FA QB option: Matt Moore

YoloinOhio

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you go with someone has started recently and wants to start. Moore has been a backup for the last few seasons and is probably content with that role, especially being that he is in Miami. Best option is to trade for either Foles or Bradford but the price should be a low pick. Bradford of course is an injury risk. As for a free agent, I like Locker (injury risk too) but if healthy is a legitimate contender and will compete with Manuel for the starting gig. Hoyer and Sanchez would be alternatives, maybe even Mallet or Gabbert who are both young and could turn it around. Gabbert played for the 49ers last year.

I think you go with someone has started recently and wants to start. Moore has been a backup for the last few seasons and is probably content with that role, especially being that he is in Miami. Best option is to trade for either Foles or Bradford but the price should be a low pick. Bradford of course is an injury risk. As for a free agent, I like Locker (injury risk too) but if healthy is a legitimate contender and will compete with Manuel for the starting gig. Hoyer and Sanchez would be alternatives, maybe even Mallet or Gabbert who are both young and could turn it around. Gabbert played for the 49ers last year.

Gabbert played part of one game for the 49ers last year, where he completed a stunning 3 of 7 passes for 38 yds and 5.4 YP/A. He had 27 games prior to that to show what he had, and threw more INTs than TDs, looked like a deer in the headlights, and just generally sucked.

I wouldn't mind Locker. He's a FA and should not command a high price, but those impatient with EJ after 14 starts puzzle me if they see better in Locker. He's shown the same up-and-down uneven play as EJ did, except he sat his first year and (presumably) learned, and then there's the injury history.

I'm not sure what it means to say "Foles and Bradford price should be a low pick". Do you mean that's what you think the Bills should offer for them, or that's what their respective teams should be willing to accept for them? If you are the GM of the Eagles or of the Rams, why do you think you should accept a low pick for a young QB who has shown flashes of quality play in a QB poor league?

Gabbert played part of one game for the 49ers last year, where he completed a stunning 3 of 7 passes for 38 yds and 5.4 YP/A. He had 27 games prior to that to show what he had, and threw more INTs than TDs, looked like a deer in the headlights, and just generally sucked.

I wouldn't mind Locker. He's a FA and should not command a high price, but those impatient with EJ after 14 starts puzzle me if they see better in Locker. He's shown the same up-and-down uneven play as EJ did, except he sat his first year and (presumably) learned, and then there's the injury history.

I'm not sure what it means to say "Foles and Bradford price should be a low pick". Do you mean that's what you think the Bills should offer for them, or that's what their respective teams should be willing to accept for them? If you are the GM of the Eagles or of the Rams, why do you think you should accept a low pick for a young QB who has shown flashes of quality play in a QB poor league?

I agree that if those QBs are worth anything, their respective teams will be asking for a lot more than a low pick.

I can not believe how many people are for signing Matt Moore. MATT FREAKING MOORE!?! I'd rather have Kyle Orton no question. Orton throws more accurately if you can believe that. You all are nuts. I'm for Locker and Hoyer to push EJ. IF Bradford is let go, he's number one. Lol Matt Moore.

Orton retired. He's gone. Bye-bye! So, you know, he's not really available. Hoyer is not leaving Cleveland, and even if he did, he's not a good fit. Bradford is who I want as well, but the chances they make a deal for him are remote, you can't ignore the QB position while holding out hope for Bradford -- especially when Bradford comes with his own question marks.

Moore is the best UFA (key qualifier) available, and adding him at least provides stability and depth at the position. Right now we have zero depth at the most important position on the field. Moore will address that, while adding viable competition for the starting gig. Moore isn't my number one choice to be the starter in '15 for the Bills, but I'd love to see him on this roster as depth at least.

Edited by GreggyT

The bolded doesn't make any sense to me...

Also - I doubt Miami wants to dedicate a contract of that size to a backup when Tannehill is very durable and holding down the starting role.

Edited by YoloinOhio

they didnt watch those guys struggles and just saw the highlights in the league and remember draft day.

ive said it a ton but if EJ had the exact same career for the raiders, or vikings, or.... and they cut him today, he would be at the top of a lot of posters wish list as a "young guy with all the tools and a great work ethic that has shown potential in a bad situation"

Edited by NoSaint

they didnt watch those guys struggles and just saw the highlights in the league and remember draft day.

ive said it a ton but if EJ had the exact same career for the raiders, or vikings, or.... and they cut him today, he would be at the top of a lot of posters wish list as a "young guy with all the tools and a great work ethic that has shown potential in a bad situation"

One of the differences in perception with EJ is that usually when a rookie QB is starting for a team, it is on a bad team. Unless it is an Andrew Luck (outlier) the expectations are low, often they are rebuilding, and the QB is given a lot of leeway in chucking the ball around, its ok to make mistakes, its all in the name of "development." EJ is looked at as "holding the team back" because he was starting for a competitive team - when he actually needed the same type of development. The comparison I see is Roethlisberger, who was given the reigns to a good team and asked to not make mistakes his rookie year. Obviously, it turned out better. However, Ben is a better overall talent and Cowher a better HC. But people see Geno, Bortles, Carr, etc. throwing the ball all over the place with abandon and wondering why EJ can't do that too and clearly he's just Trent Edwards. I don't really see it that way, at least not yet.

Edited by YoloinOhio

s

I meant to say that they should not give up a high pick if they trade for either QB. Granted both teams may command a lot of compensation but stranger things have happen. Rams may want to offload Bradford due to cost and injury history.

I agree that Gabbert is terrible and don't have much faith in him. Hence there are better options but competition needs to be brought in via free agency and draft. Hopefully, Manuel can it around and his doubters wrong.

A few years ago when he came up for FA after Tannyhill got there and was the starter he came up for FA. But he re upped with the Fish.

