Ooooooh, they look sooooooo cute...Let's feed them!

I read a story a few years ago about a tourist at a national park (I forget which one) having her three year old hold out food for a bear. The bear came over and took the food...and the three year old's hand.

This has, comparitvly, a much happier ending. At least it was the person who made the increadibly stupid decision who paid the price.

I read a story a few years ago about a tourist at a national park (I forget which one) having her three year old hold out food for a bear. The bear came over and took the food...and the three year old's hand.

I couldn't find that story, but did find this similar one from Russia in 2007...

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/07-08-2007/95761-bear_hand-0/

And here's another lost hand, also in Russia...

http://rt.com/news/168656-bear-bites-child-russia/

Funny back in the day it was probably instinctive by humans to not feed bears and be cautious of them... I guess that was lost over the years of living in areas where no bears really come around.

Maybe not feed, but watch. Back in the day up in Long Lake, New York... People would always go and watch the bears feed @ the open dump... Get really close too. When a bear would move towards the people, the people watching would jump back.

I guess the bears were satisfied and didn't get out of line. Now that open dumps are a thing of the past (transfer station and then the rubbish is hauled off)... People can't use the "fly paper" approach anymore. Believe me, back in the day, people would have been just as idiotic... Or more! Just different enviro times. Don't think it is lost on the ursa major too... Given the scarcity of easy food, they do take the lazy way out. Just saying...

EDIT: What I am saying is that they get mad an ornery without an open dump... No more left over Froot Loops and yesterday's half-eaten Pop-Tart. Being a big bad carnivore, without easy sweets, you'd get pretty testy too living on berries, grubs, and small rodents. Back in the day, people would still feed them, just throw more garbage in the dump. Why all of a sudden are they wondering into town when they never did for 150 years... Sure they would have been shot back in the day... LoL... But they had a place to go and be satisfied. People still fed them and still acted idiotic, just that there were other protections in place. People have always been idiots and there have alwsy been unintended consequences. My argument is that they have always been fed one way or another... Just getting more dangerous when they are more hungry.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois