Pepper Johnson to Jets, DL Coach

boyst

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The example makes no sense. You are trying to compare Marrone leaving the team with Pepper leaving the team. Or that somehow Buffalo was disloyal to Pepper. I can't figure out which one it is or if it is both. Marrone left the time on his own volition. He decided to opt out of his contract with 2 years left. Pepper left the team because he didn't have a real position. The reason he didn't have a real position was because Marrone left and new HC came in. The only person in Buffalo who was "disloyal" to Pepper was Marrone. Maybe Marrone planned to hire Pepper when he got into his new HC gig. Welp.

Pepper left the team of his own volition too.

Might not be an argument if his all best players had been on the field in that game.

I'm not following?? Besides for the Seattle secondary was there a better position group in the NFL last year than the Bills DL? He was one of the main reasons by most accounts. If you want to pretend that he did a bad job because of the Hughes incident by all means go for it. The reality is that the unit that he was responsible for was elite and the best that they ever were.

He has long been considered a "next in line" for a DC position guy. That is why he came to the Bills. He thought that working with that unit would give him that opportunity. He did get at least one DC interview (Giants) but they went back to Spags. He will probably be considered again next year as spots open up. He is about as close to a proven commodity as you are going to find as a position coach.

Bounced around? He coached the Patriots line or linebackers for 14 straight years, his only job besides the Bills.

Regardless. He proved nothing coaching the Bills line. Anyone not named Wannsatche could have got production from that line. As for the being "next in line" for a DC position, he had his chance in NE and despite being a line coach for 9 years (not 14), he was suddenly let go by them. Not only was he not considered for a DC position by NE, but he wasn't even considered for one by the rest of the league. And, now, he still doesn't get a DC position. So, maybe he is proven, proven not to be DC material.

Yes and he was the position coach for arguably the strongest position group in the NFL.

As it was under Pettine.

Regardless. He proved nothing coaching the Bills line. Anyone not named Wannsatche could have got production from that line. As for the being "next in line" for a DC position, he had his chance in NE and despite being a line coach for 9 years (not 14), he was suddenly let go by them. Not only was he not considered for a DC position by NE, but he wasn't even considered for one by the rest of the league. And, now, he still doesn't get a DC position. So, maybe he is proven, proven not to be DC material.

There are so many false statements in here. He interviewed for one this year. The Pats didn't really want to lose him but felt that he earned a chance to chase that DC job. He will be one after next year. He's a good coach and has the utmost respect around the league.

I'm not following?? Besides for the Seattle secondary was there a better position group in the NFL last year than the Bills DL? He was one of the main reasons by most accounts. If you want to pretend that he did a bad job because of the Hughes incident by all means go for it. The reality is that the unit that he was responsible for was elite and the best that they ever were.

I don't think he turned those guys into elite players. I think they just happen to be elite players who benefited from good game planning. Schwartz & Pettine.

Sometimes good coaching is knowing when to get out of the way. After that incident I don't trust his judgment.

I don't think he turned those guys into elite players. I think they just happen to be elite players who benefited from good game planning. Schwartz & Pettine.

Sometimes good coaching is knowing when to get out of the way. After that incident I don't trust his judgment.

Fair enough

I guess that the way that I look at it is that Mario, Dareus and Hughes each just had their best season. The depth guys (Wynn, Charles, Bryant) played well also. There are a bunch of reasons why that happened (scheme, natural development, etc...) but Pepper is pretty high on that list. With that being said, the guy that the hired has a great reputation as well.

Wasn't that more tongue in cheek? Seems he was in Gailey's doghouse a lot.

my impression was they didnt always get along fully, but they had a functioning relationship and stevie liked chan. i dont think you get away with dressing up as your coach or changing your twitter handle to his name if you openly dislike the guy. typically theres some level of affection with stuff like that.