Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

I'm okay with RG3. He has some flaws but has also proven to be an accurate thrower and a dynamic playmaker (even at this level). He is all screwed up at the moment but a lot of that could be recovering from that injury. Anyone that we are talking about comes with some risk. RG is high on the risk scale but also probably highest on the reward scale.

I will go back to my relative who is has been a NFL talent evaluator for over 15 years. He said the year RG3 declared for the draft that he was the best player he has EVER scouted. He felt the decision between RG3 and Luck was not as obvious as everyone thought. People can now say that sounds stupid, but he said he made throws that blew his mind based on what was going on in the play and was one of the most intelligent, mature kids coming out of college he ever met plus had insane athleticism. Clearly he has had many issues and I haven't really followed it all, but he's young and I think he has potential with right coaching and team surrounding him.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you didn't see the tweet, read the thread, or understand it. Glad you chimed in to criticize it!!! :nana:

Did the sun rise in the East?

I will go back to my relative who is has been a NFL talent evaluator for over 15 years. He said the year RG3 declared for the draft that he was the best player he has EVER scouted. He felt the decision between RG3 and Luck was not as obvious as everyone thought. People can now say that sounds stupid, but he said he made throws that blew his mind based on what was going on in the play and was one of the most intelligent, mature kids coming out of college he ever met plus had insane athleticism. Clearly he has had many issues and I haven't really followed it all, but he's young and I think he has potential with right coaching and team surrounding him.

It would be nice if it was the Bills' turn to resurrect a failing career.

This echoes what I was saying yesterday.

IF, and it's a big IF, but IF RG3 came to the Bills and IF he could "pull it back together" and IF could stay healthy, he would BY FAR be the most talented QB we could realistically acquire this off-season.

BY FAR!

I think it hinges on whether or not you think he can stay healthy playing his game, and if he is now so damaged that he can't be resurrected.

I'd take a chance on him easily, unless someone at OBD has some other better secret plan we don't know about.

His, and his father's, media antics here in DC prove contrary to the bolded portion. But I do think Roman would bring him along slowly and open the playbook as he progresses if RG3 is the move.

His, and his father's, media antics here in DC prove contrary to the bolded portion. But I do think Roman would bring him along slowly and open the playbook as he progresses if RG3 is the move.

agree from what I heard and again I don't follow it closely, just what the national media throws out there. I was always surprised when I heard that stuff because it truly was not his characterization when he was coming into the league. I don't doubt he has made mistakes but I don't think it's a situation like with Manziel where it's "you knew what you were getting, this who he always has been and he's not going to change." I don't think that is who RG3 has always been.jmo. Edited by YoloinOhio

agree from what I heard and again I don't follow it closely, just what the national media throws out there. I was always surprised when I heard that stuff because it truly was not his characterization when he was coming into the league. I don't doubt he has made mistakes but I don't think it's a situation like with Manziel where it's "you knew what you were getting, this I how he always has been and he's not going to change." I don't think that is who RG3 has always been.jmo.

I do think a lot of that would be diminished in a smaller media market like ours as well. I'm definitely not against the move, but he does need an attitude check. I'm sure Rex would be happy to teach him a media lesson or 2.

Side note: Does an RG3 acquisition guarantee us Hard Knocks?

I do think a lot of that would be diminished in a smaller media market like ours as well. I'm definitely not against the move, but he does need an attitude check. I'm sure Rex would be happy to teach him a media lesson or 2.

it would be a big story

There's your answer.

That's a "little talked about direction"? Not here...

Anyway...just say no. Roman had a far better QB in SF who regressed this year. Unless you have Russel Wilson on your roster, forget about the "read option". Pocket passer please...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Intelligence and maturity at the college level means zero in the NFL, and a lot of it has to do with interviews and nothing to do with football intelligence. I am in no way diminishing what your relative said or saw, at all, only that it's impossible (and I'm sure he would say this too) to gauge a players ability to process NFL defenses intelligently or quickly enough, after playing at Baylor in that offense. That also says nothing about a player's head and his want to put in the time to study as a pro, which RG3 clearly did not do.

I don't think he is a total lost cause. And I do think the upside is the highest.

