Tipping: Has this happened to any of you?

I know we've talked about this before, but for the first time, I actually saw a jar that said, "Take Out Tips," on it.

I'm not a believer in tipping someone for take out. I was not there to pick up food; I was there to eat in. But I found the jar to be rude and forward.

Then take out the tips. HAHA! See what I did there? I bet if you made that joke to someone there, you'd be the first person to have told them that one.

But I'm the same way. The only time I've tipped take out is at this little Mexican place by my work. The waitress would bring me some chips and salsa while I waited, which isn't customary, so I give her a dollar.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started seeing a lot of suggested tip amounts starting at 20% lately and displaying 25% and 30% options. In a cab the other day the machine had a default of 25, 35 of 45... Needless to say I selected other. Honestly was pretty annoyed and went lower than normal for the attempt to either trick or shame people into a 35% or higher tip

Edited by NoSaint

unless there are no other choices I avoid "baristas" and their tips

something to think of when tipping.

recently I've seen some receipts that have a suggested tip shown on them [1] and using a tip calculator app I noticed a mistake I often made. So let me ask if you do the same

When tipping do you tip on the total amount??? Or tip on for just the food & beverages?

If you have a smart phone compare that [1] using a tip calculator of what you you tip on and then check the values.

The suggested tip [1] is based on the meal before taxes.

I assume a lot of people like me (used to) tipped on the total bill food plus tax.

hope that makes sense

I only tip (20% rounded up to the nearest whole dollar) on the pre-tax total. And that's how it should be. If you want to tip on the total including tax, that's your prerogative.

I know we've talked about this before, but for the first time, I actually saw a jar that said, "Take Out Tips," on it.

I'm not a believer in tipping someone for take out. I was not there to pick up food; I was there to eat in. But I found the jar to be rude and forward.

See, i am just the opposite. I think in preparation of the food...they actually do a good bit of work.Now, they dont have to clear plates, fill water glasses etc so I usually leave 10% on takeout .

hahahahahahah "only 2 beers"...that's a good one.....but yes

well, they 36 oz in Philly no?

i am 20% at least 98% of the time, when i am at my local pub, i am at least $10 tip(they take care of me) unless of course 20% would make it higher than $10, then i do 20%

Same here. 20% is my bottom and bartenders get more usually. I don't tip at sub shops or Starbucks unless I experience exceptional service (1 out of 10 probably ).

Compared with most people here, I'm apparently an extravagant tipper. I usually only frequent the same places, and have a favorite item that I get almost all the time. I enjoy receiving priority. Most of the time, a large portion of my bill is 'comped'. As a result, I wind up paying very close to what I would had I tipped the appropriate minimum, and sometimes even less.