Cautionary Tale for 2016 SB Tickets- Greediness by NFL

plenzmd1

That was a terrible day!

So in the end what was the point of this thread? This is not about greed as a number of posters here have pointed out that the tickets the NFL releases are at face value so there is no monopolistic profit being made by the NFL.

The monopoly is what they are aiming for on the secondary market. Them and the heroes who do the will call thing at the gate (or credit card, for No Saint) will scalp their own tickets behind the anonymity of TicketExchange - and also get all the cuts from other sellers forced to buy their tickets there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I thought scalping was still a crime. Not to mention fraud, of which it sounds like these brokers were guilty.

Regardless, I'm having a little trouble ginning up the requisite outrage over the NFL potentially (if they actually did anything) closing a loophole that lets secondary brokers make a bundle off the NFL's signature event. I guess 'greedy scalpers' are better than 'greedy NFL' but I'm not sure why.

The brokers screwed the individual fans, not the NFL. They sold a product and then told their customers 'tough sh--' when their fulfillment costs were higher than expected. That's the risk of doing business. I hope those dirtbags all get sued out of existence.

That's the way of the world, my friend. Investors do it with oil, soy, pork, etc. Tickets are a commodity like anything else. What makes them so special that you can't profit off them? Because little Johnny's dad can't afford to take him to watch his favorite team? TFB. This is Capitalism at work.

That's the way of the world, my friend. Investors do it with oil, soy, pork, etc. Tickets are a commodity like anything else. What makes them so special that you can't profit off them? Because little Johnny's dad can't afford to take him to watch his favorite team? TFB. This is Capitalism at work.

The difference is, when I make a soybean trade, my broker isn't allowed to come back to me later and say "sorry, my commissions weren't high enough for me to get a hold of any soybeans so here's your original investment back".

But if those are the rules that are clearly and legally established for ticket brokers, I'm fine with it and have no issue with brokers making a profit or letting the market determine prices for Super Bowl tickets. But I also don't have any qualms about labeling many ticket brokers as scam artists.

Also, I was responding to the standard knee-jerk "NFL is greedy" nonsense, which was both wrong and misplaced in this thread.

Well that crap happens on Wall Street all the time. Investors get their tit in the wringer on short sales. If your small time, you're effed. If you're big time, taxpayers bail you out.

Apples and oranges. The investor is the one betting the short on Wall Street, not the broker.

Again, if individuals signed up for that deal (they only get their tickets if the broker decides he's made enough profit), so be it. But I suspect most of those individuals don't read that fine print and end up surprised when they don't get their tickets. If the NFL is doing anything to cut such unscrupulous brokers out of the process, that's a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

An update from Seattle...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/fans-still-reeling-from-super-bowl-ticket-nightmare/

Her youngest son was in tears and their family’s Super Bowl dream was fading fast as Heidi Van Boven pleaded with a ticket broker to finalize her $25,000 order for two last-minute seats.

Seahawks fan Van Boven, of Grandview in Eastern Washington, woke up Super Bowl Sunday in Phoenix to find an email that four tickets she’d purchased online for more than $12,000 nearly two weeks earlier had fallen through. Frantic, she searched a ticket marketplace that was dramatically inflated by then, snagging two seats for $24,600 from one company and a final pair for $25,500 from yet another so she, her husband, Steve, and sons John and Ryan could attend the game.

But the last broker had suddenly switched gears and demanded cash. “I yelled at him, ‘Who carries that much cash around?’ ’’ Van Boven, 46, said.

Thanks Jack. What a nightmare for people. I know hard to feel sorry for someone who can fork over $50k for tickets(anybody want to guess what those kids are like), but still sucks.

Be interesting to see the market for next year with the bills in the 50th anniversary game.

this all could have been avoided if they had used

the only 2 ligit sites for reselling Super Bowl

Tickets. NFL Ticket Exchange and Stub Hub.

both of these sites are the only way to go.

if your using any other way your taking a big

risk because these other sites are short selling

tickets they don't have. There Hoping to buy them

during the week before the Super Bowl at a price

that is less then what the sold them to fill there orders. The problem was ticket prices went double or triple over the price of the orders they

took. So they could not fill the orders. if they did they would have taken a bath. This is what you get when you have some guy running a Ticket

broker business out of his bedroom. What a joke

and who pays $50 grand for 4 tickets to the Super Bowl.