Kyle Orton and the Read Option: A missed opportunity

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you naysayers fail to comprehend is with a beefy O-line, reliable back field blocking and Kyle's ability to evade hard hits to his body, he could have potentially constituted a gameplanning nightmare for defensive coordinators. Doug Marrone was too bullheaded to see this and I'm sure KO wanted to call his own number in the huddle. #legendcutshort. #russwilsonwho

I just watched the All-22. We actually ran the read-option with Kyle Orton on 78% of all running plays. He was very judicious in the amount of times when he kept it (e.g., 4th and 1 scrambles for -3 yards, etc.).

He's a lot like Magic Johnson in that respect...more of an assist man. Still, I think that was pounded into his head by Marrone. If he had kept it more, ohhhhh boy.

He's a lot like Magic Johnson in that respect...more of an assist man. Still, I think that was pounded into his head by Marrone. If he had kept it more, ohhhhh boy.

Agreed. Another blunder by marrone. Hackett calls a beautiful read-option game and then Marrone orders his QB to ignore these huge gaping holes created by Eric Pears. Pears would just maul guys (I saw him literally pancake Suh)-- but then it was always a handoff away from the lane. I actually heard that was one of the reasons that Orton retired.

Sometimes is just takes a special set of eyes upon the problem. to solve it.

so close last year, so close it hurts

Our offense would have flourished with Kyle playing a read option style offense. Great blocking by Freddie. Chandler in the flat. Sammy open if needed. Kyle would have stayed here if the coaches let him run it. #highmotor #fastlegsquickbrain

Dude smoke another. I really hope your kidding. But if your not God help you. To run a read option the QB must be mobile