Purple.

Look no further than this:

Here's a great and pretty famous cover:

Always enjoyed David Benoit's version of "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" by the late great Vince Guaraldi.

I referenced this guy in another thread recently.

Great cover of "Space Oddity"

And while on the Major Tom theme....I actually like this re-make of "Major Tom" by German pop singer Peter Schilling.

Edited by Stopthepain

If you want a rock inspired ripoff of Beethoven 9, forget Deep Purple.

Look no further than this:

I do love me some Tull! I never heard that before - between Tull & Purple they cover a pretty good chunk of the ninth. :)

I do love me some Tull! I never heard that before - between Tull & Purple they cover a pretty good chunk of the ninth. :)

Absolutely. I'm a big Ritchie Blackmore fan actually...though he did go a bit squirrely when he went into the Medieval folk stuff...though I enjoyed some of that too.

But I prefer the Tull interpretation if you are in the mood for a bit of the old Ludwig Van.

Not even sure this qualifies, per se, as a "cover"...but kind of.

Anyway, someone here hasn't heard this yet and that's a crime.

Great "cover" of sorts of Bach BWV 565. You'll recognize it if you don't know it. Love this video.