Mayock's 2015 Draft Rankings

thebandit27

Just curious: Why is Amari Cooper not rated as an elite, can't miss prospect, along the lines of Watkins, AJ Green, etc? He sure looks like one to me, and his production (with a mediocre QB getting him the ball) is off the charts.

He doesn't have the "wow." He's a very good prospect. Super clean off the field, zero character concerns. But - too many drops, doesn't have speed/explosiveness of Watkins or size of Evans. Elite means just that - unique. So very few fall into it. There aren't a ton of holes in is game - he can get open, he runs smooth routes - but I would put him in the category of a Marquise Lee from last year. Lee would have gone in the 1st other years but was a high 2nd rounder last year. Cooper will go in the top half of the first and could be, like a Reggie Wayne type player. Who doesn't want Reggie Wayne? Therefore, 1st rd talent. But Wayne isn't that "wow" guy like Watkins/Evans were last year because they had that something special to their game that is just not coachable. Put Reggie Wayne with a HOF QB and he's a #1 WR for a decade. Put him with a bum and he may be just an above avg NFL WR. Put Watkins/Evans with ANY QB and they can still make your jaw drop. They can make catches on inaccurate balls, get open when they are the #1 target, make a move that is undefendable. It may be splitting hairs but those are the kinds of things that separate the very good from the elite. JMO

I will add - only because I watched so closely - the same OSU corner who "covered" Sammy in the 2014 Orange Bowl, Doran Grant, covered Cooper 1:1; followed him around the field, in the 2015 Sugar Bowl. Cooper was invisible for most of the game. OSU's secondary had a new scheme and was improved over the year before, but they also had games even this year where they got blown up by WRs you've never heard of for like 200 yards. Grant is a good corner, but he's not going in the 1st rd or anything. Cooper should have had more success on Grant if he's going to step on the field as a #1 WR in the NFL. JMO.

Regarding AJ Green - the best comp in this draft is Davante Parker from Louisville.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to predict that Hundley is this year's EJ. I have heard him do a couple interviews on Rome and some other national show and he is extremely engaging, confident, well-spoken, etc. He talks a very good game. I think he'll have a great combine, kill the interview part, and I think some team will take him in the 1st rd., consider him a project with upside, and of they have bad luck like the Bills, end up starting him too soon because their starter got hurt or didn't work out. He will then remind everyone why he wasn't a 1st rounder to begin with.

Edited by YoloinOhio