New Bills coordinators met with media 1/27

YoloinOhio

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BuffaloBillsPR: #Bills OC Greg Roman and DC Dennis Thurman will be made available to the media tomorrow at 1:00 pm in the media room.

What do you hope to hear from each coach?

Nothing....just want next season to be here....plus they're not going to say anything important

Good list of questions John, but I can already give you the answers.

- Do you feel Sammy Watkins was underutilized last year?

"I wasn't here last year so I can't speak to that, all I can tell you is we are going to look at every way to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers and Sammy Watkins is an outstanding playmaker. We are excited to have him."

- Do you feel that running a dive on 1st down is critical to drive success?

"I think you have to be balanced. That is what every team is striving for - balance. We will try to mix it up and not be predictable but we are going to run the football."

- What is your opinions on OT's moving to OG....is that a good thing or a bad thing (Kujo)

"I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. We are going to look at the guys on the roster on the o-line and evaluate what we have and go from there. I looked at Koundjio coming out and I thought he had some strengths and we are excited to see how he comes along."

- How vital are TE's gong to be in this offense

"We are going to try and fit the offense to the strengths of the guys we have. If we have a guy at tight end who is making plays for us then we are going to get him the ball often."

- Do you feel we have a true NT on the team if we are going to run 3-4

"I think we have some terrific players ont he defensive line. We are going to look at them and evaluate their stengths and fit our scheme to the talent that we have."

- Do you feel that our secondary is better suited to play press coverage........is that a important factor in your defense

"We are not going to just do one thing on defense, we will make sure we are able to play some press and some zone and put our guys in the best situations to make a play."

- What is the plan now for Kiko Alonzo as he was out all year and now comes back to yet another DC

"The first thing is making sure Kiko is ready to go physically. If he is we are excited to have him back he is an explosive player who makes plays."

- Spikes?

We are still in the evluation phase and part of that is looking at our guys that are free agents and seein which ones we need to try and bring back."

- What will Hughes role be in this D? Do you feel he is a every down player in this D?

"Jerry Hughes is an outstanding football player. Clearly he has the option to explore free agency if he chooses but we want him back here, and if he is we will put him in positions to make plays."

- When we hear that "competition" will be brought in at QB......exactly what TYPE of competition? Former QB starter, trade for a starter, draft?

"We are not going to tie ourselves to a specific type of guy. I think as Rex and Doug have said we are going to leave no stone unturned."

I'm currently reading Collision Low Crossers- recommended read for Bills fans- and it makes mention of Rex allowing his coordinators access to the media. His thinking is that he wants them to use it as professional development- see Pettine. Anyhow, I appreciate the approach. Aside from the occasional Hackett interview, we never got that from St. Doug. Many teams are extremely restrictive in this respective- see hoodie

Good list of questions John, but I can already give you the answers.

- Do you feel Sammy Watkins was underutilized last year?

"I wasn't here last year so I can't speak to that, all I can tell you is we are going to look at every way to get the ball in the hands of our playmakers and Sammy Watkins is an outstanding playmaker. We are excited to have him."

- Do you feel that running a dive on 1st down is critical to drive success?

"I think you have to be balanced. That is what every team is striving for - balance. We will try to mix it up and not be predictable but we are going to run the football."

- What is your opinions on OT's moving to OG....is that a good thing or a bad thing (Kujo)

"I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. We are going to look at the guys on the roster on the o-line and evaluate what we have and go from there. I looked at Koundjio coming out and I thought he had some strengths and we are excited to see how he comes along."

- How vital are TE's gong to be in this offense

"We are going to try and fit the offense to the strengths of the guys we have. If we have a guy at tight end who is making plays for us then we are going to get him the ball often."

- Do you feel we have a true NT on the team if we are going to run 3-4

"I think we have some terrific players ont he defensive line. We are going to look at them and evaluate their stengths and fit our scheme to the talent that we have."

- Do you feel that our secondary is better suited to play press coverage........is that a important factor in your defense

"We are not going to just do one thing on defense, we will make sure we are able to play some press and some zone and put our guys in the best situations to make a play."

- What is the plan now for Kiko Alonzo as he was out all year and now comes back to yet another DC

"The first thing is making sure Kiko is ready to go physically. If he is we are excited to have him back he is an explosive player who makes plays."

- Spikes?

We are still in the evluation phase and part of that is looking at our guys that are free agents and seein which ones we need to try and bring back."

