Hackett learns lot from St. Doug - How to opt out/Join Jax

According to Rappaport and LaContortia, Hackett has pulled out of the OC job for the Rams.

Jim Thomas says the 2nd interview may still happen.

Maybe Hackett is just staying with the Bills and knows he won't get the OC gig.

EDIT: Became more clear after, he opted out to join Marrone in Jax.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Rappaport and LaContortia, Hackett has pulled out of the OC job for the Rams.

I'm sorry but this entire post including hackets situation with the bills makes no sense to me.

I read somewhere the Bills were trying to keep him. Maybe he is getting a new title, Passing game coordinator?

Well, he isn't working for Marrone...perhaps he is just staying close to St Doug, assuming he gets a HC job next year. As a pride thing, I am not surprised he isn't staying in Buffalo, though I think it was classy of the Bills to make a pitch for him, as with Peppers.

Doug is the Assistant Head Coach, so obviously he has something to do with the hire. Hackett would have been better off being offensive coordinator for the Rams. Unless he has some assurance that he will be promoted once Jax tanks this year, moving Doug to HC and Hackett to OC. And the seasons they go round and round.

pretty odd that he would turn down a chance for an OC position for a downgrade to QB coach

I assume he knew he wasn't likely to get the OC job, otherwise you're right. He might have been held back by Saint Doug, but Marrone did give him his first good gig as OC in Syracuse and his first big NFL gig as OC in Buff. Marrone will get some job, maybe in college, if not the NFL and Hackett will be an OC again.

IMO, Marrone is counting on Bradley being a bum and taking over in Jax, maybe as soon as next year, and Hackett is right there with him.