Tipping: Has this happened to any of you?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unless there are no other choices I avoid "baristas" and their tips

something to think of when tipping.

recently I've seen some receipts that have a suggested tip shown on them [1] and using a tip calculator app I noticed a mistake I often made. So let me ask if you do the same

When tipping do you tip on the total amount??? Or tip on for just the food & beverages?

If you have a smart phone compare that [1] using a tip calculator of what you you tip on and then check the values.

The suggested tip [1] is based on the meal before taxes.

I assume a lot of people like me (used to) tipped on the total bill food plus tax.

hope that makes sense

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

+1

I don't tend to tip for someone to pour me a cup of coffee.

Exactly. They act like they're some sort of chef that mastered the art of pouring coffee.

Also, I never tip places that have a tip jar. That's asking for a tip. A tip should be something I choose to leave because of how impressed I was with the service. Don't try to guilt me into it. Except for a bar, because they're serving 10 different people at once and are running around and it might not be safe to leave it on the bar. But a coffee shop serves one person at a time.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I figured the story was going to go a different route. When I figure out the tip, I pretty much ignore the change. So if 20% comes out to $5.35, I just give the $5 (cheap I suppose, but just call me lazy). With the automatic 20% button, they're now going to get that extra 35 cents. It might not seem like much at first, but it'll add up over time.

i am 20% at least 98% of the time, when i am at my local pub, i am at least $10 tip(they take care of me) unless of course 20% would make it higher than $10, then i do 20%

I fully agree.

As for technique, I simply move the decimal to get 10% and double. If the server was great, I add a bit more.

I know we've talked about this before, but for the first time, I actually saw a jar that said, "Take Out Tips," on it.

I'm not a believer in tipping someone for take out. I was not there to pick up food; I was there to eat in. But I found the jar to be rude and forward.