- What will Hughes role be in this D? Do you feel he is a every down player in this D?

"Jerry Hughes is an outstanding football player. Clearly he has the option to explore free agency if he chooses but we want him back here, and if he is we will put him in positions to make plays."

- When we hear that "competition" will be brought in at QB......exactly what TYPE of competition? Former QB starter, trade for a starter, draft?

"We are not going to tie ourselves to a specific type of guy. I think as Rex and Doug have said we are going to leave no stone unturned."

You have all the verbal attributes for being a coach.

I'm currently reading Collision Low Crossers- recommended read for Bills fans- and it makes mention of Rex allowing his coordinators access to the media. His thinking is that he wants them to use it as professional development- see Pettine. Anyhow, I appreciate the approach. Aside from the occasional Hackett interview, we never got that from St. Doug. Many teams are extremely restrictive in this respective- see hoodie

I have this book on my reading list and it seems even more relevant to the Bills now with the hiring of Rex.

I have this book on my reading list and it seems even more relevant to the Bills now with the hiring of Rex.

I would highly suggest folks on this board read the book. I'm only about 25% in, but it's a rare glimpse inside the game and Rex's philosophy. Also some of the assistants that he's brought to Buffalo. People will also find the Pettine material interesting too.

Dennis Thurman says he burns inside to beat the Pats*

he says he doesn't care if players talk in the media if they can back it up.

(McLovin you are on notice!)

Greg Roman sounds very no nonsense.

Said EJ will have a clean slate as what he was asked to do previously may not be relevant to what he is asked to do going forward

He wants to exert will at the LOS. Run the football to a level where people respect and fear the Bills and to where it can control the game

Pulled the "Look at my track record. The greatest predictor of future success is past results." on a reporter (not sure who) who doubted he could run the ball after he was told that by others.

Said he could have been #1 in rushing in SF every year if that was his goal. But his goal was to win games.

"The Pegulas and their commitment to making a winner in Bflo" was the one thing he came away with from the interview with the Bills

"Rex and I both felt like if we ever got together on the same staff at some point, it would be pretty good."

Edited by YoloinOhio

How so?

CBF

Just in terms of press conference approach and style. When the Bills media rep tried to avoid him getting questions and he brushed him aside and answered, for example.

Btw- D. thurm sounds like Charlie Murphy.

Edited by Jamie Nails

Roman indicated he wants to beef up the TE position and wondered aloud where the FB fits in

Not many "obviouslys" in this press conf

Very positive on Watkins. Knowing him, he will only be committed to improve.

Compared Rex to Harbaugh in passion

CJ -- where does he fit in - how much value - "dynamic back, playmaker, versatile, will have to see how it all plays out"

He wants to eat the whole pie (in terms of what type of OL he likes)

Can't comment on whether his staff is complete on offensive side

More from Thurman:
@JoeBuscaglia: #Bills DC Dennis Thurman: Collaborative playcalling effort on game day. The calls come out of Rex's mouth first usually.

On whether the base scheme will be a 3-4 or 4-3: @JoeBuscaglia: #Bills DC Dennis Thurman: The scheme is whatever the talent dictates. It's whatever our guys do best. Edited by YoloinOhio

As expected, a complete waste of time in terms of anything enlightening.

They did speak about offense like it was 1975 though. Hopefully they put more emphasis on the passing game than they are letting on.

i have a feeling you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting an emphasis on the passing game

i have a feeling you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting an emphasis on the passing game

My hope is that they actually do cater to their personnel and that's not just coach-speak. If we can't upgrade at QB, then yes, I'd agree with a heavy run attack.

But I would have felt much better had they said that they understand how the league is now and that you need to have the opposing defense fear your passing game to compete with the big boys. But again, I don't take much of what was said today as anything important.

My hope is that they actually do cater to their personnel and that's not just coach-speak. If we can't upgrade at QB, then yes, I'd agree with a heavy run attack.

But I would have felt much better had they said that they understand how the league is now and that you need to have the opposing defense fear your passing game to compete with the big boys. But again, I don't take much of what was said today as anything important.

I think they realize that even if we sign a vet QB, it won't be a top 10 QB. Success in the passing game will most likely be a result of the opponent fearing the run game. I think they know it is a passing league to beat the big boys, but not much they can do about that if they don't have the type of QBs the big boys have that allows the opponent to fear the passing game.