Cautionary Tale for 2016 SB Tickets- Greediness by NFL

plenzmd1

Thanks, how disgusting that it's likely only gonna get more expensive! I will not part with that kind of money to attend another SB. Well, not any time soon. :beer:

I now feel fortunate that I was able to go to Super Bowl XIX in 1985 at Stanford. At the time I paid $125 for a $60 face value ticket bought outside the stadium.

I went down to Pasadena for SB XXVII without tickets and an approach of waiting for ticket prices to come down closer to game time backfired when demand exceeded supply. Best deal we came across had been $1000 for 3 tickets ($333 each) for what I believe were like $150 face value.

Now, with the lowest face value tickets of $800 for this year's game, I just can't justify paying that (much less any markup), even if the Bills were to make this game, just down the road in Santa Clara.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt this just anti-scalping? not forcing people into stubhub/ticket exchange? those two are just the ones that are big and refund unfulfilled orders

its not far removed from events requiring the ticket holder to show up with ID at arrival

Edited by NoSaint

well, beginning of the week it was around $2500 i would say. That was based on brokers figuring they would get the usual tickets on the street that get sold after the NFL releases that last tranche , usually on Tuesday. Come Thursday, the brokers starting scrambling when they could not get there hands on any tickets...tickets they had already sold mind you.

By Saturday, cheapest seat in the house was going for $10K on Stubhub, so prolly $7500 at the venue.

KD, interesting in that i guess the broker sites all clearly state that this could happen...and by clearly it is in the terms of service that we all read so carefully. And from what i have seen, no one has been screwed out of their money...they just did not get in the game.

And for some reason scalping is still a crime, unless you do electronically.

EBall can prolly explain that one...over my head

Scalping is definitely not a crime in NYS. Not sure about Arizona.

isnt this just anti-scalping? not forcing people into stubhub/ticket exchange? those two are just the ones that are big and refund unfulfilled orders

its not far removed from events requiring the ticket holder to show up with ID at arrival

I think everybody got refunded. Most of them got 200% back.

Yeah, my gut says that by holding the tickets back they give to players, sponsors etc(these are the ones that usually get sold to brokers) until Saturday, instead of the usual Tuesday, they knew the effect if would have on "short selling" brokers .They were just no tickets for them to buy.

StubHub cant be happy eating $5M... someones bonus for the year just went poof...be interesting to see how they and other brokers handle the Super Bowl next year, they may just bail on it and say use TicketExchange...especially with the heavy demand from the Bills participation.

We better win the sth lottery. The only year we won was 1988. We got the letter the day after the Bills lost to the Bengals. Talk about salt in the wounds!

We better win the sth lottery. The only year we won was 1988. We got the letter the day after the Bills lost to the Bengals. Talk about salt in the wounds!

I bet folks that bought on Craigslist or other non-guaranteed were pretty nervous though

The greed of the NFL is beyond belief. I really wish some one like congress would put a stop

to this non profit joke of a orginazation.

The league itself is non profit but also doesn't actually make a profit. the profits are sent through the parent company to the teams....who make money and pay taxes. So your statement is wrong.

So, it seems like lots of folks got stiffed after buying SB tickets from brokers not named StubHub or TicketExchange. Says in this article Stubhub ate $5M in tickets on Saturday to avoid defaulting or orders from some of the larger brokers that post on Stubhub.

In essense, brokers typically sell tickets they do not have early in the week when prices on the street and web are high, then buy the tickets to fulfill the order later in the week as prices typically fall.It is called short selling, and works just like short selling a stock.

However, as this article points out, a lot of those tickets are usually released by the NFL to players etc eraly in the week, but this year those types of tickets were not released until Saturday..thats why prices in StubHub were insane for this game .

My gut tells me NFL wants to own the entire secondary market for this game...and this is the way to push the other guys out.Greedy Sons o Bithes

Anyway, just thought it interesting, and also something we should all be aware of next year when we all scrambling to get tickets :worthy::thumbsup:

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2025594081_supertickets01xml.html

just so I understand I'm supposed to feel sorry for some outfit who sells tickets at over inflated prices because the NFL didn't release tickets till Saturday?

just so I understand I'm supposed to feel sorry for some outfit who sells tickets at over inflated prices because the NFL didn't release tickets till Saturday?

Well, the free market and supply and demand set the "over inflated" prices.

My hypotheses is that the NFL wants to make sure you only have one place to buy or sell those those over inflated prices, maybe paying 35% commission versus the standard 20%!now, as that is what monopolies tend to do!

Exactly. And, somebody mentioned isn't this like concert acts who do will call or whatever to get in...........Yeah, those same concert acts who then have been caught scalping their own tickets on stubhub, etc. LOL - what a joke.

Well, the free market and supply and demand set the "over inflated" prices.

My hypotheses is that the NFL wants to make sure you only have one place to buy or sell those those over inflated prices, maybe paying 35% commission versus the standard 20%!now, as that is what monopolies tend to do!

How much does the NFL charge players & team officials for those tickets?

Not quite sure I follow, but face.

Again, no one getting hurt hurt here, just thought the story interesting. Kind of stuff around the business of sports

it may be interesting, but to claim it is a sign of the league's greed seems misplaced to me. The NFL got face value for tickets and brokers took it in the shorts. That's a good outcome for me.

