2015 Franchise Tag preview

YoloinOhio

Spend the money elsewhere. Spending big in a TE is like buying solid gold bathroom fixtures. They may look nice, but, you're never going to get your money's worth out of them.

Y'all do this to yourselves every offseason, it's time to move on from we must upgrade TE. Needs in order are:

QB

OG

RB

DB

TE

I agree with QB as #1 (don't we all?)...after that, I put TE and OG as a tie for #2. RBs can be found in the mid rounds and FA pretty easily from what the rest of the league shows (I mean, Justin Forsett had a huge year for Baltimore), and this team's DBs were outstanding down the stretch.

I guess I'm just trying to say that prioritizing TE doesn't preclude the team from pursuing a QB...I think most of us are viewing an attempted QB upgrade as a given in any and all scenarios.

Spend the money elsewhere. Spending big in a TE is like buying solid gold bathroom fixtures. They may look nice, but, you're never going to get your money's worth out of them.

Y'all do this to yourselves every offseason, it's time to move on from we must upgrade TE. Needs in order are:

QB

OG

RB

DB

TE

Remind me not to visit your bathroom.

I respecfully disagree. A legitimate "threat" at the TE position causes all kinds of problems for the defense. Offense is this team's #1 problem. I'm not saying TE is more important than QB, but I rank it higher than OG. Look at the OL of the last four Super Bowl winners...very "meh."

Manning didn't create his ability to get open, his hands, or his speed.

but manning and those WRs certainly help create space around him to get open, matchups that are favorable and throws that are into windows that other qbs cant rely on.

im not saying hes a total bum, but that i dont feel confident hes a game changer on his own.

Remind me not to visit your bathroom.

I respecfully disagree. A legitimate "threat" at the TE position causes all kinds of problems for the defense. Offense is this team's #1 problem. I'm not saying TE is more important than QB, but I rank it higher than OG. Look at the OL of the last four Super Bowl winners...very "meh."

no o-line upgrade = failed season. I really should have put that first, silly me. Matchup nightmares, IMO, don't mean diddly squat unless you have a QB. Having a QB doesn't mean diddly squat unless you have an o-line capable of giving him protection and having the ability to run the ball effectively. Having a line capable of opening up running lanes doesn't mean diddly squat unless you have RBs capable of taking advantage of those lanes.

Now, if you have all that covered then, IMO, you worry about upgrading the TE position.

no o-line upgrade = failed season. I really should have put that first, silly me. Matchup nightmares, IMO, don't mean diddly squat unless you have a QB. Having a QB doesn't mean diddly squat unless you have an o-line capable of giving him protection and having the ability to run the ball effectively. Having a line capable of opening up running lanes doesn't mean diddly squat unless you have RBs capable of taking advantage of those lanes.

Now, if you have all that covered then, IMOVIE, you worry about upgrading the TE position.

I'm of the opinion the OL will improve based upon a number of factors: coaching, time (rookies not rookies any more), coaching, Incognito, and coaching.

QB speaks for itself (high priority)

TE isn't a luxury (in my opinion)

We can agree to disagree. I have no idea what IMOVIE means.

I'm of the opinion the OL will improve based upon a number of factors: coaching, time (rookies not rookies any more), coaching, Incognito, and coaching.

QB speaks for itself (high priority)

TE isn't a luxury (in my opinion)

We can agree to disagree. I have no idea what IMOVIE means.

auto fill when I type IMO on my phone. (And corrected as soon as I read the post. My apologies for not editing before hitting the post button.)

The o-line needs at least 3 more players via FA or the draft. OG, C & OT need an infusion of talent whether the Marrone who coached them previously is at fault for miserable play or not. I'm not anti Richie, but he alone ain't gonna fix things (not saying you said he would, just reinforcing my point about a much needed talent infusion).

Would I be disappointed if they signed a top flight TE? Only if the o-line was not addressed further in FA.

auto fill when I type IMO on my phone. (And corrected as soon as I read the post. My apologies for not editing before hitting the post button.)

The o-line needs at least 3 more players via FA or the draft. OG, C & OT need an infusion of talent whether the Marrone who coached them previously is at fault for miserable play or not. I'm not anti Richie, but he alone ain't gonna fix things (not saying you said he would, just reinforcing my point about a much needed talent infusion).

Would I be disappointed if they signed a top flight TE? Only if the o-line was not addressed further in FA.

if you think this team is adding 3 starting caliber players on top of incognito, i think your expectations for what an nfl line tends to look like are a bit out of whack.

Odds are we are looking at Glenn, Williams/some outside competition, Wood, Incognito/CK, and Henderson at the top, and while its not ELITE, i think if the outside guy is a good player we are in good shape with adding coaching talent, and an additional weapon that can hurt you if you blitz.

if you think this team is adding 3 starting caliber players on top of incognito, i think your expectations for what an nfl line tends to look like are a bit out of whack.

