Now THAT'S a halftime show.

_BiB_

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to see an actual band play their instruments - a lost tradition at such events.

Those of you who liked it - make sure you tell the NFL. It'd probably be nice for the people who worked to make it happen to know they are appreciated.

On another topic: HUGE thumbs up to Anheuser Busch for their "Military People at the Airport". That may be the greatest commercial of all time - I have chills just typing about it. If you agree, let them know as well. It's nice to know a little class on television is still possible.

On another topic:  HUGE thumbs up to Anheuser Busch for their "Military People at the Airport".  That may be the greatest commercial of all time - I have chills just typing about it.  If you agree, let them know as well.  It's nice to know a little class on television is still possible.

231152[/snapback]

Agreed, that was a great commercial. Nothing really to do with beer....but a great commercial.

It was nice to see an actual band play their instruments - a lost tradition at such events.

Those of you who liked it - make sure you tell the NFL.  It'd probably be nice for the people who worked to make it happen to know they are appreciated.

On another topic:  HUGE thumbs up to Anheuser Busch for their "Military People at the Airport".  That may be the greatest commercial of all time - I have chills just typing about it.  If you agree, let them know as well.  It's nice to know a little class on television is still possible.

231152[/snapback]

By far the best commercial of the night. Needless to say it got a little "dusty" in the room when that one was aired.

one of the better halftime shows i've seen

but coulda used a little more cowbell :w00t:

i wanna see metallica or nickelback get to do a halftime show :lol:

231174[/snapback]

HTF do you use those two bands together? Of course, version 3.0 of Metallica sucks almost as much as Nickleback. :doh:

HTF do you use those two bands together?  Of course, version 3.0 of Metallica sucks almost as much as Nickleback.  :doh:

231180[/snapback]

:lol:

I saw them in concert a few months ago and the they still rock as hard as the did 10 years ago. Metallica that is....

I don't think they'd be good for a halftime show, though.

I wish he would have shown a boob, would have atleast been somewhat entertaining. I like his music, but come on, we are in 2005 here.

230147[/snapback]

Its halftome of a football game.....no show even needed. If you want what infants tend to call entertainment, flip the channel, and watch Music....errr, MTV

I wish they would have finished with Live and Let Die, just to end the show with the energy, lights, fireworks, etc.... Also would have preferred Maybe I'm Amazed to Hey Jude, but all in all, it is about time they showed some CLASS at halftime instead of trailer pop trash! The fans did not seem like they wanted Paul to leave.  :lol:

230625[/snapback]

I agree with this.

Live and let die should have been the closing song.

But all in all, best 1/2-time show in years IMO

:lol:

I saw them in concert a few months ago and the they still rock as hard as the did 10 years ago. Metallica that is....

I don't think they'd be good for a halftime show, though.

231194[/snapback]

As long as they don't play anything from the abortion known as: "St. Anger". If I wanted to listen to Korn, I'd buy THEIR album.

Helter Skelter would have been a terrible choice for the occasion. Great screaming toe-tapper in it's day, but the Manson conotations and the fact that it lyrically means nothing to most people, would be reason enough to not choose it.

Yeah, Helter Skelter is a good song, but the NFL was incredibly strict - even with Macca. They went over all of the lyrics to the songs he proposed to make sure nothing "offensive" or "inappropriate" would be performed. Helter Skelter wouldn't have even made it out of Paul's lips before the League shot it down.

She's a Woman, though a good mid-60's rocker, would be kind of stupid for a grandfather in his 60's to be singing.

"Drive My Car" isn't talking about a car, either, you know. :lol: She's A Woman - or, really anything that showcased Paul's great Little Richard impersonation rock voice (you could go with I'm Down instead of She's A Woman, since they're in that same vein) would have been a good choice. The lyrics were meaningless at this point because they're pop staples - everybody knows them.

I really liked having a single artist with his song catalog and preforming talent do the halftime. I really didn't like the idea of trying to fit in 8 different acts into one halftime.

231105[/snapback]

I agree. This is in large part because MTV is no longer producing the half time show, thankfully.

Still, isn't it ironic that a Beatle - who, back in the 60's were considered just as offensive/corruptive as, say, the Janet Jackson show - is the one restoring "moral values" to the half time show?

Why Kiss? They are from New York. Detroit Rock City?

Since it's in Detroit, I could see the NFL going with Kiss before Metallica or the Stones...unfortunately.

231187[/snapback]

I agree. This is in large part because MTV is no longer producing the half time show, thankfully.

231218[/snapback]

Thank you Janet Jackson. Not only did I get to see your weird looking nipple, but you got (no)MTV banned from the Super Bowl. Proof that there may very well be a God.

Yawn, Pass the boring white bread please.  :lol:

231119[/snapback]

You are dead on.

Everyone who thinks that the halftime show was so great, has to remember that some of the songs are now nearing 40 years old(Guns n Roses covered “Live and Let Die” 20 years ago). For all you baby boomers, that is the equivalent of you having to listen to the big band sounds of the 30's and 40's. Could you imagine having to listen to Benny Goodman?

Think how you felt when everyone told you how great that music was and how your music is crap. Everyone always thinks that their generations’ music is the best and everyone else’s is crap.

Bottom line is that music is a young person’s game and watching ageing stars, like Paul McCartney was not only boring but painful.

McCartney WAS NOT lipsyching. What in hell gave you that idea?

The fact that his voice cracked a little on the Live and Let Die high scream (at the end of the phrase "give 'em helllll!") should be proof enough. Somebody else suggested to me he wasn't playing the bass because his hands weren't moving. McCartney is a very efficient bass player and he positions his right hand on the neck in such a way that he doen't have to do a lot of movement of the arm or wrist. It's done mostly with his fingers and he can hit most of the needed notes between the 4th and 8th frets.

Hey Jude was saved until last because it's the most anthemic and allowed an opportunity to get the crowd involved with the placards and sing-a-long.

Helter Skelter would have been a terrible choice for the occasion. Great screaming toe-tapper in it's day, but the Manson conotations and the fact that it lyrically means nothing to most people, would be reason enough to not choose it. She's a Woman, though a good mid-60's rocker, would be kind of stupid for a grandfather in his 60's to be singing. One of Macs greatest songs was Maybe I'm Amazed, but it is hard as hell to sing in it's original key. He was just barely able to hit it 15 years ago, and I'd be real surprised if he includes it as part of the song list for his upcoming tour.

I really liked having a single artist with his song catalog and preforming talent do the halftime. I really didn't like the idea of trying to fit in 8 different acts into one halftime.

This year they want for quality over quantity.

Little side note:

Today is the 41st anniversary of the Beatles first arrival to the U.S. - except for George, who'd jammed at a VFW club in Illinois a few months earlier (true).

231105[/snapback]

Great post. You are exactly correct.