I'm not sold on him. He had one sort of decent season in Carolina. Whenever I've seen him play for the Fish in relief or PS, he has looked mediocre at best.

I'm hoping we can somehow do better than him.

If nothing else, I'd rather take Kellen Moore.

Kellen Moore? Because his steller track record of 3 years in the NFL and 0 regular season touches persuades you he could really get it done? :flirt: Seriously help me understand the Kellen Moore love.

Matt Moore had the typical first seasons of a "project" or "potential" QB in Carolina, some good games, some bad games not helped by playing his longest stretch on a 2-14 joke team

He had a decent season for the Marine Mammals in 2011. The thing is, when have you seen him play for the Mammals in relief? He's thrown exactly 29, count them, 29 pass attempts in the last 3 years.

s

I meant to say that they should not give up a high pick if they trade for either QB. Granted both teams may command a lot of compensation but stranger things have happen. Rams may want to offload Bradford due to cost and injury history.

I agree that Gabbert is terrible and don't have much faith in him. Hence there are better options but competition needs to be brought in via free agency and draft. Hopefully, Manuel can it around and his doubters wrong.

Stranger things have happened... Lynch trade for one....true. I doubt they happen with regard to Foles or Bradford, but they could.

That said, what would you consider the highest compensation on our side in a trade?

Kellen Moore? Because his steller track record of 3 years in the NFL and 0 regular season touches persuades you he could really get it done? :flirt: Seriously help me understand the Kellen Moore love.

Here's my Kellen Moore theory:

He had a monstrous career at Boise St. throwing a ton of TD passes (many long) and only lost a few games as a 4 year starter.

Then he went to Detroit where he sat behind a franchise QB (Matt Stafford) for 3 years.

We often lament here on TBD that it's a shame QBs must start right away. A QB should sit and learn for a few years first. That's what Kellen's done.

I'm not saying bring him in to start, bring him in to compete.

There are a couple of other guys in the same boat. Ryan Mallet and Tyrod Taylor who sat behind Tom Brady and Joe Flaco respectively.

Instead of bringing in vets who have played and played not very well, let's try something different. Bring in the guy who had a good college career and studied behind a franchise QB for a few years instead of being thrown in to sink (probably) or swim.

Hopefully this helps you understand my position.

I read a piece a year or two ago that made a fairly convincing case for Moore being better than Tannehill. I don't know if I agree with that at this point, but he was pretty good the last time he saw significant action back in 2011. In 13 games (12 starts) he averaged 7.2 ypa, threw 16 TDs to 9 INT, and went 6-6 with a sorry Dolphins team that went 0-4 in games he didn't start.

I doubt he'll make any pro-bowls but he's a decent pro that will give us at least Ortonesque production if not better, and if EJ or someone else beats him out for the starting job then he will have earned it.

I agree. I also like Hoyer who seems to be a good Play Action QB. That would be important if we are going to be a run first team.

He had a monstrous career at Boise St. throwing a ton of TD passes (many long) and only lost a few games as a 4 year starter.

Then he went to Detroit where he sat behind a franchise QB (Matt Stafford) for 3 years.

We often lament here on TBD that it's a shame QBs must start right away. A QB should sit and learn for a few years first. That's what Kellen's done.

There are a couple of other guys in the same boat. Ryan Mallet and Tyrod Taylor who sat behind Tom Brady and Joe Flaco respectively.

Instead of bringing in vets who have played and played not very well, let's try something different. Bring in the guy who had a good college career and studied behind a franchise QB for a few years instead of being thrown in to sink (probably) or swim.

Rag arm QBs cannot win in the NFL. Virtually never. Not one has won a SB. Very, very few can even be decent. Being short is an extremely hindrance to 99% of QBs. Moore has a rag arm and is short. The double whammy. He literally has no chance to succeed at anything resembling a high level in the NFL.

He can play decent in preseason when real bullets are not flying.

I can not believe how many people are for signing Matt Moore. MATT FREAKING MOORE!?! I'd rather have Kyle Orton no question. Orton throws more accurately if you can believe that. You all are nuts. I'm for Locker and Hoyer to push EJ. IF Bradford is let go, he's number one. Lol Matt Moore.

Helloooooooooo DukeyyyyyyyyBommmmmmmmb! Orton has retired. Orton is not an option.

Bradford will be let go in a GM's wet dreams. If we're dreaming about unattainable QB, I'd rather have Steve Young.

You can prefer Locker and Hoyer to Matt Moore if you want, I have no problem with that - arguments can be made. But if you want someone to take your manaical laughing attack seriously, you need to muster an argument about why two guys with 56.5% and 57.5% career completion are better than a guy with 58.9% career completion; why a guy who throws an equal number of TD and INT is better than a guy who at least throws more TD etc etc etc.

Edited by Hopeful

I think Moore is worth exploring in FA. He currently doesn't have a chance to start in Miami as Tannehill doesn't miss games, even when hurt. He's making 4mill/yr because he's valuable to the Fish and is a former starter. He knows the division well. At the very least I think he could be good vet backup, similar to Orton. Thoughts?

@DolfansNYC: Dolphins free-agent profile: QB Matt Moore http://t.co/aOyEdrbcbq#Dolphins

No Not Really. I'd rather live and die on EJ then bring in recycled garbage.

Yes, it does, thanks. Essentially you're saying, take the Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young approach and go with the unproven dark horse who had talent in college over the proven-average NFL QB. It's not an unreasonable (albeit risky) approach and could be one part of our plan. He's a FA.

The thing is, Kellen Moore went undrafted because of concerns that he was too short and that his game wouldn't translate to the pro's. Some short QB do make it (Wilson, Brees), but it's a handicap.

I would def. be more on board with Ryan Mallet if available. I expect the Texans to try to re-sign him.