Hughes discusses future on Sirius/PFT Live interviews

YoloinOhio

https://m.soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/billsfa-de-jerry-hughes-discusses-his-future-in-buffalo

Edit: Adding PFT Live interview

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/jerry-hughes-is-ready-to-prove-he-can-thrive-without-rest-of-bills-line/

Jerry Hughes "absolutely" wants to return to Buffalo, "mixed emotions" about franchise tag

@MatthewFairburn: Jerry Hughes said the Bills are his first choice in free agency and discussed possibility getting the franchise tag: http://t.co/Q165niIV6n

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes is not worth $15 mil a season as a situation pass rusher, so franchising him would be grossly over paying.

What is his value for the job he does is the question, and is that good enough for him, or do other teams want him to be a 3 down starter and are willing to pay him like one

Hughes is a good pass rusher, but he's also benefiting from the fact that there are 3 Pro Bowl caliber players on the line with him that the offense has to account for. If he is smart, he will stay in Buffalo. If he wants the big money I'm sure there is some sucker of a team that desperately needs a pass rusher but Hughes will never be able to live up to that contract. It benefits everyone for him to stay here imo

Hughes is a good pass rusher, but he's also benefiting from the fact that there are 3 Pro Bowl caliber players on the line with him that the offense has to account for. If he is smart, he will stay in Buffalo. If he wants the big money I'm sure there is some sucker of a team that desperately needs a pass rusher but Hughes will never be able to live up to that contract. It benefits everyone for him to stay here imo

If he's smart, he will get every penny he can get. Who cares why he is successful? Are you going to pay him if he blows out his knee and gets cut?

The NFL is a dirty business and you need to look after yourself. Get you money Jerry and hopefully it will be in Buffalo.

It definitely feels different than Byrd, who I don't think ever wanted to sign here long term if he had options elsewhere. He was open to it if others didn't pan out to the $ he wanted, but it wasn't his first choice.

It takes both sides to want it done to get a long term deal done

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hughes is not worth $15 mil a season as a situation pass rusher, so franchising him would be grossly over paying.

What is his value for the job he does is the question, and is that good enough for him, or do other teams want him to be a 3 down starter and are willing to pay him like one

Where do you get $15M from?

CBF

If he's smart, he will get every penny he can get. Who cares why he is successful? Are you going to pay him if he blows out his knee and gets cut?

The NFL is a dirty business and you need to look after yourself. Get you money Jerry and hopefully it will be in Buffalo.

some people care as much about being good as they do about making money. he's going to have enough to live the rest of his life either way. what's 1 or 2 mil between friends?

i agree but i think we neglect that going elsewhere for pennies more and getting cut in 2 years because he cant be the #1 guy and having to find a role player deal might not be as lucrative as keeping up the good thing he has going now.

IF (all caps IF) hes only being discussed at that pay grade due to his line mates, there is a potential benefit to sticking in that situation.

Edited by NoSaint

some people care as much about being good as they do about making money. he's going to have enough to live the rest of his life either way. what's 1 or 2 mil between friends?

Haha. I hope you're right but he's never going to have a better chance to get this amount of money. He owes it to himself and his family to maximize his earning potential. This is the most physical sport in the world and does not have guaranteed contracts.

I honestly think that if he signs anywhere except Buffalo that he will struggle.

He fit perfectly in our system and played along side some of the best talent in all the NFL.

Not saying this to be mean but I think that all the talent on the Bills defense helped him be as good as he is now.

I think that if he goes somewhere where he is the star then he may not be as good as he was with us.

If thats the case, I dont blame him for taking all he can because who is to say that he doest measure up to new expectations in a few years?

CBF

The point (at least to me) is that there's a good chance he won't blow his knees out. If he stays here and plays well in the set-up which allowed him to be in the enviable position he is in now, that contract ends and he's 30, 31, and can re-up with another huge contract. If he goes somewhere else, and it turns out his success was due to the system and surroundings (said 3 pro-bowlers on line), this may be his last contract.

He's not a situational pass rusher. He's the starting RE

well let's face it... Byrd took the money and ran with it. we weren't giving that much to a guy that can't stay on the field. and we see how that worked out for N-O. i'm sure the Bills will be smart about it but if some random desperate team comes in with a ton of money guaranteed then he is gone. not much we can do about that. hopefully it works out for us but i hope they don't overspend on him. i'm sure there are a lot of guys that could get 10 sacks if the other 3 lineman are getting double teamed every play

well let's face it... Byrd took the money and ran with it. we weren't giving that much to a guy that can't stay on the field. and we see how that worked out for N-O. i'm sure the Bills will be smart about it but if some random desperate team comes in with a ton of money guaranteed then he is gone. not much we can do about that. hopefully it works out for us but i hope they don't overspend on him. i'm sure there are a lot of guys that could get 10 sacks if the other 3 lineman are getting double teamed every play

Well said

CBF

I'd give Hughes more credit. If you could just plug any of these guys in with the other three then Wynn, Charles, Bryant would all be in the neighborhood of 5-7 sacks as they would be benefiting from the others rather than the 1-3 they have. Hughes has 20 sacks over 2 years because he's damn good... he'll need to be paid.

i agree but i think we neglect that going elsewhere for pennies more and getting cut in 2 years because he cant be the #1 guy and having to find a role player deal might not be as lucrative as keeping up the good thing he has going now.

IF (all caps IF) hes only being discussed at that pay grade due to his line mates, there is a potential benefit to sticking in that situation.

Pretty sure that pro athletes don't say to themselves, "I'm not a legit #1 guy, I'm lucky to be racking up the numbers I am." I'm sure he thinks he'll have success no matter where he goes so why not make the most money while doing it?

Of course, I have my doubts whether he actually will, but I'm sure he doesn't have those same doubts.