UFC - The Spider Returns

LB3

Tomorrow night marks the return of two of the sports most polarizing fighters, when Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz square off in the main event of UFC 183. Both are coming off of long layoffs. Silva, who many consider the GOAT (GSP for my money), is returning from one of the most gruesome leg injuries I've ever seen while trying to reclaim his title back in December 2013. Diaz hasn't fought since he quasi-retired after losing in his title bid against GSP back in March 2013.

When the fight was first announced, my reaction was, "meh". As it has gotten closer though, I've become more intrigued by the match up. On paper, it would appear as though Silva should destroy Diaz. Diaz is moving up a weight class to face off at 185 against Silva, who has always been a big middleweight. Silva's had multiple fights at light heavyweight even. The size advantage is hugely in Silva's favor. Both have great boxing, but Silva has more power.

What Diaz will lack in size, he'll make up for in toughness and will. It is one of the reasons he is such a big fan favorite. He always comes to scrap, and has a rock solid chin. His cardio is elite. He never tires and turns up his punches in bunches as the fight goes on. The other reason he's so loved (and hated) by the fans is because of his contempt for corporate mma and the media. He was pulling the Marshawn Lynch act before Marshawn Lynch.

A lot of questions will be answered tomorrow. Will either fighter have ring rust? Will Silva fight with no regard for his leg? Will Diaz shake off a punch by talking sh*t to Silva like he has every other fighter? Is either capable of another title shot run? If Diaz can drag it to the later round, this is going to be a great fight. The further it goes the better chance Diaz has.

My prediction, Silva by 2nd round knockout.

Tyron Woodley vs Kelvin Gastelum in the co main event should be a great fight as well. Two athletic wrestlers with knockout power. I've got Woodley putting the first notch in Gastelum's loss column.

Anyone else going to be watching?

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Silva at his prime I still think was best ever, although Jones may surpass him. But age and attitude have caught up with him. The first loss to Weidman was embarressing, the 2nd was horrific. IMO he doesn't have many fights left him. Unlike boxing where former champs can hang around as tin cans for years, when mma guys lose it the sport is too brutal for them to hang around (e.g. chuck liddell)

Edited by JTSP

Silva at his prime I still think was best ever, although Jones may surpass him. But age and attitude have caught up with him. The first loss to Weidman was embarressing, the 2nd was horrific. IMO he doesn't have many fights left him. Unlike boxing where former champs can hang around as tin cans for years, when mma guys lose it the sport is too brutal for them to hang around (e.g. chuck liddell)

You're likely right, but I'm still curious to see if he bucks the trend and comes back strong. What I don't want to see is what is happening to Dan Henderson right now. Someone needs to force him to stop for his own good.

You're likely right, but I'm still curious to see if he bucks the trend and comes back strong. What I don't want to see is what is happening to Dan Henderson right now. Someone needs to force him to stop for his own good.

predicting this one is hard though because as you say diaz has been out a while too and hes undersized. idk...ill go with draw setting stage for rematch :)

Wow! Gastelum comes in 9 lbs over! If he doesn't have an injury this just looks bad.

UFC 183 Main Event:

185 lbs.: Anderson Silva (186) vs. Nick Diaz (185)

170 lbs.: Tyron Woodley (170.5) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (180*)

Rest of the results at the link...

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/1/30/7945497/video-ufc-183-weigh-in-results-anderson-silva-vs-nick-diaz-live-stream-updates-las-vegas-mma

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

It's official, there is never going to be another middleweight title fight. Weidman out of 2/28 title fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/chris-weidman-injured--title-defense-versus-vitor-belfort-at-ufc-184-is-off-002712213.html

That sux Weidman is my boy, he better get on HGH to heal faster.

Well I still have Connor McGregor , the next FEATHERWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!!!!