Odds are we are looking at Glenn, Williams/some outside competition, Wood, Incognito/CK, and Henderson at the top, and while its not ELITE, i think if the outside guy is a good player we are in good shape with adding coaching talent, and an additional weapon that can hurt you if you blitz.

Now, I made it clear that I wasn't putting words in eball's mouth, so, please do the same. Where have I said 3 additional starters?

Julius is a special talent and in another offense, makes lots of sense. His weakness is blocking. It's a glaring weakness too. Considering there's a good chance we run a lot of 2te power sets, I don't think he really fits what we're looking for. Our TEs need to be able to block. If we can get him for 4-5 mill, I'd roll the dice and fit him in accordingly, but I think his price tag will be much higher. Jmo

Edited by NewEra

IMO, there is zero to suggest that Gray is a "young Davis", Lee Smith is a liability in ever phase of the game, and Chandler excels in zero phases of the game. This team needs a threat at TE, and they don't have anything resembling one.

I'm fine if they keep Gray as a 3rd TE because he's young, athletic, and can play ST. I'd be much happier if they signed a guy like Gresham and drafted a guy to be the TE2.

Pretty much this^^^

I think that Clay is probably my top TE choice as I have really thought about it. I want an RB in the 2nd (hopefully Gurley) and Boling, Revis + a QB (hopefully Bradford) and you have my dream offseason.

We need 2 starters and we need insurance at center. I won't depend on Williams or Incognito and the Bills would be smart to do the same.

i think the plan is between williams, incognito, urbik (3 guys with starting experience), and CK, plus possibly 1 other you have to find 2 serviceable starting guys (maybe 1 a little above, and 1 a little below average, but serviceable as a whole) and likely your backup center and a backup guard is in that mess. The tackles are more or less set for the year i also believe (maybe a depth guy), as is the starting center. add in richardson and your already to a full roster of OL by adding the one body. i also think the change in coaching will help out glenn, wood, henderson, and maybe some of the others along with the year in the program for the rookies.

i dont think you see them add 3 bodies, and i think that id put upgrading TE is something id be far more excited with.

Edited by NoSaint

i think the plan is between williams, incognito, urbik (3 guys with starting experience), and CK, plus possibly 1 other you have to find 2 serviceable starting guys (maybe 1 a little above, and 1 a little below average, but serviceable as a whole) and likely your backup center and a backup guard is in that mess. The tackles are more or less set for the year i also believe (maybe a depth guy), as is the starting center. add in richardson and your already to a full roster of OL by adding the one body. i also think the change in coaching will help out glenn, wood, henderson, and maybe some of the others along with the year in the program for the rookies.

i dont think you see them add 3 bodies, and i think that id put upgrading TE is something id be far more excited with.

Sure you would, everyone would be more excited by upgrading TE in FA. It's a shiny new toy and we haven't had one in years. Meanwhile it won't matter one iota (ok, I exaggerate a little) if the o-line isn't given an overhaul IMO.

Pretty much this^^^

I think that Clay is probably my top TE choice as I have really thought about it. I want an RB in the 2nd (hopefully Gurley) and Boling, Revis + a QB (hopefully Bradford) and you have my dream offseason.

The only place we diverge on this is that I'd rather have a 3rd pass rusher instead of Revis. I shudder to think about this defense against Brady without either Hughes or Mario. Wynn is a good #4 pass rusher; I'd like to pick up a guy like Freeney to be a situational pass rusher in case either of our studs goes down.

Sure you would, everyone would be more excited by upgrading TE in FA. It's a shiny new toy and we haven't had one in years. Meanwhile it won't matter one iota (ok, I exaggerate a little) if the o-line isn't given an overhaul IMO.

having a nice pair of tight ends would be more than a shiny new toy. it brings versatility to play calling, a weapon to the passing game, and potentially a better blocker than chandler without having to resort to lee smith. thats a pretty valuable spot, when compared to a 3rd body added to the line.

The only place we diverge on this is that I'd rather have a 3rd pass rusher instead of Revis. I shudder to think about this defense against Brady without either Hughes or Mario. Wynn is a good #4 pass rusher; I'd like to pick up a guy like Freeney to be a situational pass rusher in case either of our studs goes down.

Fair enough, I just think with the Rex Ryan scheme and the guys still up front that the pressure will come. I think that the field would be locked up with Revis and Gilmore that even those BS short routes that typically kill us would be under control. I would not be opposed to a situational pass rusher at all if you could fit him in. You may find an aging vet that gets released pretty cheap.

If Mario goes down we are in trouble anyways. It is tough on any team when you lose your best player. It's tough to argue that anyone other than Mario (with the possible exception of Dareus) is our best player.

having a nice pair of tight ends would be more than a shiny new toy. it brings versatility to play calling, a weapon to the passing game, and potentially a better blocker than chandler without having to resort to lee smith. thats a pretty valuable spot, when compared to a 3rd body added to the line.

As I said upthread...not without a QB and a QB won't matter without an o-line. You've got your priorities reversed IMO. We'll agree to disagree (again).

But, remember this...I'm undefeated.