Tonight showed us one thing: great DL > great secondary

How did the Giants stop New England* TWICE in the Super Bowls, holding them to 14 points and 17 points?

DL and pressure up the middle. The Giants didn't have some imposing secondary. They had an unreal DL that crushed Brady over and over, and that helped the secondary out. A great DL can get hot and become unblockable, and that is game over. It can also shut down the run.

A great secondary is cute and all, but a great QB will pick them apart, and that is what Brady did tonight. The "Legion of Boom" crap is cute but they got owned today.

Why does it seem that the Ravens ALWAYS give the Patriots* trouble? They have a great DL that can get pressure up the middle. Half their secondary was out and it took trick formations to beat them IN New England* because the DL was controlling the game.

The Bills are following the model of the Giants and Ravens, except this DL could be better than either one of those. I say add a halfway decent CB if possible but keep Highes and let's go dominate.

I agree, but Seattle's vaunted defense could barely slow down Brady

The Pats* still scored 28

However, the Giants DL pretty much shut down the greatest offense of all time (to that point) and a team that was 18-0 coming in.

I can't wait to get Revis.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a great DL AND a great secondary!

Impartial observation. Sherman was playing with a bad elbow, Chancellor injured his knee in practice this weekend and Lane broke his arm on his INT. Lane's injury changed the Seattle defense. Simon, his replacement, was toasted often and the Seattle DL kept pressure on Brady. It is balance on defense. Seattle secondary is the best unit in the NFL. Seattle pressured Brady....hit him 7 time, sacked once and 4 pressures.

Edited by Nitro

Seattle doesn't have the dominant DL that it takes to beat Brady.

It is good enough against most QB... If you're playing Kap or whichever 5th string bum the Cardinals put out sure. But if you play a top QB he will pick any secondary apart if there is not pressure up the middle.

Luckily, we have Dareus and Kyle!

That supposed all time great defense gave up 28 points, including a 10 point 4th quarter lead.

The Giants gave up 14 total points to Brady and the greatest offense in NFL history that was 18-0 and had been blowing people out.

I put this on the D for the most part, and of course on Bevel, who is now donw getting heach coaching interviews I would imagine.

When Avril went out things got easier for Brady.

That was huuuuge.

However. ..the game plan won. The dink and dunk 3 steps throw it 7 yards made the pass rush irrelevant on most pass plays. Quinn got out schemed by McDaniels. And Brady is lethal with the underneath stuff.

Edelman was Co MVP tonight IMO.

Add the fact that Thomas Chancellor and Sherman were not right. Sherman needs Tommy John. That had to deflate the Hawks as they prepared for the game. Meanwhile, the Pats had the us vs everybody thing going. But were still a stupid play call away from losing.

Edited by Big Blitz

He wasn't able to dink and dunk vs the Giants...

Pressure up the middle stopped him... tonight he stepped right up into a void on many occasions

The undefeated team did not try that. They barely ran screens, they barely went underneath. It was still an offense centered around Moss. Lot more 5 step drops.

And am I missing something. ....the Pats strength is their secondary. Wilson had all day. Lynch ran wild.

Edited by Big Blitz

How did the Giants stop New England* TWICE in the Super Bowls, holding them to 14 points and 17 points?

DL and pressure up the middle. The Giants didn't have some imposing secondary. They had an unreal DL that crushed Brady over and over, and that helped the secondary out. A great DL can get hot and become unblockable, and that is game over. It can also shut down the run.

A great secondary is cute and all, but a great QB will pick them apart, and that is what Brady did tonight. The "Legion of Boom" crap is cute but they got owned today.

Why does it seem that the Ravens ALWAYS give the Patriots* trouble? They have a great DL that can get pressure up the middle. Half their secondary was out and it took trick formations to beat them IN New England* because the DL was controlling the game.

The Bills are following the model of the Giants and Ravens, except this DL could be better than either one of those. I say add a halfway decent CB if possible but keep Highes and let's go dominate.

Two catches go their way and the Pats are undefeated with Brady and Belli

Impartial observation. Sherman was playing with a bad elbow, Chancellor injured his knee in practice this weekend and Lane broke his arm on his INT. Lane's injury changed the Seattle defense. Simon, his replacement, was toasted often and the Seattle DL kept pressure on Brady. It is balance on defense. Seattle secondary is the best unit in the NFL. Seattle pressured Brady....hit him 7 time, sacked once and 4 pressures.

That's what you get for calling out Gronkomania brother!!!

When Avril went out things got easier for Brady.

That was huuuuge.

However. ..the game plan won. The dink and dunk 3 steps throw it 7 yards made the pass rush irrelevant on most pass plays. Quinn got out schemed by McDaniels. And Brady is lethal with the underneath stuff.

Edelman was Co MVP tonight IMO.

Add the fact that Thomas Chancellor and Sherman were not right. Sherman needs Tommy John. That had to deflate the Hawks as they prepared for the game. Meanwhile, the Pats had the us vs everybody thing going. But were still a stupid play call away from losing.

yep, I thought he should have won it out right

these playoff games tell just how far away we are from being at that level, as you have to have a top 6 qb to win at a high level. we are so far away from belonging on that field

Edited by 8and8Forever