Mike Glennon FA

Most OC's would prefer an accurate qb who has good pocket presence and understands defenses over a great athletic qb who is lacking in the other areas. Having a qb who is inaccurate is being operated by a surgeon who doesn't have steady hands. It's a trait that disqualifies you from having success.

What good is extending plays if you can't consistently hit your receiver? Can an inaccurate qb be taught to be more accurate? Yes, but up to a certain point. When you watch Rodgers, Brady, Manning and Brees there is a precision level that can't be taught to someone who is an erratic passer.

I agree with you that both of the qbs you mentioned are candidates to be brought in, among many others. Who the front office brings in is the most interesting offseason issue to considered. It will give you aclue on how the organization believes EJ is a viable option.

And, I would also add that throwing on the run has never been regarded as a strength of EJ, even though he is considered "athletic" whatever that means.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind he lost out to Josh McCown twice this season

Yet it can be quite easily determined that he outplayed McCown on the field...In fact Glennon's stats from his Rookie season were better than the vet McCown's were last season...So... B-)

Keep in mind he lost out to Josh McCown twice this season

But remember that Lovie Smith has a Lovie for McCown. That said, he should be decently easy to get from Tampa, and is another young arm to compete with EJ. At the very least, he is better than Tuel, and provides a backup option. I would enjoy a FA Vet, EJ, and Glennon competing for the starting spot. Then, we also have ample backups.

Edited by RyanC883

Most OC's would prefer an accurate qb who has good pocket presence and understands defenses over a great athletic qb who is lacking in the other areas.

Correct... but career completion percentage (accepting that it isn't the absolute definitive proof of accuracy):

Glennon - 58.8

Manuel - 58.6

It is hardly significant is it? I repeat when I watch Glennon (and I have seen enough to make a judgment) I see the same inaccuracy as I see with EJ on those key intermediate 10-20 yard routes with tight windows. He has shown better accuracy on deep balls, but it is not a significant upgrade on EJ as far as accuracy goes and given the tiny difference I think EJ's mobility does actually trump the tiny improvement in accuracy deep downfield.

I don't like Glennon as an option for the Bills, and I repeat I would not give up a pick for him, but if he gets released might I bring him in and see what he has? Possibly, yes, if I thought he might be my best shot at proper competition for EJ - and may the least bad win.

Edited by GunnerBill

Correct... but career completion percentage (accepting that it isn't the absolute definitive proof of accuracy):

Glennon - 58.8

Manuel - 58.6

It is hardly significant is it? I repeat when I watch Glennon (and I have seen enough to make a judgment) I see the same inaccuracy as I see with EJ on those key intermediate 10-20 yard routes with tight windows. He has shown better accuracy on deep balls, but it is not a significant upgrade on EJ as far as accuracy goes and given the tiny difference I think EJ's mobility does actually trump the tiny improvement in accuracy deep downfield.

I don't like Glennon as an option for the Bills, and I repeat I would not give up a pick for him, but if he gets released might I bring him in and see what he has? Possibly, yes, if I thought he might be my best shot at proper competition for EJ - and may the least bad win.

I pretty much agree with this take, I like him as competition for EJ too. I want EJ to have a chance to prove he can be the guy. If they bring in anyone like Bradford, I think the fans will be clamoring for Bradford immediately. Never mind the fact Bradford will be hurt in a matter of games, setting us back yet again. I would give up a 5th or later for Glennon, so we differ on opinions there. I would add that in addition to similar completion percentages, while Glennon has more career passing yards -- their yards per attempt are damn near identical as well. Pretty similar quarterbacks froma pure numbers standpoint. Cream would rise to the top in a competition.

Edited by Show Me The Baby

Kurt Cousins or Mike Glennon are not Brady or Manning, but they are worth a 5th round pick. I would trade for one for competition for the starting job, not hand him the starting job. I would still look for someone else also, like Bradford if he was cut.

Edited by bisonbrigade

I can't believe there are still people on the Cousins bandwagon. He's another one who I would be OK being brought in to compete, but not if we have to sacrifice a draft pick to do it.

I think that Cousins is a lot better than those on this board give him credit for. He threw a lot of int's this past year because he was trying to do too much. Coaching can fix this. He is aggressive & the Bills could use a QB with some balls.

Kurt Cousins or Mike Glennon are not Brady or Manning, but they are worth a 5th round pick. I would trade for one for competition for the starting job, not hand him the starting job. I would still look for someone else also, like Bradford if he was cut.

Kirk Cousins. Sorry, I don't mean to be that guy, but that one bugs me :doh:

Glennon - 58.8

Manuel - 58.6

I'm not touting any particular qb candidate. My point dealt with the issue of the most important traits for a qb.

Someone else brought up Kellon Moore as a qb option. He is very accurate and can read defenses. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he has an adequate arm. Although he isn't tall he has a commanding presence about him.

Edited by JohnC