Hughes discusses future on Sirius/PFT Live interviews

YoloinOhio

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to franchise tagging him ... isn't the rest of the DL better? If you applied that same idea to the OL, it would be like franchise tagging Henderson or Richardson.

yea, i think the best comparison is to pull our weakest position group and name a guy that isnt even a full time starter at a weakness, as apples to apples to a guy thats a borderline probowler.

I wasn’t trying to infer that they were the same player. Just that Hughes is three years younger than Mario and he should be in the long term 10 year plan with Marcel Dareus, Kiko Alonzo, Preston Brown. When Mario is gone in 4 or 5 years, the Bills will tweak their system. Because they won’t find an identical model or clone of Mario Williams as his replacement.

BTW, I think you are way off the mark in evaluating Hughes’ talent. The guy is a “baller” like James Harrison and Terrell Suggs. Not saying he’s as good, but he’s on that path to get very close to that level. This isn’t a Phil Hanson complimentary role type of player. The guy intimidates the opposing offenses. Lose some of that and see just how hard it is to stay on top.

I don't think he intimidates them at all and he's the last guy on the DL that they'd game plan around. The next time Hughes get double teamed will be the first. If the O doesn't assign guys to help out with Hughes then he's not intimidating them.

I think people are forgetting that Hughes was a bust before he had to luxury of moving to a team with the best DL in football. Granted, I think he was misused in Indy and I also believe he's improved quite a bit but how much of that improvement is him and how much is the DL he's playing with? Is it a coincidence that the light just suddenly went on when he was lining up with Mario, Dareus and Kyle? If he moves on to another team I guess we'll see. My guess is the guy isn't wracking up 20 sacks in the next two seasons with any team that doesn't already have an intimidating DL.

He's a good player, to be sure, but just how good we won't know until he's being accounted for by opposing offenses. I think that might be a motivation for him to move on to another team. I'm sure he'd love to prove he's one of the best and break the bank in the process.

yea, i think the best comparison is to pull our weakest position group and name a guy that isnt even a full time starter at a weakness, as apples to apples to a guy thats a borderline probowler.

:lol:

The point is that the team has 3 excellent DL and some people think it would be a good idea to franchise tag the one that is a part-time player and only one of them that wasn't in the Pro Bowl. It's almost like they don't understand there is a salary cap.

:lol:

The point is that the team has 3 excellent DL and some people think it would be a good idea to franchise tag the one that is a part-time player and only one of them that wasn't in the Pro Bowl. It's almost like they don't understand there is a salary cap.

the thing is, we have no big pay days on the other side of the ball at this point, and pretty much none in the back 7. our cap can support 4 huge hits short term. heck, even KW and MD arent HUUUUUGE contracts, though MD will be soon. on a 1 year deal that hits the full cap ramifications this year, $13m would be high, but not unmanageable