Late Night Hosts

Late night  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best late night host that isn't Johnny Carson?

• Jay Leno
    • David Letterman
    • Conan O'Brian
    • Craig Ferguson
    • Carson Daly
    • Seth Meyers
    • Jimmy Fallon
    • Jimmy Kimmel
    • Jon Stewart
    • Stephen Colbert

Johnny

Dave

everybody else.

Close this mother down.

I agree on Johnny which is why he wasn't even in the poll. Every other host after him is a Johnny copycat. That's not even an insult as they all openly and proudly admit to it. Dave got stale about ten years ago.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Johnny

Dave

everybody else.

Close this mother down.

Agreed, if this was 15 years ago. Letterman is stale and creepy now.

Kimmel is the funniest. Fallon is pretty good too. And it's trendy to dump on Leno, but he knew how to deliver.

Agreed, if this was 15 years ago. Letterman is stale and creepy now.

Kimmel is the funniest. Fallon is pretty good too. And it's trendy to dump on Leno, but he knew how to deliver.

His monologue was great. He delivered better than anyone on the list. But his sketches were mediocre, and his interviewing skills are downright boring.

His monologue was great. He delivered better than anyone on the list. But his sketches were mediocre, and his interviewing skills are downright boring.

Gotta say, you could make the same critique of all of these guys...none of them are great interviewers.

If we are asking who "is" the best, right now, I think Kimmels' show has the most laughs...who "was" the best, other than Carson? I would say Dave, in his prime...but that was a while ago. Also, back in the 90's, Costas had a great talk-show...one guest for a half an hour...they could make anybody seem interesting. The only time I have ever seen Charlie Watts, by himself, sit down for any extended interview of any kind.

Truthfully, I think this whole talk-show format is kind of dead, at this point...I rarely watch any of them beyond the monologue or opening sketches...unless there is a musical guest that I want to see.

I would add to the list Graham Norton. If you are bored, and get BBC America on Demand, check out his show. The guy is pretty funny, but what is best about his show, he has four guests, they all come out together, and they just banter amongst themselves. It can be pretty entertaining.

Gotta say, you could make the same critique of all of these guys...none of them are great interviewers.

If we are asking who "is" the best, right now, I think Kimmels' show has the most laughs...who "was" the best, other than Carson? I would say Dave, in his prime...but that was a while ago. Also, back in the 90's, Costas had a great talk-show...one guest for a half an hour...they could make anybody seem interesting. The only time I have ever seen Charlie Watts, by himself, sit down for any extended interview of any kind.

Truthfully, I think this whole talk-show format is kind of dead, at this point...I rarely watch any of them beyond the monologue or opening sketches...unless there is a musical guest that I want to see.

I would add to the list Graham Norton. If you are bored, and get BBC America on Demand, check out his show. The guy is pretty funny, but what is best about his show, he has four guests, they all come out together, and they just banter amongst themselves. It can be pretty entertaining.

I haven't watch much of Fallon, but he does some original things with his guests.

I'd have to look up the interview with Charlie Watts. He always seemed like an odd fit for a group like the Stones. Personality wise. Never seemed like much of a partier.

I haven't watch much of Fallon, but he does some original things with his guests.

I'd have to look up the interview with Charlie Watts. He always seemed like an odd fit for a group like the Stones. Personality wise. Never seemed like much of a partier.

Actually, I guess looks can be deceiving...Charlie had a huge coke and heroin problem...he is just a pretty mild-mannered guy, so nobody would suspect it...if you ever read Keith Richards auto-biography "Life", there are some pretty wild Charlie stories in there... my favorite being him trying to toss Jagger over a hotel balcony, because he referred to the Stones as "my band"...

Edited by Buftex

Actually, I guess looks can be deceiving...Charlie had a huge coke and heroin problem...he is just a pretty mild-mannered guy, so nobody would suspect it...if you ever read Keith Richards auto-biography "Life", there are some pretty wild Charlie stories in there... my favorite being him trying to toss Jagger over a hotel balcony, because he referred to the Stones as "my band"...

That was a great book. I loved the story of him and Ronnie almost burning down the Playboy mansion without even noticing.