Tipping: Has this happened to any of you?

Compared with most people here, I'm apparently an extravagant tipper. I usually only frequent the same places, and have a favorite item that I get almost all the time. I enjoy receiving priority. Most of the time, a large portion of my bill is 'comped'. As a result, I wind up paying very close to what I would had I tipped the appropriate minimum, and sometimes even less.

The comping of items and the larger tip are directly tied together though. Would you still be tipping like that if you were in some random place for the first time and didn't get that treatment?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The comping of items and the larger tip are directly tied together though. Would you still be tipping like that if you were in some random place for the first time and didn't get that treatment?

No, I would tip around 20-25% for decent service, but I would tip more heavily if I wanted superior service the next time I was there.

I'm a dumbass and need to stop being a dumbass. I usually tip 20% because the math is easy. However I do it on the total amount including the tax. Well that tax adds 10% to the total F&B and then I add 20% on top of that? :wallbash:

Oh and tipping someone at a counter? Never. I tip you to bring me my food and clear away my dirty dishes.

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm a dumbass and need to stop being a dumbass. I usually tip 20% because the math is easy. However I do it on the total amount including the tax. Well that tax adds 10% to the total F&B and then I add 20% on top of that? :wallbash:

Oh and tipping someone at a counter? Never. I tip you to bring me my food and clear away my dirty dishes.

... and to ask how everything is, get me some Tabasco, make sure my drink is never empty, answer questions about menu items and tell me what the specials are.

Giving me a bag of food that I paid for isn't tip-worthy.