Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

YoloinOhio

Thanks....we were just discussing this at lunch and wondering about this exact question.

Yeah, it's not even fair in terms of comparison. Stewart is one of the most well paid guys on TV ($50 million a year) but that's because he produces more than just the Daily Show, and Oliver (after 17 years of Exec Producing the show along with Colbert and the Nightly Show) could reach that plateau if he stuck it out for as long... but right now he's being paid seven figures by a network with no sponsors and very little creative interference. And, there's a good chance if the show continues to be a hit for HBO that he matches Stewart's pay soon enough, without even having to moonlight.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's become as important to the news as Face The Nation or Meet The Press. Bad enough we lost the Colbert Report.

As much as I like The Daily Show, it's depressing to think that it actually ranks as any kind of actual news program in peoples' minds.

Yeah, it's not even fair in terms of comparison. Stewart is one of the most well paid guys on TV ($50 million a year) but that's because he produces more than just the Daily Show, and Oliver (after 17 years of Exec Producing the show along with Colbert and the Nightly Show) could reach that plateau if he stuck it out for as long... but right now he's being paid seven figures by a network with no sponsors and very little creative interference. And, there's a good chance if the show continues to be a hit for HBO that he matches Stewart's pay soon enough, without even having to moonlight.

he makes 50 mill/yr?! Holy... I had no idea it was that much

Excellent closing quote to NY Times article:

“The only reason you mock something is when it doesn’t live up to the ideal,” Mr. Stewart said. “There’s a huge difference between what these journalists are doing on the ground, and the perversion of it that is the 24-hour news networks.”

Not a chance Oliver comes back. They can't afford him. HBO pays (boat loads) better than Comedy Central can and Oliver is really excited about having Sunday night to himself (plus he moved to LA to do the show). They'll have to hire from within, but I doubt very much Oliver goes back as anything more than a guest correspondent.

Oh, I will take your word on that. I just assumed, though, that Oliver would make considerably more money doing the Daily Show, 4 nights a week, for what? 40 weeks in a year, than one show per week for about 30 weeks. But, the point is moot, and you are right. I think a statement was officially released yesterday, that Oliver would not be going to the Daily Show.

Comedy Central should just end The Daily Show when Stewart leaves. He saved the show when he replaced Craig Kilborn, and made it the success it's become because of his personality and comedy style. I'm sure they could continue the show without him, but they would have to mold it around a new personality, and I don't think anyone can match Stewart - let alone top him - in the Daily Show format. It would be like replacing Cartman in South Park.

No, think of the Daily Show as the Tonight Show. Comedy Central won't let it go...especially on the eve of a presidential campaign...

i don't get HBO, but have heard really good thing about Oliver's show

I think you could make the argument that Oliver is doing the closest thing to real news journalism (with humor) than any of the so-called legit television news media. He typically spends about 20 minutes of his show on one topic, and they go in depth, explaining a situation, all the nuts and bolts of the issue...I love the Daily Show, but Olivers' show is more substantial in its' content. For a relatively obscure guy, only having about 15 episodes so far, his investigative pieces have gotten a lot of attention... and though I know some would complain that he is just another lefty with a comedy forum, it isn't that simple.

No, think of the Daily Show as the Tonight Show. Comedy Central won't let it go...especially on the eve of a presidential campaign...

The tonight show didn't have a political bent to it - at least not during its heyday with Johnny Carson. Both shows are driven by the hosts's personality and sensibilities, but Stewart's style is decidedly more political. They'll have to replace him with someone else of a similar political stripe who is also funny enough while being as quick-witted an interviewer. I can't think of anyone who fits that bill.

Edited by Azalin

I thought Kilborn was really funny on the old Daily Show; I used to watch it all the time back then, way before it was popular.

John Oliver is probably the logical choice, but his HBO show is great -- I'd honestly rather see him stay there.

I totally agree. Oliver is !@#$ing CRUSHING it on HBO. He won't leave to go back under the thumb of cable TV.

And I don't think Stewart wants the grind anymore, so don't count on him bopping over to NBC (although I think that would be a baller move for him AND NBC, which is precisely why NBC would never do it, as has already been noted).

Did you see Stewart go back to when Fox people kept saying Obama is acting like a King and calling him King Obama?

yup, I thought that was part of the link I pointed to

80% of the bombs dropped were from the US under Obama's executive order.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• 2 weeks later...