Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

YoloinOhio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm too surprised by the news, Stewart's sounded like he's been done for a few years now in almost every interview I've seen with him recently. Even if he's not your cup of political tea, you have to tip your hat to the guy for doing something that many, many, many, MANY people have tried (and failed) to do before: reinvent the format for a nightly talk show. And he did it his way, taking over for a dying show and restructuring it into a huge hit for a then struggling Comedy Central. Along the way he gave a platform to some of the best names in comedy today: Steve Carrell, John Oliver, Colbert, Ed Helms, Rob Riggle, Matt Walsh, Rob Corrdry, Josh Gad, and Larry Wilmore on top of dozens of others.

:beer: Thanks for the laughs, Jon.

Stewart leaves The Daily Show, Brian Williams suspended from NBC News. Hmmmm...

I would pay to see Stewart on NBC's prime time news.

It'd be the smartest thing NBC ever did for their news department, which just means they won't do it. :lol:

And... Just because it was mentioned, here's the segment on Williams last night. It's pretty great.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/j3ware/guardians-of-the-veracity

I'd be interested to see Stewart do serious news, but I don't think he's cut out to be an anchor. Anchors are at least in theory supposed to give the news without a whole lot of opinion. Stewart would be wasted in that role. He loves to share his opinion. He'd do better as a liberal version of Bill O'Reilly - which actually isn't too far removed from what he does on Comedy Central. He just won't have the comedy net to save him whenever he gets called out for irresponsible journalism.

I'd be interested to see Stewart do serious news, but I don't think he's cut out to be an anchor. Anchors are at least in theory supposed to give the news without a whole lot of opinion. Stewart would be wasted in that role. He loves to share his opinion. He'd do better as a liberal version of Bill O'Reilly - which actually isn't too far removed from what he does on Comedy Central. He just won't have the comedy net to save him whenever he gets called out for irresponsible journalism.

I think that's probably right, I doubt he has any interest in doing straight news considering how little he thinks of the industry as a whole. My bet would be he goes off and becomes a pretty decent director over the next decade or so.

I've always loved Stewart. People on my side (yes TRBJ is a conservative, proud of it too. I just stay away from PPP) always bash him for being too liberal, which tells me they don't watch the show. He leans slightly left yes, but he's not afraid to attack the president, or any liberal politician/policy when they need it.

I've always loved Stewart. People on my side (yes TRBJ is a conservative, proud of it too. I just stay away from PPP) always bash him for being too liberal, which tells me they don't watch the show. He leans slightly left yes, but he's not afraid to attack the president, or any liberal politician/policy when they need it.

if they do something dumb, he'll bash them for sure.

wait what..... you're a conservative?!?!?!??! :nana:

I'm kinda hoping that these two get it. They've been with the team for a very long time, and can be incredibly entertaining.

I think there was some hurt feelings when John Oliver got to sub for Stewart when he left to do Rosewater instead of Jones, who was the most senior of the correspondents. I think he would do a good job continuing the Daily Show mission.

But here are two wild cards: Jessica Williams, or John Oliver. Yes, bring him back.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

if they do something dumb, he'll bash them for sure.

wait what..... you're a conservative?!?!?!??! :nana:

More of a libertarian. I'd even say extremely libertarian. My feeling on gay marriage for example. I'm against it. Because I'm against marriage being an institution of the government. What two people, man-woman, man-man, woman-woman, do living together shouldn't have any legal standing. The only legal benefit of marriage is income tax break, which is something that never should have happened.