golf fans -- is Tiger Woods done?

truth on hold

He is done

It's embarrassing watching the national golf reporters go out of their way to make excuses for him, though. I thought golf and the PGA were doing pretty well; are they still that hard up that they need Tiger to be relevant again?

It's embarrassing watching the national golf reporters go out of their way to make excuses for him, though. I thought golf and the PGA were doing pretty well; are they still that hard up that they need Tiger to be relevant again?

they WANT it.

DESPERATELY want him to break Jack's record.

Opening round 76 (+4) for Tiger at Torrey Pines...good for a tie for 133rd place (out of 155) after the first round. He'll probably need to shoot 67 or better today to make the cut.

I watched a bit of it last night; he still can't drive the ball accurately and he was way off with irons which was always the best part of his game. On the other hand he had several good chips/putts. Obviously he's never going to dominate a vastly improved tour field in his 40s, but it remains to be seen if he can tighten up his game and compete.

they WANT it.

DESPERATELY want him to break Jack's record.

That ship has definitely sailed. At this point I'd say it's at best 50/50 if he can break Sneed's all time wins record. 3 isn't a lot but every tournament is highly competitive now and Tiger may not want to hang around for another five years if it ends up taking that long. That's really the biggest question: does the guy still really want to play or does he just not yet know what to do with the rest of his life.

I watched a bit of it last night; he still can't drive the ball accurately and he was way off with irons which was always the best part of his game. On the other hand he had several good chips/putts. Obviously he's never going to dominate a vastly improved tour field in his 40s, but it remains to be seen if he can tighten up his game and compete.

That ship has definitely sailed. At this point I'd say it's at best 50/50 if he can break Sneed's all time wins record. 3 isn't a lot but every tournament is highly competitive now and Tiger may not want to hang around for another five years if it ends up taking that long. That's really the biggest question: does the guy still really want to play or does he just not yet know what to do with the rest of his life.

My guess is that Tiger feels as though his career was "taken from him" -- for a multitude of reasons, all self-inflicted -- and is trying to prove something to himself and others. The problem is that he has been irrelevant for so long and there are so many good, younger players. Tiger will never again be able to "intimidate" the field as he once did. I believe he will play through this year (if he doesn't suffer any physical setbacks -- far from a given), and if he manages one or two T10 finishes in majors he'll continue into 2018. If he can't crack the 2nd page of a leaderboard in a major this year, though, I think he might give it up.

My guess is that Tiger feels as though his career was "taken from him" -- for a multitude of reasons, all self-inflicted -- and is trying to prove something to himself and others. The problem is that he has been irrelevant for so long and there are so many good, younger players. Tiger will never again be able to "intimidate" the field as he once did. I believe he will play through this year (if he doesn't suffer any physical setbacks -- far from a given), and if he manages one or two T10 finishes in majors he'll continue into 2018. If he can't crack the 2nd page of a leaderboard in a major this year, though, I think he might give it up.

Yup, the intimidation days are over and he'll likely never crack the top five again. But he can still be one of the gang of the next 20 guys who have a realistic chance to win if none of the top guys is on their A game that week. Can he deal with that reality? I think you're right -- he'll see how it goes in the majors but if he goes two years without a win or sniffing a Sunday in a major he may hang 'em up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...