RIP Radio Shack

used to be the go to place for parts, adapters, switching boxes, cables, antenna stuff...and the salesman usually knew what you needed and could find it. now i get all that stuff on amazon cheaper and with more choices and with reviews. picked up a wii to hdmi adapter this week for 15 bucks. got it the next day. probably not even available at radio shack. they just got left behind.

"The company said it has a deal to sell 1,500 to 2,400 of its 4,000 company-owned stores to Standard General, a New York hedge fund that provided a rescue loan to the company last fall. Separately, Sprint has agreed to set up operations inside up to 1,750 stores, which would carry both the RadioShack and Sprint names."

I don't think the bankruptcy means the death of the RadioShack brand. I certainly hope not. Oddly, we had two RadioShacks within a mile of eachother; one in a plaza, one in a mall. The one in the mall had been there since my childhood. It closed last month. My wife and I went to the mall yesterday and it was sad to see the store "boarded up" with white drywall.

The one in the plaza remains open. I just went there last month because I went to Walmart, KMart, Target and FYE looking for a 1/8" --> 1/4" adapter and came up empty. RadioShack had what the others did not.

I hope the name lives on and that they continue to carry the oddball things that the big box stores do not.

Wait - weren't they "A Tandy Company." So what is happening with all the other Tandy Companies like uh, err, whoever they are?

Tandy was a leather merchandiser. I always thought that an odd combination.

Ah yes the mighty trash 80. Model 3 or 4?

Never had either. I lusted after one though. First computer was a Mac SE with dual 800k drives - AND a wicked huge 40 megabyte exterior hard drive. Thought I'd never use the entire capacity when I first got it. :lol: