No conspiracy but 3rd TD to Amendola clearly illegal

No. LaFell covered the LT. The formation was legal.

Hmm. LaFell covers the LT even though there are 2 slot receivers between him and the LT? If so, then you're right, it's not an illegal formation. The LOS was the 5 yard line, not the 6 as others have posited. NE had 4 lined up in the backfield, so the only question is whether the LT was covered.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's one of the most fundamental rules at every level of football. Only the outside guy on the LOS is eligible. Both side, every play.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/forwardpass

It's in the first paragraph of forward pass rules/

Given their eligible receiver games of late, I'm surprised it went unnoticed.

I'll agree with weos sentiment that it didn't effect the outcome of the play but I am surprised it wasn't flagged.

Hmm. LaFell covers the LT even though there are 2 slot receivers between him and the LT? If so, then you're right, it's not an illegal formation. The LOS was the 5 yard line, not the 6 as others have posited. NE had 4 lined up in the backfield, so the only question is whether the LT was covered.

Both Edelman and LaFell were in the exact same spot on the line. Therefore Edelman is illegal. Amendola is a half yard or yard back. If they are all off the line it's still illegal because they would have four of them.

Given their eligible receiver games of late, I'm surprised it went unnoticed.

I'll agree with weos sentiment that it didn't effect the outcome of the play but I am surprised it wasn't flagged.

It probably didn't. Watch the LB on the TD side of the field. he doesnt cover Edelman, the illegal guy, and he doesn't drop back to block the lane of the throw. But it probably didn't affect the play. It's still a blatant penalty.

I watched the scoring play on nfl.com and amnot sure what you guys are talking about. The Patriots had a TE on the right side of the formation and LaFell lined up as the split end on the left. They had 2 flankers lined up inside LaFell also on the left.

Are you saying Edelman reported as ineligible?

Trips left is not unusual or illegal. That class of formation was used thousands of times this past season by every team in the NFL.

Both Edelman and LaFell were in the exact same spot on the line. Therefore Edelman is illegal. Amendola is a half yard or yard back. If they are all off the line it's still illegal because they would have four of them.

It probably didn't. Watch the LB on the TD side of the field. he doesnt cover Edelman, the illegal guy, and he doesn't drop back to block the lane of the throw. But it probably didn't affect the play. It's still a blatant penalty.

OK, I froze the snap. I see LaFell's front foot at the 5yd, 1 foot line. I see Edelman and Amendola's front feet on the 6 yard line. What am I missing here?

(I tried to cut and paste the screen shot, but the forum denied my paste).

Edited by Fred Jackson Jockstrap

I watched the scoring play on nfl.com and amnot sure what you guys are talking about. The Patriots had a TE on the right side of the formation and LaFell lined up as the split end on the left. They had 2 flankers lined up inside LaFell also on the left.

Are you saying Edelman reported as ineligible?

Trips left is not unusual or illegal. That class of formation was used thousands of times this past season by every team in the NFL.

Is this the same play where the lineman on the left side lined up as eligible as well? Not sure if that matters at all. I don't get into the ins and outs of all the eligible/ineligible crap.

OK, I froze the snap. I see LaFell's front foot at the 5yd, 1 foot line. I see Edelman and Amendola's front feet on the 6 yard line. What am I missing here?

It's close. But they are all within less than a yard of each other. That's illegal. It didn't affect the play, and I am never going to say it affected the game. They would have scored I think.

Is this the same play where the lineman on the left side lined up as eligible as well? Not sure if that matters at all. I don't get into the ins and outs of all the eligible/ineligible crap.

It's actually not complicated. The two guys on the end of the line are eligible, the rest are not. You must have 7 guys on the LOS.

The Mickey Mouse stuff the Patriots pulled in the previous games involved the numbers being worn by the players lined up in eligible and ineligible positions. Edelman wears an eligible number, so it is totally fine for him to be eligible.

I wondered how long it would take a Bills fan to fire up replays to detect uncalled Pats penalty's. Good work, that was fast..

Did you say that to him after you watched the replay or did you say that to be self righteous?

It feels good to look down from on high ..If you watched it first and then thought it was lame then more power to you ...That is also an honest question.

Did you say that to him after you watched the replay or did you say that to be self righteous?

It feels good to look down from on high ..If you watched it first and then thought it was lame then more power to you ...That is also an honest question.

Doesn't matter if I saw it or not. I never said anything about the play it's self. I was commenting on the fact that after every NE game many posters on here can be counted on to run the film backward and forward to try to catch something NE got away with.

Doesn't matter if I saw it or not. I never said anything about the play it's self. I was commenting on the fact that after every NE game many posters on here can be counted on to run the film backward and forward to try to catch something NE got away with.

...and why does this surprise you, Yoda?

Pitiful .. It's weak to know a fact and not post than worry that someone like you will call him a whiner if he is certain about a play .. The cliche is your easy self righteousness to call him out without the respect of actually looking at the replay . He pointed it out and was passionate about it , get over yourself .