But he is shot right now. I remember watching the last game last year and he threw this DART across the middle that was a fabulous pass. And I was, like, "Holy Hell, what a throw!" And when they showed the replay, he had all the time and room in the world, and he threw it off his back foot anyway. All arm. In some ways that's even more impressive. But it's the sign of a guy who has ZERO fundamentals and is not playing the game right in any way. And later he threw TERRIBLE passes off his back foot repeatedly.

Normally teams with a new coach don't get it. But I think that just means they have the choice to opt out. Rex however, would love it, and would be great on it.

The most recent portion of this thread = the triumph of hope over experience.

If they do get Griffin, I sure hope my pessimism proves to be ill-founded. My concern is that QBs aren't RBs or LBs. I just don't see a Marshawn or Roland McClain-type outcome.

I can't recall if you've mentioned this previously in the thread, but who among the detritus out there would be your favored option?

I can't recall if you've mentioned this previously in the thread, but who among the detritus out there would be your favored option?

Good question. I don't know!! I'd like to say Drew Brees, but that's implausible. Maybe RG III is the best realistic option out there, but that doesn't make me feel good about taking him. I'm not a fan. The problem is there are so few good QBs, and they're basically impossible to get in FA or via trade. I do think they should draft one fairly early, regardless.

Intelligence and maturity at the college level means zero in the NFL, and a lot of it has to do with interviews and nothing to do with football intelligence. I am in no way diminishing what your relative said or saw, at all, only that it's impossible (and I'm sure he would say this too) to gauge a players ability to process NFL defenses intelligently or quickly enough, after playing at Baylor in that offense. That also says nothing about a player's head and his want to put in the time to study as a pro, which RG3 clearly did not do.

I don't think he is a total lost cause. And I do think the upside is the highest.

But he is shot right now. I remember watching the last game last year and he threw this DART across the middle that was a fabulous pass. And I was, like, "Holy Hell, what a throw!" And when they showed the replay, he had all the time and room in the world, and he threw it off his back foot anyway. All arm. In some ways that's even more impressive. But it's the sign of a guy who has ZERO fundamentals and is not playing the game right in any way. And later he threw TERRIBLE passes off his back foot repeatedly.

His mechanics, attitude, ego, tendency to get injured....there is a lot conspiring against him.

But he represents enormous upside potential. He would literally need to be re-educated in many ways, starting with attitude.

He reminds me of a lot of hockey players who start going sideways in their career and really just need a change of scenery and a second chance at a new beginning.

If RGIII is man enough to be that type of guy, he could be fantastic in a new city, like Buffalo!

Believe it or not he is pretty plugged in. He broke the Spikes signing and was completely on top of ownership. His information is solid albeit vague in this case. I think that the issue is it is so vague that it has spawned a 15 page thread that has probably listed 25 different QBs as possibilities. The point being, the Bills are focused on a direction that is different than most have speculated. How far down does that go? It probably means that sticking with EJ or trading for Cutler is not the plan. I would say that those are the two most common thoughts. Drafting a QB in the second is probably next, followed by Sanchez, Bradford and Locker. Where does the different direction come into play?

Ha ha, remember after the Spikes signing he was talking about "a victory for amateur journalists everywhere" or something like that.

havent we more or less traced him to a friend of someone in russ brandons family?

and yea, its so vague its worthless. odds are even this "not discussed option" has been discussed on here, just not heavily on ESPN and CNNSI.

That's a "little talked about direction"? Not here....

I think that he was referring to WGR and the Buffalo News. Those 2 probably have the broadest reach of Bills fans. RGIII has not been a popular topic within those groups.

havent we more or less traced him to a friend of someone in russ brandons family?

and yea, its so vague its worthless. odds are even this "not discussed option" has been discussed on here, just not heavily on ESPN and CNNSI.

Littman

I think that he was referring to WGR and the Buffalo News. Those 2 probably have the broadest reach of Bills fans. RGIII has not been a popular topic within those groups.

Littman

Perhaps. But the rest of the world had already considered this little talked about topic. Pretty much every news and online outlet was postualting as to what would be next for RG3.