Thanks, how disgusting that it's likely only gonna get more expensive! I will not part with that kind of money to attend another SB. Well, not any time soon. :beer:

This isn't disgusting at all. The secondary market let the NFL know that what they were selling was more valuable than the price they had attached to it. The NFL then adjusted their prices. This isn't them being greedy this is them being smart. They are simply removing the middle man. I don't feel sorry at all for stub hub or any other places that took a calculated risk that didn't work out. If anything this story tells you of the greed of the secondary market not the NFL.

It is indeed. It also is them charging what people are willing to pay.

If I had something that people were willing to pay $10 for and was selling it at $5 only to have someone else buy all of mine to turn around and sell it for $10 wouldn't I be an idiot not to mark my price up to $10? That is all that is going on here. There are many instances of the NFL being greedy this isn't one of them.

This isn't disgusting at all. The secondary market let the NFL know that what they were selling was more valuable than the price they had attached to it. The NFL then adjusted their prices. This isn't them being greedy this is them being smart. They are simply removing the middle man. I don't feel sorry at all for stub hub or any other places that took a calculated risk that didn't work out. If anything this story tells you of the greed of the secondary market not the NFL.

It is indeed. It also is them charging what people are willing to pay.

If I had something that people were willing to pay $10 for and was selling it at $5 only to have someone else buy all of mine to turn around and sell it for $10 wouldn't I be an idiot not to mark my price up to $10? That is all that is going on here. There are many instances of the NFL being greedy this isn't one of them.

again, i am only doing this for fun..

But...The NFL does not want to set the price to high for a couple of reasons..public perception, sponsors and folks who buy the boxes at stadiums being able to buy and give away the tickets more easily, etc.

So, in your analogy , it is more akin to only having one auction house or one marketplace to sell your $10 item..so instead of getting $8 net with competing marletplaces, you might only get $6.50 net if there is only one place to sell your item.

Like I said, no one getting hurt, and of course i was kidding about us all needing tickets next year(it could happen though) , but just interesting to see it play out.

So in the end what was the point of this thread? This is not about greed as a number of posters here have pointed out that the tickets the NFL releases are at face value so there is no monopolistic profit being made by the NFL.

The linked article essentially paints a portrait of how the ticket resellers are gambling on ticket availability because they are selling what they don't actually have in hand. The victims are the buyers who don't realize they may not actually have a ticket.

So in the end what was the point of this thread? This is not about greed as a number of posters here have pointed out that the tickets the NFL releases are at face value so there is no monopolistic profit being made by the NFL.

The linked article essentially paints a portrait of how the ticket resellers are gambling on ticket availability because they are selling what they don't actually have in hand. The victims are the buyers who don't realize they may not actually have a ticket.

The main point was be careful next year if your buying tickets to the Superbowl through a broker :thumbsup:

The next point is it is interesting to see the NFL trying to squeeze people out of the secondary marketplace. The NFL wants its cake and to eat too. They dont want to put a $5.000 face on the ticket for public relations reasons, but want to control the aftermarket ...i just find that interesting and wonder what the marketplace will look like in 5 years...not just for the Superbowl but for all NFL games.

I know for one i like the option when buying tickets for Bills game at going from StubHub, to TicketExchange, and EBAY...price can be quite different for the same seat on each marketplace.

Ask someone like EBall or other season ticket holders how they will like if they only have one option of selling their ticket online, and the commision for selling that ticket goes from 20% to 40%. . Not saying that is going to happen, but we all no Rodger is all about bottom line profits if nothing else.

again, i am only doing this for fun..

But...The NFL does not want to set the price to high for a couple of reasons..public perception, sponsors and folks who buy the boxes at stadiums being able to buy and give away the tickets more easily, etc.

So, in your analogy , it is more akin to only having one auction house or one marketplace to sell your $10 item..so instead of getting $8 net with competing marletplaces, you might only get $6.50 net if there is only one place to sell your item.

Like I said, no one getting hurt, and of course i was kidding about us all needing tickets next year(it could happen though) , but just interesting to see it play out.

i guess im not sure why its just one place to get your tickets though? because they are released on saturday to people that often resell it forces them onto ticketexchange? all i read is that you shouldnt pay top dollar to someone that doesnt yet own what you are buying from them (and are hoping they can just buy it cheaper later). that article made the ticket brokers look terrible, not the nfl.

and a lot of special events and REALLY major limited ticket events are going the direction of limiting scalping through various measures. ive seen big concerts require the purchaser be present as their name is on the tickets. not just a standard will call situation like bbb made it sound. squeezing scalpers isnt just an nfl thing.

Edited by NoSaint

To answer the earlier question about scalping tickets being illegal, if you read the backs of most tickets it is only illegal if you are selling the ticket within a specified distance from the venue. That's why online selling is OK, but the guys on the street selling can be charged in most places. Some areas also have laws on how much more a ticket can be sold for over face value (you can't sell the ticket for more then 10-20% over face)

Anyone know what was the average going rate for mid-tier seating at this SB?

I know someone who paid $7K a ticket

I remember getting my winning notification that Monday also. Terrible day.