What do you think will happen with Jerry Hughes?

YoloinOhio

Jerry Hughes  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the outcome of Jerry Hughes's pending FA?

• Bills will sign Jerry Hughes during FA
    • Hughes will sign with another team in FA
  2. 2. If Hughes is not signed by the Bills, how should he be replaced?

• Signing another FA pass rusher (i.e. JPP, Pernell McPhee, etc)
    • Drafting a pass rusher in 2015
    • With a player currently on the roster (Jarius Wynn, Randell Johnson, etc)

Thank you sir. I agree...the "non-exclusive" tag would probably work with guys like Brees or Calvin Johnson...not so much for Hughes. But would it hurt the Bills (if they do decide to franchise him) to hit him with the "non-exclusive" rather than the excusive just in case someone out there is willing to deal 2 first rounders?

I really think the days are gone of teams being wiling up give up 2 1st rd picks for a franchised player. Picks are the treasured currency due the rookie contracts.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you sir. I agree...the "non-exclusive" tag would probably work with guys like Brees or Calvin Johnson...not so much for Hughes. But would it hurt the Bills (if they do decide to franchise him) to hit him with the "non-exclusive" rather than the excusive just in case someone out there is willing to deal 2 first rounders?

pro: maybe he finds a great deal from a team willing to trade a single 1st, or something we would accept

con: maybe he finds a great deal from a team only willing to trade a late rounder but the attractive deal poisons our talks.

its tricky because you looking at 2 firsts and a MONSTER deal. any guy worth that is pretty much unable to be lost by the team holding his rights.

Edited by NoSaint

I really think the days are gone of teams being wiling up give up 2 1st rd picks for a franchised player. Picks are the treasured currency due the rookie contracts.

Absolutely. Even top 10 picks cost pennies these days. But I am surprised that more teams do not use the Transition Tag.

Absolutely. Even top 10 picks cost pennies these days. But I am surprised that more teams do not use the Transition Tag.

I also don't know what "Transition" tag is...is that "Non-Exclusive Franchise" or something altogether different?

Agreed

pro: maybe he finds a great deal from a team willing to trade a single 1st, or something we would accept

con: maybe he finds a great deal from a team only willing to trade a late rounder but the attractive deal poisons our talks.

its tricky because you looking at 2 firsts and a MONSTER deal. any guy worth that is pretty much unable to be lost by the team holding his rights.

Good analysis

Edited by BringBackFergy

I also don't know what "Transition" tag is...is that "Non-Exclusive Franchise" or something altogether different?

no compensation involved but you get the right of first refusal.

hughes goes, shops himself, signs a deal elsewhere and you can choose whether or not you want to take that contract or let him play it out in the other city.

pro: all parties get to see the market, and decide if its what makes sense

con: you lose any compensation (franchise tag related, or comp picks the following year)

Edited by NoSaint

no compensation involved but you get the right of first refusal.

hughes goes, shops himself, signs a deal elsewhere and you can choose whether or not you want to take that contract or let him play it out in the other city.

pro: all parties get to see the market, and decide if its what makes sense

con: you lose any compensation (franchise tag related, or comp picks the following year)

Thanks NoSaint...clears things up.

The price for Hughes just went up: JPP was just tagged, and allegedly the Skins are working out a deal with Orakpo. There ain't many pass rushers on the market outside of Greg Hardy, who comes with his own issues.

There's a TON of pass rushers out there:

Adrian Clayborn

Derrick Morgan

Anthony Spencer

Kroy Biermann

Dwight Freeney

Brandon Graham

Pernell McPhee

Brooks Reed

Jabaal Sheard

There's a TON of pass rushers out there:

Adrian Clayborn

Derrick Morgan

Anthony Spencer

Kroy Biermann

Dwight Freeney

Brandon Graham

Pernell McPhee

Brooks Reed

Jabaal Sheard

Morgan is the one guy who is competitive with Hughes. And he's simply not as productive as Hughes (not even close, actually). Hughes is the best of the lot. Freeney is just about done. He had 3.5 sacks and 7 tackles in 16 games last year.

Edited by dave mcbride