Pepper Johnson to Jets, DL Coach

boyst

Can't you ever just see something for what it is besides something awful? Rex has worked this defense for several years with the same guys. When he gets the Bills job he brings the best of them with him. Every single coach does that. Dunbar is known as one of the very best in the league. It would be worse for the Bills to let Johnson coach the team's linemen over Dunbar because Johnson doesn't know it as well. Rex offers Johnson a spot but Johnson knows it's not going to be a big high profile job. So the Jets offer him the DL job that Dunbar had. There is no bad guy here. Anywhere.

I'm not viewing this as a negative. I just find the double standard of loyalty and what is "right" to be laughable.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not viewing this as a negative. I just find the double standard of loyalty and what is "right" to be laughable.

What is a double standard? And how is "I guess Pepper saw some Buffalo loyalty firsthand. Best defensive line in the NFL? Let's force our D-line coach to quit or get demoted." not a negative?

You don't think our D-line is just as good? I don't know who we keep in 2015, but in 2014 I think the Jets had an equally effective line as the Bills and we had WAY more depth.

I didn't notice the Jets depth but I would find it hard to believe. The Bills ran eight deep on the DL. There was a drop off to a small degree but most of the time the second FOUR were very good. And the Bills also had four standouts, three Pro Bowlers and a guy with 10 sacks who was the 14th rated DE in the league and about to be paid 12m a year, while I see the Jets having three standouts.

What is a double standard? And how is "I guess Pepper saw some Buffalo loyalty firsthand. Best defensive line in the NFL? Let's force our D-line coach to quit or get demoted." not a negative?

Because I was making an example. I realize that what happened with Pep is business, but compared to other recent events, it's a double standard.

Expect coaches to stick around because of some warped sense of loyalty, but they get treated like crap in return and it's just business.

Edited by FireChan

LeBeau has always had very good talent where he has been. He has likely done this on purpose.

Well...yeah...

He hasn't exactly hopped around the league. He was in Pittsburgh for a really really long time if you add both stays together and I have little doubt that he held some sway over defensive player selection as his tenure went on.

Because I was making an example. I realize that what happened with Pep is business, but compared to other recent events, it's a double standard.

Expect coaches to stick around because of some warped sense of loyalty, but they get treated like crap in return and it's just business.

Why was he treated like crap? If Jim Schwartz was named HC of the Jets he would have likely brought Johnson with him, and maybe made him DC.

Why was he treated like crap? If Jim Schwartz was named HC of the Jets he would have likely brought Johnson with him, and maybe made him DC.

Of all the ways people get treated less than great in the NFL this is a strange one for FC to dig in on. Rex had a guy that was more qualified that he had worked closely with, but offered pepper both freedom to find another job and promise of a fall back if he needed it and somehow it's treating him bad?

Edited by NoSaint

Of all the ways people get treated less than great in the NFL this is a strange one do FC to dig in on. Rex had a guy that was more qualified that he had worked closely with, but offered pepper both freedom to find another job and promise of a fall back if he needed it and somehow it's treating him bad?

Really. If anyone dicked over the previous coaching staff it was Marrone. No new HC ever just takes on the entire existing staff. Johnson made a lateral move. The Bills could have blocked him from even interviewing. They didn't. He had the best of both worlds given the situation. He still had a job/contract and was free to look for other ones.

I didn't notice the Jets depth but I would find it hard to believe. The Bills ran eight deep on the DL. There was a drop off to a small degree but most of the time the second FOUR were very good. And the Bills also had four standouts, three Pro Bowlers and a guy with 10 sacks who was the 14th rated DE in the league and about to be paid 12m a year, while I see the Jets having three standouts.

I think it boils down to what you consider Coples to be. He is listed as an OLB, but he is a DE. With Richardson, Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison as our main starters and Douzable& Ellis rotating in, I think they were the best group in the league. The stats in 2014 don't exactly support that but remember, we had ZERO talent in our secondary, even though our last 2 #1 overall picks were defensive backs.

Your defense was much more complete, therefore your d-line looked better.

Edited by Momentoftrth

Agreed. We have the best overall line in the league.

I think it boils down to what you consider Coples to be. He is listed as an OLB, but he is a DE. With Richardson, Coples, Wilkerson, Harrison as our main starters and Douzable& Ellis rotating in, I think they were the best group in the league. The stats in 2014 don't exactly support that but remember, we had ZERO talent in our secondary, even though our last 2 #1 overall picks were defensive backs.

Your defense was much more complete, therefore your d-line looked better.

That's a good point. And I think Wilkerson and Richardson are great, If I had to choose a foursome, I would choose Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams and Hughes easily over the Jets four including Coples. I don't think people realize how good Mario, Dareus and Hughes are individually, and Kyle has always been good.

The example makes no sense. You are trying to compare Marrone leaving the team with Pepper leaving the team. Or that somehow Buffalo was disloyal to Pepper. I can't figure out which one it is or if it is both. Marrone left the time on his own volition. He decided to opt out of his contract with 2 years left. Pepper left the team because he didn't have a real position. The reason he didn't have a real position was because Marrone left and new HC came in. The only person in Buffalo who was "disloyal" to Pepper was Marrone. Maybe Marrone planned to hire Pepper when he got into his new HC gig. Welp.

That's a good point. And I think Wilkerson and Richardson are great, If I had to choose a foursome, I would choose Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams and Hughes easily over the Jets four including Coples. I don't think people realize how good Mario, Dareus and Hughes are individually, and Kyle has always been good.

They are starting to realize as the NFL 100 best players indicated last year. I think Dareus was 62, Kyle like 28 and Mario in the teens. I think that Dareus and Mario will be higher this year and Kyle still in the top 50. In addition, Hughes should crack the list. Of the 100 best players in the whole league 4 will be on the Bills DL. There are other good DL (Jets, Rams, Etc...) but the Bills are certainly the top.

They are starting to realize as the NFL 100 best players indicated last year. I think Dareus was 62, Kyle like 28 and Mario in the teens. I think that Dareus and Mario will be higher this year and Kyle still in the top 50. In addition, Hughes should crack the list. Of the 100 best players in the whole league 4 will be on the Bills DL. There are other good DL (Jets, Rams, Etc...) but the Bills are certainly the top.

two first team all-pros on the same DL plus two upper echelon players is better than any other DL in the league, IMO. KW is borderline elite, Mario and Marcel are elite, and Hughes is a very, very good pass rusher.

While that is true, Chan is a coach that does more with less. We just had a coach that does less with more.

I agree. I liked chan as an o cord. Head coach not so much. He is creative an adjusts his scheme to suit his players. With a top qb he would have had more success. However he took the NJ job with still no qb.

Edited by snamsnoops